Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

^sorry but yuck.
    Big OG headlights and the goofy sort of chopper tank air cleaner tells you where this one is going.

If you are trying to sell this as a late 40's triple threat car(street,salt,show) car I really don't think any sort of flame or scallops go. Just my opinion.

And rattle car bumper chrome can hide the repairs in the windshield frame till you figure something else out.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The key to this outcome is you...I am generally in awe with the build outcomes here at the Hamb...we're amongst many diverse backgrounds in the hobby...and when your canvas is at the stage where paint is being applied I fully expect you will be busy in a critical thought process much as you obviously do now...I find your decisions well thought out and a joy to witness.

Your build is uniquely yours and will look like no other and when you hang out here you realize how much pressure some were likely under to follow and many proudly with good reason stuck to their visions...that butt ugly Berardini Roadster pulled 384000k...I would never compare it to anything other than the History it represents. It truly is a favorite of mine. My reference to Butt Ugly is poking fun...Ha Ha funny...around here it doesn't generate that much hoopla...I know I did a thread on it...some interest...not huge however...to be noted that Roadster was a Drag Machine as well not a Lakes Racer...I think...and there were 2 in the Team...

I look forward to you moving ahead and getting this closer to profile and get a few more shots to work with possible period inspired color and as for my artistic input I have seriously enjoyed stepping back and trying to be there...with your build the canvas of course...I'm glad it provoked some positivity.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    chryslerfan55 and Runnin shine like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hot-rod-magazine-issue-1-1.jpg

:rolleyes:...here's a 1948 Pinto...

Just to solidify the presence of this whipping up dust, records and not looking like ass doing it...

The color on this Hotrod was something as well...

4d52c981975065832e4e456b8da3a718.jpg

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  4. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Shine
    Build it the way you envision, don't be swayed by what other people say. That is my only point.

5. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I would like to get this messy thread back on track though I have nothing of substance to report.
    I just have to share one last nonproductive story. Today the Mrs, myself, and the kids stop off at the drive in for fried grub. Sometime while there I tell Beaumont one day we may actually bring the hot rod here. We continue on with eating and cover many topics by the time we make it back home. As I throw away some trash I’m the last one coming up to the garage. I here my wife saying to the kids “and to think your dad says we’ll take this to get root bears and greesy food in this someday, hows that gonna work?” I chime in “ yeah, someday, wait, what the hell does that mean” as her snarkyness starts to register. She gestures at the windows. I say “people have been driving these things to get a bite for near 70 years, I didn’t invent this stuff”. She asks “how the heck you gonna do that?” I say “it’s still got windows how’s that a problem, you can still get food in there?”. She then states “you need the window rolled up 3” to put the tray on”. I make a dumbfounded oh? face and add “four baby root bears please”.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Lol

Uh, turn them sideways?

Stogy and Runnin shine like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Better yet, no fenders = outdoor seating!

Stogy likes this.
  8. .. off topic, but I used to work at a bullet proofing firm. Their gun ports, were literally, hinged ballistic steel, ports on the inner door panel. Pull the upholstered, velcro'd plug, from inside ... then push the gun barrel thru the hinged port ... to start blasting thru the door panel skin at assailants.

Maybe you can weld in some root beer ports. Lol. Bam, bam.

chryslerfan55, loudbang, Tim and 3 others like this.
  9. Love the story!

Runnin shine and Stogy like this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Oh shit!!! The front windshield hinges! You’re fuckin fine get an extra large just have em walk it around front

Stogy likes this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just open the Suicide Door...:D

Runnin shine likes this.
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man some of those sonic type places have stalls so tight I don’t know if you could even open the door with out hitting something.

Maybe with a narrow early ford I guess

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  13. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

There are no car hops anymore anyway! You are good.

Or get it in cans, they will fit through the widows sideways if they are not opened.

brEad and Stogy like this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

We have them literally all over here. More of them than star bucks somehow

Stogy likes this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As long as the frame is a can or so high at its lowest point and it fits sideways through the window your good...:D

Used to be a cigarette package as I have heard...probably in those Post War Hotrod Movies...or maybe it was the Street Hotrod Gospel talked here...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

We have more than a few but can’t come close to Starbucks.
    The windshield would be harder than the doors and the quarters would be easiest. But if the louvered roof insert stays at home they could drop stuff down through the top. If they’re on skates this would be an no-brain’r. When standing directly next the car you can’t see in the sides. You have to bend way over to peer in. With the top You can see right in there.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  17. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

How's the chop coming? Have ya mocked up a seat and see if you are going to fit!

loudbang, Stogy and Tim like this.
  18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Seats may need some tweaking.
    I haven’t been making much progress cause a bunch family life and medical stuff keeps coming up. This week and next I’m all in on my mini bike work cause of big annual race on the 20th. The following day I’ll be back on it until the 24th. I have to get the hernia I just found out about fixed. A couple weeks later I get a vein procedure in my leg.
    The problem with stopping is I loose momentum and where the hell I was at.
    I have been messing with the cowl. I needed to be more precise with the door gaps before moving on. I can’t make any sense out of weird things I did to Firewall mostly to get hood to fit. I’ve been using my commercial grill cause my re-pop(brookville I think) is off.
    The chop stuff seems easy once I am certain the lower body is right.
    My new dilemma with the top though is the rusty corners in the insert channel. I thought I had some in my box of extras but no. So I will have to make’m. I waisted a day considering welding in a steel louvered top. But that’s not what I want.
    I have a promise to myself that I will have the body together before the end of the year. If I start body work after New Years I’ll be stoked. The floor, wheel wells, and windshield opening may hold me up.

Stogy likes this.
  19. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Sorry to hear about the medical shit.
    The hernia might set you back three weeks or so, mine did. But then again I got up the morning after and went to a gun show for six hours and walked off the painkillers. Not that bright. Varicose vain repair is nothing. You will be back welding before the blood dries.

Getting old ain't for wimps.

brEad, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Terry any pics...I mean you can't come into the thread and give us that info without sharing a pic...The fact you fellas did it even better...The origins of the Berardini Flames/Licks/Streamers could very well have been Shines period of build interest...Thats how we learn...well at least one way...;)

So Stogy's fingers are crossed and I'm sure Shine and many others share the same interest...;)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    Runnin shine likes this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shine Healing thoughts your way...Hospital stuff sucks...but sometimes you have to do and let the pros help make the Engine run better...been there.

rkkoehler and Runnin shine like this.
  22. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

Stogy, I don't know where a pic of the '38 is, but there is sort of related stuff on page 190 of "Scrapbook" by The Rodders' Journal. Bob and I were two of the three mentioned who rode from Oklahoma to California in Jim Perkins' '40 Ford Coupe. Guy Stroud was the fourth. Guy and Bob are gone. I was the youngster, turning 15 that summer. I've sent Jimmy B the 8 mm film from that trip.

The engine for the '38 came out of Perkins' '40 when he put the much hotter one from his roadster into it. The '38 went from a dark blue to white primer with the red "flames" over a holiday period in order to change the looks of the car when Bob went back to school. He had to go through a small town and worried the town's policeman might still be looking for the blue '38 which outran him.

I had our '34 with nailhead for my high school driver.

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it on the film you give @Jimmy B?...

I have to chuckle a bit about lying low with an inconspicuous white with bold red flames coverup...:D...yeah you won the blue contest but won another...that's funny...I guess it worked...Hoodlums...;)

Runnin shine likes this.
  24. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

The film Jimmy B has was shot with our Uncle's Bolex camera, so done in California. After Perkins' '40 got its headliner (Gaylord's shop), he and Guy went back to Tulsa. Bob and I stayed in Long Beach with our Grandparents and went to drag strips most weekends. Most of them should be on the film, and perhaps some shop scenes. We went home on Greyhound at the end of the summer.

I don't remember that I saw the film after we shot it, but it is possible it has several of our annual trips to Calif on it; thus, some could be earlier than 1954 and some later. Bob may have spliced several films together; I guess there could also be Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas shots with our parent's camera. I think I got the film can from him in the 1980s. Jimmy B plans to scan it to digital, then copy frames to post. He has to buy equipment he does not have to do that, so it is not clear when we'll start seeing pieces (if anything is in focus and framed correctly!).

25. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

So? Ya getting anything done?

26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Hell, I don’t know if they should revoke my hot rod card for being so lame or for still mulling over the @Stogy salt steam stripes?
    IMG_9425.JPG
    And since it’s been a long while since I put up a pic of another car with similar color.
    IMG_0109.JPG
    I did fiddle a while back on the beginnings of my own louver dies to do the roof insert maybe.
    I was actually cleaning off my work bench tonight to get going again. With the kids being home the next four weeks I don’t really see much happening though.
    I will say that this pile ain’t leaving less they pry it from my cold dead corona hands. That’s an insensitive way of saying I really love my nineteen thirty two four.

27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Coincidentally I made another one of them collages for the garage with some scraps. I have to relocate the old one I did cause I’m moving the door that goes into the house. So I did this one real fast to coordinate my placements.
    IMG_0369.JPG
    Laughable I know

chryslerfan55, Tim and Stogy like this.
  28. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Ya quarantine is going to be fun!

Stogy likes this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Runnin shine, as an Artist I have inner joy when an Artwork gives me positive vibes...especially when it is an inspiration based on others inspiration in this case the Hubba Hubba...this has happened several times here...

I have no expectations other than sharing my inspirations with Hambers like yourself as I get this Vintage Hotrod Love and Inspiration is pretty much all I have to offer whether it be Blah Blah Stogy or Artsy Stogy...

I'm heartened that the Art moved you into Inspiration of what could plausibly be...

Running, quality takes time and hang on to your dreams...You've made it quite clear...that's a given...you are a talent...I am very excited for all you share with this project and the Collage You crafted is wonderful...

A Wish of Good Health to You and Your Family in light of this crisis...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and Runnin shine like this.
  30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

In fashion we called them mood boards. Weather it’s the wall, a screen saver, a folder full of photos or a board we all do it.

Try to sneak out to the shop if even for ten minutes a day for a sanity break and give your spouse the same. Being stuck inside with a bunch of people who have had cabin fever for three months is rough.

brEad, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 3 others like this.