Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tires, for those who know a guy...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Budget36, Oct 10, 2019.

1. v8flat44

v8flat44

I get tires from local Ford dealer as cheaply as i can anywhere for my late model. Never tried white walls or other hot rod related. Think i'll check that out.

2. 26Troadster

26Troadster

we have a couple small tire stores here and i do business with them as much as i can. the company i work for will travel a couple counties away to buy from a ford dealer. i try not to go to wally world and if i do i will not self check out.

3. Budget36

Budget36

I'll look for it tonight when she get's home.

4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Wow, a solution to the "replace your tires after 5-6 years" problem; just buy your tires from Walmart!
    Years ago I was looking at a particular type of Goodyear tire. So the same tire with a Woolco name on the side at Woolco. Checked the warranty, price, etc. Warranty mileage was about 5% less at the Woolco store. Bought them and they wore great. No issues at all for an identical Goodyear tire made with the Woolco brand name on the side. Woolco is now out of business but I wish it wasn't.

5. jim snow

jim snow

Back in March got 4 Hankook tires for the coupe. Fresh date codes made in U. S. A and reasonably priced from a independent tire dealer. I’m very happy. Snowman

6. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I wore out a pair of 255-70-15 Goodrich TA's on my '36 Ford pickup and did a search by size on the 'net. The Goodrich's came up ( a lot higher priced than I got them before), Cooper has their Cobra's for a little less but I don't care for the tread pattern. Pep Boys house brand also came in this size so on the way home from a visit to my son in Michigan, we stopped at a Pep Boys in Joliet and checked them out. They had them in stock and I bought a pair and so far, I like them. I think they'll last at least as long as the TA's for quite a bit less money.

Gary

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

You dont have to let them check your receipt. After you pay for the merchandise, it belongs to *YOU*. Fourth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States prohibits unreasonable searches and seizures. I go to Walmart every week and have never allowed them to stop me at the door.

8. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

BA50269C-33EF-4BF6-968E-BC6155A926FF.jpeg
    Would those Pep Boys tires be the Futura Super Sport tires..?

I’ve had a couple of sets of those and they seem to be pretty good tires. The first set I had came on a car I bought and the tires looked pretty good but after about a year, two of the tires developed blisters on the tread sections. I took them to the local Pep Boys store and was looking for the same size 235/60/14 as I had on my car. I spoke with the guy at the counter who turned out to be dept. manager. I didn’t BS him. I was straight up honest with him that I bought the car with these tires on it and that they looked to be low mileage but were separating.. If you have a set in the size I need I’ll probably buy them but I asked him if they had any kind of warenty on their tires.. He looks at me nodding yes as he asks “you bought these tires here right” to which I replied “yes”. I had the wheels and tires off of my car with me in my truck. So we went out to look at my tires and the looked good tread wise but they were 12 years old according to the date code. He prorated my tires and discounted the new set which he didn’t have to do since the tire were so old and I really didn’t personally buy them from Pep Boys but sometimes you get a lucky break.. And this was my lucky day..

These tires have been quiet, good wearing, good handling, and good looking.. Its my understanding that the Futura tires are made by Cooper.. Mine are made in Mexico..

9. trollst

trollst

Since I was a young man, I buy everything I can from the mom and pop stores. My local tire guy knows me by name, gets me what I want and sponsors my car show. He and other mom and pop shops sponsor sports teams, contribute to the local economy and raise families here. Walmart self checkouts sponsor nobody.
    My dad ran a small shop, some of you run small shops, in the end, it costs no more to keep them in business than to run to walmart or anywhere else.
    I also buy from costco, being in a small town, we go and load up three times a year on expendables like toilet paper and goodies we just can't get here, but on a daily basis, I shop at my local parts guy, my local tire guy, a small electronics shop, the local dollar store, I even buy my car show tee shirts from the local lady because they need my help to pay their bills too. We have a small town newspaper, a whole 4 pages a week, costs $30 per year, a complete waste of money, but employs two people, I pay less for a years papers than I do for lunch for the boss and I one time. Think about that next time you buy cheap tires.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    JimMartley and Baumi like this.
  10. Budget36

Budget36

Found time in the daylight to get the date codes, I think these are it...

3mpr2118, 3mpr1918, 3mpr4718, 3mpr2018. If I understand things correctly all tires made in 2018. 21st, 19th, 47th and 20th weeks of the year?

11. Budget36

Budget36

Well, we don't have Mom and Pop stores in this once small own anymore, they mostly sold out to developers and took the money and ran with it. Good for them.

The last M&P store near me was a hardware store, it was one town over (about 6-7 miles away) and I'd go there for everything, older gentleman and his wife had been running it since I was a kid (57 now). The gentleman passed away, the wife ran it until the inventory was gone, then sold out. This was 8-10 years ago.

Now days I see no reason to spend an extra $125 on a set of tires to make anyone happy.

If that's pissing in your breakfast bowl, then it is what it is.

12. GTS225

GTS225

I guess that's not too bad, really. I've heard of folks getting shafted with 4-year-old tires, and they can't do a doggone thing about it.

Roger