Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Steeling out a Fibreglass 1932 5 window coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by wizard of Oz, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Hey.
    My son and I are projecting a 1932 Hiboy 5 window coupe - made a fibreglass. Body is originally from Oklahoma. It has had some steel work done but there is a little left to go. Does anyone have some tips or a schematic to assist?

Any thoughts are welcome. Cheers.

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Study the steel inner structure of Wescotts coupe (3W).

Some others also here:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=wes...0wurkAhVNvZ4KHTGrC-kQuIIBCDU&biw=1280&bih=656

wizard of Oz and scrap metal 48 like this.
  3. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'm all eyes and ears on this topic. I recently bought a 'glass 33 Willys. What reinforcing work that had been done will probably be carefully removed and replaced with new wood and steel. The body I've seen that has some really nice reinforcement is New Age.

Lynn

DIYGUY and wizard of Oz like this.
  4. brading

brading

Thought this might help Steel Away 1.jpg Steel Away 2.jpg Steel Away 3.jpg

5. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

I used UPAC steel and wood in my glass body 32’. Check it out! Who made your body?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    shortypu and wizard of Oz like this.
  6. biggeorge likes this.
  7. I am not sure - I was told it came out of Oklahoma - but the manufacturer is unknown - hope someone out in HAMB world can tell me?

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It might depend a bit on when it was built. In the late 90's it seemed that the list of outfits turning out glass 32 Coupe bodies were everywhere. There were five or six different manufacturers with 32 bodies (coupe) a the 1998 Pleasanton Goodguys show that August. Some really nice and some lacking a bit.
    As mentioned above the steel framework in Wescott bodies is stout and I believe glassed into the body in the mold.
    Some photos of the interior structure of the body might help someone give a better idea of it's origination.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  9. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Check out New Age Motorsports "half cage" setup. It ties the body to the frame really nice and all hinges and latches are mounted in steel. Several good pictures on their web site.
    SPark

10. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Are all the body parts the same thickness throughout? If it’s a chopper gun layup the thicknesses will vary! My body is about 1/8” thick everywhere, making it easy to fasten the UPAC pieces, wood and steel, including the driprails and the inside metal, making it easy to install a swing out windshield.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Will they sell the framework separate though? they don't list it in their parts list. That sure is a stout looking setup though.

12. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I doubt it would fit other bodies as well as their bodies. By looking at it, you will see it's a fairly simple build. Use the pictures as a template.
    SPark

pprather likes this.
  13. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

great info, bookmarked

14. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

May not apply here but when I de-wooded my 34 Chevy I found that measuring the hole/space the wood come out of and the getting the closest rectangular/square/angle to start with saved a lot of hassle. Some had to be special ordered but worth the wait. Some had to be plasma cut from flat plate and then boxed with the correct width strap but it turned out well. Everyone but the termites are now happy.

biggeorge likes this.
  15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here's a 32 3W steel out without the body, if you've access to a Hossfeld bender, all those radius bends are a breeze.
    Make sure you plan ahead and think about subframe crush tubes, door and trunk hinges as well as locks, dash reinforcement for upper column mount, seat mounting as well as upper and lower seat belt mountings. Cross bracing (Triangulation) will keep the body from flexing and shudder, plus it'll be structurally sound and safer than timber.
    32 steelout.JPG

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's how Wescott do their 3W body, added intrusion bar in door and 'A' pillar
    upload_2019-10-12_21-4-43.png

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    54reno likes this.