Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Does your hot rod or custom have any leaks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

There's always a few small oil drips when I back out of the garage

1959Nomad likes this.
  2. My four banger Model A cabriolet has the slightest oil leak, rear main, but less than a quart in 500 miles; plus a water leak of two quarts in 200 miles.

my 51 392 (avatar) uses some oil on the road, but leaks only a little oil and a little PS fluid in the garage floor. ...nothing to worry about, just check levels every so often and keep fluids in trunk.

3. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Drove my new buggy home in the rain last night and found out the windshield leaks! I gotta wet leg, and was afraid I'd fill up my boot!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    bobss396 and MMM1693 like this.
  4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yep, the only leak in my 30 pickup is a leak from the trans when the car sits for more than a few weeks. I assume it is the oil in the torque converter draining back to the sump, and then the sump gasket probably leaks, at least that's what I think it is; but if I drive it regularly it never leaks, only when it sits for more than a few weeks.

1959Nomad likes this.
  5. Aaron65

Aaron65
    from Michigan

Seven old cars, at least five leak. One has a Dynaflow, and it's the worst of the leakers. One is a Corvair, so it leaks eventually, no matter how many new seals and best practices I use. I try not to worry too much as long as they're small drips (and not new drips).

bchctybob likes this.
  6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

As I posted above, my 30 pickup does not leak, or at least it doesn't drip oil or coolant on the floor/ground when parked, except for the trans will leak and make a huge puddle whenever it doesn't get driven for more than 3 - 4 weeks, like when I'm doing some work on it and can't drive it. That's when it will leak. And the puddle will spread way out. But if I drive it regularly it doesn't leak. There are a few places where it will seep oil, like the intake manifold bolts, or the front of the intake manifold, but those are just seepages that collect, never enough to result in a drip, and from time to time I will wipe them off with a rag. No big deal.

The 47 coupe though, the 350 leaks through the rear main seal, it does mark it's territory with that. But that's about it. It's not bad enough to make me want to fix it, or attempt to. It's a pretty common problem.

7. my gasser has no fluids that leak out, however getting caught in the rain it will let a lot in the car!

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

The only leaks on my cars are from water ingress when it rains or I wash them. No oil leaks whatsoever on any of them; engine, transmission or rear axle.
    My 35 tub leaks above the windshield at the header panel, 15yrs now so I should get around to fixing it one day. Side curtains don't leak and do a good job.
    My 64 Ford leaks on both front and rear windshields due to no sealer being used and at the trunk rubber. I only found out that it leaked like a sieve after I'd washed it. Again an easy fix that I'll get around to one day.

1959Nomad likes this.
  9. j3harleys

j3harleys

Mine only leaks where the fluid's are.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  10. choptop40

choptop40

lots of funny ..yeah my suburban does the trans when it sits leak...stranger thing could happen...

1959Nomad likes this.
  11. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Good news, I fixed my leaky drain plug only to discover I also have a crack in the oil pan.

12. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Mine leaks money

1959Nomad likes this.
  13. Just radiator, engine, trans, rearend and windows

1959Nomad and lucky ink like this.
  14. S10_Man

S10_Man

I had a 64 Corvair with a 4 speed in it. I'd wind her up until the valves nearly floated then sidestep the clutch. That thing would launch like a bullfrog, but invariably it would beat the seal out between the clutch and rear differential, wetting the clutch to the point I would have to do a teardown and fix it. That, and the perpetual oil leaks onto the air fins making the heater real oily stinking. Young and dumb. Glad to see that little car gone.

15. After a little maintenance session I realized the valve covers were ready to fall off! Barely even finger tight! It is a Chevy so it will never be leak free but it should be a lot better now.:D

16. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

My heater core started leaking a couple of days ago...Damnit, and those harsh So Cal winters are comingo_O

bchctybob likes this.
  17. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

What is that stuff dripping under your car??? Excess horsepower!

1959Nomad and 56shoebox like this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had to read into the thread a bit to figure out if you were asking about leakes coming in or going out.
    The 48 went through so much oil on the way to Bonneville and then Pleasanton that when I made a gas stop I opened the hood and put in a quart of oil before starting to put the gas in and then checked to see how much more it wanted.
    When it rained you were going to get wet one way or another. Shaved rain gutters on AD Chevy trucks are a bad joke for those who actually drive them.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  19. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

The most puzzling thing that I have ever encountered in our early hot rod days was a mysterious oil usage in the first 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. A quart of oil was necessary almost every three-four days. Everyone started asking questions: Does it have white smoke? Drips between the oil pan gaskets? Drips on the concrete slab in the back yard? Etc… It was no to all.

The stock Flathead installed by the former owner in the place of the 348, said it did not leak for him, either. It ran quite well, started up instantly, did not make any noises other than a Flathead purring at idle.
    upload_2019-10-29_4-44-34.png
    But, as stock as it was, the horsepower was not enough to get us up long hilly roads on our So Cal road trips without downshifting. If the sedan delivery was loaded down with more than two people, we were as slow as a turtle in the right hand lane, with old ladies (nothing against them, actually) passing us up like lightning.

We just assumed it was just an under powered stock Flathead power and we lived with it. There was nothing against it as it started in all sorts of weather, after long drives up/down the coast and staying outside all day and night. (3rd car in a two car garage household)

The oil usage was so bad that my brother and I went over every inch of the motor and drive line to check for any loose or unusual things. After that, we took it over to our local mechanic that had the expertise in all things Flathead and V8 motors. He kept it for a week and commented on what a cool sedan delivery it was, but could not find anything without taking it apart.

We even drove it up to Los Angeles to see our dad’s friend who was the EXPERT in everything mechanical. He gave us a loaner car and kept it for a week. The result was the same. He took off the heads and nothing was wrong. He even commented that it was a very clean motor and all parts looked good. No leaks, anywhere.

So, now, after two expert mechanics looked over the mysterious oil usage, they were stumped. By this time, the can of oil every four days was getting a little too much. So, we found a neighborhood gas station that had 55 gallon drums full of “reclaimed oil.” (oil that had been filtered at an offsite processing plant) it was less expensive per gallon than a single can of regular Valvoline.

The gallon container was my constant companion sitting behind the driver’s seat everywhere I went. It was daily drives to high school, cruising around, road trips to the OC beaches and farther when it was possible. A full tank of gas and a full amount of engine oil started the trip. The gallon can of oil was for the trip home. And… the cycle started all over again.

Jnaki

One time, at a south OC surf spot parking area, some idiots broke into the sedan delivery and took our change of clothes, lunches, drinks, and extra towels. We were left with our surfboards, bathing suits, the beach towels we used and a gallon of reclaimed oil that was never touched. Luckily, it was hot and the drive home in our wet bathing suits was rather refreshing…

The oil usage was a mystery that continued on to the next owner in 1965. But we did have a clean concrete pad where the 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery sat on a daily basis between cruising and road trips. It was one of the most reliable starting hot rods I have ever owned. So, the Flathead mystery oil was a situation that was not able to be solved. My mom thought that was nice, since the concrete stayed clean.

20. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Yes. Flathead with original drivetrain. Need I say more.

21. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

My T-10 4spd. has a very slight leak from tail house seal.(seal is new)

22. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I have now replaced my oil pan, put in new oil and filter, reinstalled the center link, fired it up! Starts leaking from the front seal :mad:. The new pan has a deeper valley and I needed the thicker Fel-pro gasket. :rolleyes:

23. exterminator

exterminator

Are you kidding? LOL...…..

1959Nomad likes this.
  24. dartracer

dartracer

yes it leaks, it has a HEMI in it.

1959Nomad likes this.
  25. 352 in the Pick Up leaked about everywhere it could- was leaking a qt. of oil every 100 miles- fixed all them and now pinion seal leaking on rear end-

26. Yeah, the Pontiac motor in my coupe leaks a few drops from the rear main seal. Wife has me clean up the drive if I park there. My son won't let me park on his gigantic drive at his house...has me park on one of his wooden bridges. It's not enough oil to make the clutch slip.
    In high school I had a 55 Ford with a bad leak at the rear main seal...whenever I'd visit my Grandmother the damned thing would leak like hell in front of her house. She was kind enough to never say a word. You can see the oil slick in front of the car in the photo. 55ford.jpg

bchctybob and 1959Nomad like this.
  27. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Bitch, bitch, bitch! LEAKS ARE TRADITIONAL!!

bchctybob and 1959Nomad like this.
  28. Muttley

Muttley

Yes it leaks and I couldn't care less.

1959Nomad likes this.
  29. I'm sorry to say that I'm not as good at leak free hot rods as the OEM's seem to be.I campaign them and have learned to accept the ones I can't master.

1959Nomad likes this.
  30. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Of course! All of them.