Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Modified Murray - The Last Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by scootermcrad, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Looking at your list, if it was me and given your time constraints there are really a only a few things needed to do to get it moving and slap a licence plate on it. That would give you a huge boost and be a major milestone accomplished. Then save all the vanity items for a winter project.
    Just something to consider. I’ve been in your shoes with my model T. I’ve put some miles on it in it less then perfect state and now it will come apart for paint and final finishing this winter.

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep! That's pretty much the direction I'm taking. I'll worry about paint and body work in the spring and focus on getting the mechanical work done now. Starting with plumbing, Hemi stuff, and clutch stuff. Electrical will immediately follow, I think. Then I can fill in the blanks with all the little fab tasks as I can get time.

Big hurdle is simply setting up to work. The garage is full and to even get to my TIG I have to move the car pretty much all the way out of the garage, which seems simple, but the drive is slightly sloped and it makes it just challenging enough by myself to get it in and out. It used to be sooo much easier when I could just get my tools out and go. It's part of the reason just doing the smallest task is a challenging. I spend more time setting up than I would working, so I have to factor that into my time.

brEad, Stogy, Bondo Slinger and 2 others like this.
  3. Get a super cheap, electric winch ... with provision to bolt to your floor. 80 to 120 bucks, with a 2000 lb capacity. Takes 110 volt, and a regular extension cord. Mine has a remote cord. It's a Cleveland product, but any home improvement store or tool supply, would have it. Now'adays' they may even be cordless controlled.

Best tool I had, when I lived on a sloping driveway. Just hook it up, and pull. Sometimes, I'd even have to help it with a push. No biggie.

Stogy, loudbang and scootermcrad like this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah I have a friend that does that with a little harbor freight trailer winch.

I’d also suggest a small rolling cart. Then you can “put your tools away” by rolling it inside or were ever it goes but it takes 2 seconds to get your shit out to work

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I bought a 2,000 lb. winch on sale...but it's 12 V DC! Looked for an 'inverter', holy cow! $$$
    Guess I'll buy a dedicated 12 Volt battery for it now. (grrrr) I'd rather convert it to 120 V A/C, but that's out of my 'league'.

6. 12 volt is cheaper, anyway. Also a snatch block would double your pulling power.

Just looked up a 1000 lb 12 volt for 60 bucks, a mounted snatch block for $27, would give you a 2000 lb pull capacity. Also found a 1500 lb 120 volt, for $150. Snatch block, would pop that up to 3000 lbs.

No more thread hijack. Unless you need opinions on diapers. Hit me up, if so. :)

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

And that’s all if your basically dragging it. I push my 46 ford Tudor around if I need to and there’s no way I’m putting 3000 lbs of muscle into it lol

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Thanks, guys...

loudbang likes this.
  9. llonning

llonning

Good to see you at again Scott. I very seldom have a chance to get on The HAMB anymore. Just way too busy, just too many things going on.

scootermcrad and loudbang like this.
  10. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I was out shopping for Halloween candy at Target this weekend and this little Hot Wheels car immediately caught my eye and made me think of you.

20191027_175450.jpg

I HAD TO HAVE IT.

20191027_175455.jpg 20191027_175459.jpg

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was finally able to get out in the shop and at least clear a hole to work on this car. The Hemi will come out hopefully this week or coming weekend to wrap up some details including paint touch-ups, fix some of the head studs that are standing a bit too proud of the rocker stands, finish motor mounts, yank the transmission and mount the clutch get the measurements I need for the hydraulic t-out bearing. Still thinking of using the McLeod non-shim type bearing since it seems they have got the QC back under control and addressed the leaks.

All of these tasks will help set me up for everything that needs to happen over the winter. I'm remembering how challenging it is to work in this little shop, now. I got spoiled by the shop space I was in when we lived in Huntington. Hoping I can build a shop next year, but it will depend a lot on what happens with this build. I definitely find I'm more productive (and creative) when I have room to work and take steps back to stare at things.

E2767DCB-0E94-4184-A3A8-6A4BA95AF3CC.jpg

Couple other flavors of V8's watching-on in the background for other projects happening after this.

More soon...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    AHotRod, pwmcx95, brEad and 10 others like this.
  12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well... I may as well say goodbye to 2019 by wishing you all a Happy New Year! AND! I may as well show you I actually did some work with the tiny bit of time I had to do it.

Hemi is out! My buddy Josh (@Silvair ) came over and helped me wrestle this thing out and get it ready for all the little things I need to fix and wrap up.

IMG_0877.jpg

FF165B7B-1A00-4B9F-B575-D72F934664E9.jpg

I had forgotten how big this engine is! Crazy to see this elephant sitting next to the little 283 for the truck.

IMG_0887.jpg

I have a bunch of cleanup to do on this engine. Paint, corrosion, head studs, oil filter nut, and blah blah blah. Also time to get the clutch setup and order a hydraulic throw-out bearing.

Here's the corrosion.

IMG_0874.jpg
    IMG_1341.jpg

Head studs! They wouldn't sit deep enough, as it turns out. Glad I found out before putting some nice chrome valve covers on! Trimmed anywhere from 1/16" to 3/16" off of a handful of studs. Should be able to clear the VC's now. If not, a thicker VC gasket will have to be used.

IMG_1333.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg

And set! Drink beer. Enjoy!

59943382492__C84EF62A-0634-4B97-BE92-1EB864727F89.JPG
    IMG_1343.jpg

How about a chrome mock-up pic!?

52609B8C-A7A9-4888-936C-901B7DE052EE.jpg

Spending a little time on the lathe was nice too! Had to make that nut for the King fuel filter/regulator. The original was a crappy plastic knob (with an M7x1.0 thread) and got over-tightened. Was lucky it didn't start a fire when it last ran! Fuel bowl dropped under pressure and blew fuel all over the engine and firewall. Knob made. Just waiting on an M7 tap to get here so I can run it thru and install it.

917B4E0C-BBD2-450B-8236-0383B1C3AD56.jpg
    721C9DF0-F476-4EB1-AC24-AD4421AB60DD.jpg
    F5E68E3E-BB77-4CED-8730-4D8DD6BA0448.jpg

Next up I need another free and warm day to touch up the engine paint. Then get the clutch set up and measure for the hydraulic throw-out bearing. Everything is McLeod, so I think I'm going to order the McLeod bearing. I hear they fixed their issue with the seal, so I'll probably go for it.

Anyway! That's what I have for now! More in 2020! Hopefully EVERYTHING in 2020. I'm getting desperate to finish this car and move on. It's really becoming an emergency, which is not fun anymore. Taking everything in me to not get burned out.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    Lil'Alb, pwmcx95, brEad and 17 others like this.
  13. hasty

hasty

Great to see some progress - good luck in getting it together.
    One of the special builds on here - worth finishing!

14. Hansa1100

Hansa1100
    from Norway

I can only concur with this. I know I've been pestering you both here and on IG, but as hasty says, this car is special!

Dog_Patch, scootermcrad and loudbang like this.
  15. mgermca

mgermca

The hemi definitely has overhead cam V8 proportions compared to the compact SBC.
    Good to see you're back on it, if even only for a little tidbit of time.

16. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go Crad Go!Good to see progress.

scootermcrad and loudbang like this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

Covers look GOOD. :)

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happy new year! And thank you all for the nice words!

I always have a hard time accepting compliments because I’m super critical of everything on this build. It’s far from perfect and too far along to redo what isn’t perfect (in my eyes). But hearing the outside perspective always reminds me that maybe it just doesn’t need to be. It’s a hot rod built in a garage (many different ones, actually) with tools that don’t cost tens of thousands of dollars. Just an average Joe kinda build...

...but man! There is some amazing work out there and it always makes me want to do MORE. It’s fun to think about “the next one”, but so distracting at the same time.

Thanks again for the always nice words. It’s never under appreciated! The HAMB, in general, is never under appreciated. This place always motivates me to learn more, keep an open mind, but respect hot rod history and the people that wrote it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

brEad, slv63, Hansa1100 and 9 others like this.
  19. Definitely will be following along....Also, getting (your old) my mill out of storage and running again....

Stogy, loudbang and scootermcrad like this.
  20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's GREAT!! So glad you ended up with that mill. I still need to finish wiring mine up in its current location (no pun intended). Literally have the rotary phase converter and wiring all sitting there.

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  21. My new job has a warehouse in Corona so I can have it there....WooHoo.....

loudbang and scootermcrad like this.
  22. Must be old timers day here. Glad to see progress.

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I mean your posting aren’t ya? ;)

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Happy New Year, great to see you back on one of my favorite HAMB builds. Bob

25. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Man I bet that felt good ! Get er dunnn buddy!

26. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I'm still alive and this build just won't won't die, either. But, I have renewed energy to get this car done. Going to try again to make it to the Old North State Invitational at the end of September, even if it means it's going on a trailer as a partially finished car. The deck is definitely stacked against me, but I always said I would never put the car in the public's eye without it at least being in paint... SO! I'm jamming to get paint on this thing.

Unfortunately, all this Covid stuff has hit the industry I work in pretty hard, so most likely the car will be going up for sale when all of this is over. I've already let my '64 C10 go and have been cleaning out random stuff I don't have plans for. Feels pretty good to clear a few things out, but kind of surreal that times are the way they are.

Okay. Here's where we're at! This list is still long, but I started working again this past weekend and will keep on pushing the best that I can while raising two toddlers and doing everything I can for my family during these bizarre times.

First up, while waiting for some supplies, I've been working on drip rails. The scratch-made drip rails always kind of bothered me. The frontal profile just never looked right to me and I had a few whoopsie's that needed to be cleaned up. So I spent like 5 hours reshaping and filing them. It was worth it! I like the new direction much better and it flows with the roof shape much better.

F46F7C5C-69BB-4F84-90D4-79840FAF0819.jpg 22D80C3A-E1F9-479F-96D7-7309BC03898D.jpg IMG_3245.jpg IMG_3249.jpg IMG_3250.jpg

Seats are out for upholstery. I should have them back in perfect time to put back in the car immediately following paint and then I can start on everything else. And, I just really have a lot more to do and REDO (since it's been sitting) to be ready for high build, final prep, and color. But I'm SUPER close now!! The weather is super hot and humid, but I'm gonna make it work.

This car looks so weird without the push bar and everything else removed. Or maybe it just looks strange all the time, actually.

E3ADD1DB-064F-4A36-8D50-F6152A92BFA8.jpg 3BECDD9C-1300-4A03-9328-64F693BB82ED.jpg BF1ABB85-8221-41F5-B53F-E88044D92335.jpg
    Guess I'll be stripping the cowl top and redoing that, but that's what happens when things get neglected in a humid climate.

IMG_3251.jpg
    IMG_3253.jpg

Stay tuned! More to come! Gonna be a tough couple of months to balance everything with family stuff, work stuff, weather, etc. I'll keep you guys posted on this mess. There is an overwhelming amount of stuff that will really probably take the rest of the year to get done, but going to get out in the garage every second I can. Extremely challenging to balance everything life has thrown at our family. Seems like there's always something, though...

27. Good to see you back at it Scott. At the rate the last couple of days have gone on mine you might still get yours done first.

28. You can do it!

tomschev2, scootermcrad and Thor1 like this.
  29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great to see you back, that has always been one of my favorite HAMB builds. Just noticed your door tops, have to go back and study some old photos. Bob :)

30. 73RR

73RR

Good to see some new posts!!