Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1936 Chevy Tudor humpback

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jody Michielsen, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Jody Michielsen

Jody Michielsen

I'm a truck driver and today while at a customers farm I found this "barn" find. Its a 36 Chevy Tudor humpback. Not sure how long it has not ran. But was parked here in 81 with oil put into the cylinders he said. The ground is ground up asphalt.. With dirt from ages on top. She is certainly rough. But what is to be expected? Its sitting on the frame in sections so I'm afraid of rot there. Floor boards are hard to see. But looks like rot. Wood frame inside is rotted. Interior is of course shot. All glass white. I asked him about selling it. It was his first car so he is hesitant. But at his age and income he realizes he will probably never restore it. I of course have a dream... A vision.... So I am wondering what should I expect to try to offer him?

Attached Files:

catdad49 likes this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I think you need to let him lead to get a base line. He probably knows what all it needs. Go from there.

1930BeachRat likes this.
  3. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Last year for all the wood and it is expensive to replace. If anything it is a good parts car

4. rusty valley

rusty valley

36 gm cars still have a lot of wood. 37 & up mostly steel

5. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Hi Jody - my names Jody ... so I got that going for me? My 37 Chevy sedan has hardly any wood in its body construction but the 36 and down have quite a bit of wood giving the body it’s structural strength. Some people replace the wood with steel some replace it with wood. Either way it can be quite a bit of extra work I have been told. That’s probably why you don’t see as many 36 and down chevys as much as 37 and up chevys. But that is a really solid looking 36 and I hope you try and save it.

nunattax and Jody Michielsen like this.
  6. raymay

raymay

At the right price something certainly can be done with this car and being that everything seems to be there is a big plus. Like everyone mentioned while the 36 had the solid top, they still used wood in the doors and pillar sections. Many years ago I replaced the wood with steel on the back door of a Sedan Delivery and easily had 40 hours into just that part of the build before I was satisfied. Decide what you are willing to invest and what skills you have to get this build on the road. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Jody Michielsen likes this.
  7. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

The truth is you would be in the hole if he gave it to you. I guess that's true of most project cars. The best deals are well kept cars or older restorations. They cost a lot more but not really that much considering.

5 grand seems to be the break. Once you past 5K, you get into really nice runners. Below 5K there's lots of junk. Above 5K you get into cars that the home hobbiest could tackle.

That car......
    $500-$2500
    It depended on how much I wanted it. Do you have the stuff, the place, the time and the skill?

VANDENPLAS and uncleandy 65 like this.
  8. evintho

evintho

What part of the country are you in? Prices vary widely across the nation. It's a complete car with everything there but will require a full restoration. In California $2500 would probably get the ball rolling. I'd offer a grand but, then again, I'm cheap!

indianbullet and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

Can you create furniture from scratch? Cause if you can't you should probably walk away from that one. The inner wood on that is very complex and intricate, and any "kit" that might be made by a vendor costs more than that car is worth.

As said above, it's only worth what the parts are worth.

Tri-power37 and uncleandy 65 like this.
  10. Jody Michielsen

Jody Michielsen

I know how to do basic body work. See interiors. Some engine building knowledge. Can fabricate and weld and done lots of wood working. So I have enough skill. The area to do it. Not the best. The money.. Well this would be lets say a long term project... Mostly hands on and less buying... Desire I have plenty of and a vision... I could get it for five hundred I would. For two grand I would let it sit there and rot.

11. Jody Michielsen

Jody Michielsen

12. Jody Michielsen

Jody Michielsen

I used to make high end cabinets in one job and in another I used to make high end desks and chairs.mr trump is sitting at one of those desks and chairs that company makes and eat coat choppers sites at one of those conference tables.

13. Stooge

Stooge

i really like that! Trunkback cars can be a little hit or miss with me, but with the 2door, maybe being a little shorter or something, just looks cool! Did you get to poke around inside the car at all to maybe get an idea of the condition of the interior wood? You having been a high end cabinet/ wood worker seems like it would certainly help with those cars, and from what we can see, the upper part of the body looks solid and dry. Has the makings of a cool project, but is going to be a lot of work to commit to. Im guessing he's trying to get you to throw out a price first?

nunattax likes this.
  14. sounds like a no-win situation. he might expect you to pay for his memories, and be disappointed with your offer. 1st cars and original owners are always a challenge.

15. Jody Michielsen

Jody Michielsen

Other then the wood that I could see around the door and the fact that the does were sagging.. Told me that wood is bad. The interior wood did not look horrible. Did not want the door to fall off so did not get to tell how good or bad... As well as with the floor boards.... Plus its the door could move and the good opened easily. So that gives me hope. Really unsure about the frame... I had hinted at the face that I passed up a different car a few years ago for five hundred because of the rot... But he said he had to decide if he would be able to let it go. I see him again next week. So I will throw the offer out there that I will keep him updated on the build with photos etc.. Once done take him for a cruise and but him dinner...va well as telling him once done that he could take it once in a while for a ride.. Maybe that will help with the sentimental side of things.. Let him see it getting fixed up and hopefully drive it again one day

Stooge, nunattax and VANDENPLAS like this.
  16. chopped

chopped

I've had two of them. I'd pay $2000.00, not a penny more. That's only cause I like them.

17. Very nice car
    Almost bought one years ago for $1300 and I backed out as my skill set was not there to tackle the wood etc.
    Up here a clean painted shiny version of that car ( not a concourse show car)
    But a real nice cruise in car, would sell for 15-20 k all day long, albeit you’ll wait for the right buyer but it’s a sharp car when done.

500-1000 ya can’t loose
    Always be able to sell it for that if not more

18. alchemy

alchemy

If you love curved woodwork, it might be just the car for you! There is not a straight stick in the whole car. Curves everywhere. But you will sure get some experience. I like 36 Chevys, but I'd never have the skills and patience to build one with bad wood.

19. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

I hope you take this project on.if you have the woodworking skills.it will be done 1 bit at a time.imagine the smell of all that new wood with new carpets and leather.when you finish will be worth the effort.subscribed

20. ...late 36's had very little wood, your's probly has a lot., but the sheet metal look pretty good to me...nice lookin body style ,...hope you can snag it for a decent price and save the car.

nunattax and Jody Michielsen like this.
  21. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  22. catdad49

catdad49

The car looks fairly well cared for and yes, I know about the wood (and lots of it). My concern would be the integrity of the frame. Same as a house, without a good foundation the rest doesn't matter. Good Luck, Carp.

nunattax likes this.
  23. 36 I had was loaded with wood. The complete frame work inside. The sub frame was also wood. All the wood skeleton then the sheet metal nailed on. On a 35 Buick 3 window I bought I had more money in the red oak than in chassis parts. I bailed on it.

24. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'd bail on this 36. Too much wood and not worth that much even if replaced. I'd rather start with a 37 or later Chevy they don't have all that wood.

25. indianbullet

indianbullet
    from Ca

Sounds like your capable of tackling much of the challenge that it presents. If you can get it for a grand or under, I don't see how you can get hurt. Long term project for sure.
    Like all of them.

nunattax likes this.