Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Good deal or not?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 9, 2019.

1. A friend of my daughter ask me if I wanted to buy the tires he had bought for his pickup, it seems he bought new set of B.F. Goodrich tires (225/70R15) in May and blew up the engine last week and can't afford to fix the truck right now.

He told me the tires don't have more that 3000 miles on them if that much and he showed me the receipt where he paid 610.56 for them, at 250.00 I believe it's a good deal but he took them off the wheels and didn't mark them as to which side of the truck they were on so I don't have a clue as to which direction they were run.

I remember that it was suggested in the past a certain way to rotate a tire to prevent a problem. since I usually use staggered sizes I have never worried about that.

I am open to suggestions. HRP

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. goldmountain

goldmountain

Some tires have arrows on them which tell you which way they rotate.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

If it is a directional tread tire, there will be markings on the sidewall, either arrows or "Outside".
    If not directional tread, I don't know why it would matter. Did I miss something?

4. squirrel

squirrel

decades ago, radials were thought to come apart if you ran them one direction, then changed direction, such as by installing them on the other side of the car. That is ancient history...you can rotate radial tires now, any way you want.

although there are many tires that have direction tread patterns, and should be installed so the arrow goes the way the tire will rotate in normal forward driving.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Every tire rotation pattern has a cross in it. They need to go on the opposite side at some point. Don't worry about it.

tire-rotation-diagram-2.jpg

5window, bobss396, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  6. Thanks Jim, I guess I was thinking about the decades old adage about them separating if run in different directions, I have seen them yet to check to see a arrow or if the tires are directional, I do know he ran them with the white letters out so with me I would go black wall out to solves some of my worry. HRP

Boryca and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Go ahead & mount them … it doesn't matter.

WB69, HOTRODPRIMER and slack like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

If they have raised white letters, they won't have directional tread.

9. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Check the seating area to make sure they werent chewed up during removal. Years ago I had some tires switched to different rims and the monkey doing it tore up and actually bent some of the beads.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. BF T/As aren't directional, just mount them whichever way you want.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. 62rebel

62rebel

I've even taken the death challenge of running bias and radial tires on the same vehicle.... not for an extended period but long enough to get to the tire shop... didn't notice any symptoms of dire consequences

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. error404

error404
    from CA

if everything on the vehicle is aligned right and the tire pressures are close to what is needed, you shouldn't have a problem accidentally rotating them out in a different pattern. Or in your case, putting them on a different vehicle all together at a random rotation. The problem is that alot of people NEVER rotate their tires at all.

Most of my vehicles are 4wd vehicles, and I keep a full-sized spare tire for each of them, which I rotate in so that all the tires get worn evenly. I've missed rotations here and there, and rotated "incorrectly" several times, and I've never noticed any odd behavior with the tread.

I think you'll be just fine. If the price is right to you, go for it. :) 3000 miles isn't much for a street tire. Even if his alignment was sub-par, they should still be great tires.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. jim snow

jim snow

I say yes they are a good deal. Grabem. Snowman

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. X-cpe

X-cpe

Not a death challenge until you get crossed up.

62rebel and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Only a good deal if you have a use/need for them.
    SPark

HOTRODPRIMER and deathrowdave like this.
  16. CA. 280

CA. 280

Check the manufactured date on the tires, they can be "recently installed" but sat on a shelf at a distributors for years.
    Most tire manufacturers say maximum of 8 years of age no matter how low the mileage. Tire shops here won't even
    fix a flat if tire is that old no matter the tread depth.

HOTRODPRIMER and upspirate like this.
  17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you run them backward and hear Beelzebub talkin to ya, drive the car in reverse to the nearest tire shop and reverse them.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. 5window

5window

Paul is dead

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. I just don't take the chance with tires.....they might be the cheapest insurance you buy.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. derbydad276

derbydad276

you dont want them.. send them to me

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Less than 1/2 price with only 3000 miles on them and you haven't already got them? That's a steal if they are a size you can use. 3000 miles is nothing on a good tire like a BFG, they will last probably 50,000 if they don't dry rot before you wear them out!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. What CA. 280 sez; check the date.

HOTRODPRIMER and upspirate like this.
  23. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

The price sounds right, I paid $550 for my 235-75-R-15 last year ... 70k mile tire.
    I was angry with the dealer, double dipped me for the price of the tire and then again for mount & balance.

I agree with the others, it makes no difference what position the tires were in ... they are now used and do not care where they go back into play.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. 5window

5window

I don't recall ever buying tires from a dealer that did not include charges for mounting/balancing/tire disposal/new valve stems and weird federal taxes.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. Check the manufacturing dates. If within the past three years buy them. You and I are old school, but rotation doesn't mean anything anymore unless it's a directional tire. Those will be marked with an arrow. Some might have an asymmetrical tread and will be marked "this side out". BFG Long Trail T/A might be an example.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. I told him I'll take them, he said the date code indicated 2018. HRP

5window and TrailerTrashToo like this.