Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ammeter bypass kit ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by DAGGER1120, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Well , Steve we are waiting!!! But do keep it simple..... as this is going to be hard for me to understand! I’m kinda simple, ya know! Lol

Bones

loudbang likes this.
  2. Well dammit, I posted this 'tech' tutorial as a new thread and put up three posts as placeholders so I wouldn't start getting questions before I had the whole thing posted. Went back to the first post and 'edited' it to put up the info, went to save it and somebody deleted the thread! Lost everything I had typed!!! And I'm not fast at that either...

Boneyard51 likes this.
  3. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was wondering what the hell happened to it! This kinda stuff confuses the ever lovin shit outta me!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

you didn't type it up as a file that you saved on your computer first, eh? damn!

5. Jim, that's above my computer skill level... LOL...

Boneyard51 likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

retyping something because of a forum problem is above my patience level....if it's more than I can type in a minute, I open "notepad" and type it there, save it on my computer, then copy and paste it into the forum.

Boneyard51 and pprather like this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep
    yep

8. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Just speculation here because I'm an electrically challenged individual...... Even if someone has an inductive ammeter, isn't the wire that the factory ran to the ammeter only sized to deal with the current range the ammeter is supposed to handle?
    If that assumption is true, if the meter is removed from the circuit, the wire would still be overloaded. The ammeter appears to inadvertantly be the "sacrifical lamp".....pun intended!
    Anyway, my simple understanding is that old cars had fewer things needing current and the amp meter could handle all that current draw. Newer hot rods have more current from higher power alternators and it exceeds the capability of the guage.
    The simple answer is to run a voltmeter and not have the problem.

Boneyard51 and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  9. sunbeam

sunbeam

Did I miss it or do we know if the 30 amp generator has been replaced with a much higher amp alternator? If you have a 10 gauge wire and a 80 amp alternator you are asking for a meltdown.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Nope. Could be a mismatched regulator, or somebody got in there and tweaked it, who knows.

11. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Use the style that Pontiac used, it worked like an amp probe...

12. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

An Ammeter is basically a voltmeter that measures the voltage drop across a very low resistance shunt that all the current passes through. If you could find an ammeter with separate shunt, the shunt could be placed anywhere and the wires routed to the gauge.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

Chevy used that shunt style ammeter on their tricks in the 1960s.

Sent from my Trimline

14. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't you just add a maxi fuse and forget about it?
    fuse.JPG

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Two pages of hashing ammeter vs volt meter when burned wires are due to bad wires and or an overload on the circuit. My 51 Merc I had in high school was full of bad wires when it was 12 years old My 48 chev was full of bad wires in 1973 when it was 25 years old a 50 something Ford Pickup is very possibly going to have some bad wires. Old wires that are bad have to be replaced. Old mods that are suspect have to be corrected.

My guess is that somewhere along the wire (s) that burned out is a bare spot that has been making contact with bare metal, the normal cause of wiring fires in old vehicles.

Ammeter bypass is simple, you take the wire off one side and put it with the wire on the other side and put the nut back on. No kit needed.

16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Stewart Warner makes them! Used them many times on my Fire trucks, that came with 160-200 amp alternators. And they are adjustable!

Bones

Rramjet1 likes this.