Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Garage lifts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatford39, Oct 10, 2019.

1. flatford39

flatford39

Life has been good to me lately and it looks like I might have the funds to invest into a 2 post or 4 post lift for my garage.

My problem is that I only have 8'-0 ceilings in my shop. Just getting the vehicle up 4 feet would be handy and two of my cars are roadsters so they can get up a little higher with the top down.

What have you guys with low ceiling like I have done??

Thanks for any feedback. It's appreciated.

2. Scissor lift or low rise 2 post.
    Scissor and 4 posts are great for body work. 2 posts are great for mechanical work.

3. I have one like this.
    EFED093F-9ECD-4543-AA49-EB226754F9BC.jpeg
    These work with a low ceiling. Gonna have to watch the roof
    8AF86F48-477D-4FFD-82CE-78FFD57ED0D7.jpeg 9F0B486B-B34D-4E2D-93E7-BE74D06BAFD1.jpeg

flatford39 likes this.
  4. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I too have a low ceiling but due to my project car being a lowboy I have just enough clearance for one or the other of my cars on top of my 4 post Direct lift. If you go with one keep in mind you have to have at least another two inches more travel up to release the locks so you can lower it and they lock at certain amount of inch intervals. I also had to extend my garage door to the very top of the ceiling and relocate the door opener to one side.You will not regret getting one even if you don't get a lot of height out of it.

Attached Files:

Bondo Slinger likes this.

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I have a QuickJack system. Lift the car about 24 inches. Portable. $1500

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Bugguts likes this.
  6. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Shop for one that offers wheels so you can work outside when you need the height.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did exactly as ramblin dan, including the close to ceiling garage door and side opener. Working under the car was usually on a rolling stool, sometimes on a creeper. It let me store two roadsters in the winter (needed the top down on both, so it was tight).

The jack tray let’s you use a bottle jack for wheel and brake work, and my buddy has the sliding, locking jack that lets you lift the frame when parked on the lift. Among our group we’ve got 5 of them, with no problems over 10+ years. The other guys have 12 ft shops which is better.

I don’t sell these, I’m just a user.
    http://www.directlift.com/Four-Post-Lift-Pro-Park-8S-Standard-P44C9.aspx

8. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

This one comes with wheels. Mine came with wheels though I’ve not used them.

9. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Before I built a new shop ,I used a mid rise lift,found a used one for 600,, not as good as a two post full height but a lot better than nothing

10. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Friend of mine had the same problem. He cut out a 6' or so section of the joists and boxed them in. He had enough room to raise the lift with the car on it so he could walk under it. That was 25 years ago and the roof is still in place with no harm done and that was in NYS with big snow loads.

lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  11. My scissor will lift around 50’’
    Rolls out of the way easily and portable.
    I have carried it to at least 3 shops

12. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

What model and brand scissors lift do you have?

13. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a maxjax 48" lift. Once it's installed it can be removed with only 10 bolts to the floor.

Phil IMG_0803.JPG

14. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

As mentioned above, cut a rafter or two out and box it and a little additional bracing. Get a 2 post lift you can stand under. It will give you way more usefulness,......

55styleliner likes this.
  15. 556EC5FA-318A-44B5-B572-E30153E37B54.jpeg
    (Generic online pic)
    It’s made by wheeltronic.
    Bought it used from snapon
    It’s perfect for body work.
    I can load it with an engine hoist

Chavezk21, gnichols and Dick Stevens like this.
  16. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Is your system on wheels?

17. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The power pack is on wheels and is connected to the 2 posts with quick disconnects. After you un bolt the posts from the floor there are small wheels on the bottom so you can move them like a dolly. If you wanted to use it in more than one location you can buy anchors separately and put them in the floor in a second spot.

Phil

Flathead Dave likes this.
  18. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Just watched a MAXJAX video. Cool lift.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a buddy who did the make space between the rafters thing on his shop when he put the lift in and was working on raised roof vans for a company daily. That should work if you have enough room up between the bottom of the rafters and the roof and you will have to put in 2x8 or 210s to support the area you cut the rafters out of. Box the other rafters with plywood as the guys said.

20. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I moved my house 'in 89. 2k sq ft for a $1000. I found a old lady that had 1 block. I bought 2 lots and started my 5 yr rehab. The slope of the land created 17 ft ceilings. Bought a 2 post lift from a friend who was down sizing his business.

21. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I believe that most lifts, 2 post or 4 post that bolt into the floor, required 6 inches of concrete.

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  22. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

I have same problem, the workshop I am about to put up is 11 foot to the ridge inside
    I have to either raise the roof or in stall a shallow pit 2 foot deep so I can stand under and work on cars/mini van Been looking at a 5 foot lift portable 2 post lift where the securing plates are bolted to the floor so you can store away the posts when not in use so free up floor space , I was given this workshop on the condition I had a week to dismantle and transport away DSC_0537.JPG DSC_0538 (1).JPG

23. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When you reassemble this building you should be able to put it on knee walls as high as you need.

Phil

H380, Frankie47, tb33anda3rd and 4 others like this.
  24. partssaloon

partssaloon

I have a door out the back and did this.
    MVC-005S.jpeg

jim snow, Frankie47 and Fiftee3 like this.
  25. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

Thanks, did think along those lines , the steel frame is roof support only so also thought of extending those or sitting them on 2 foot concrete block pads and adding extra steel to the end A frames

26. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

I recently installed a MaxJax M6 & I’m pretty happy with it. My ceiling is ~8’-9”. Lifts stuff high enough to scoot around underneath on a roller stool.

IIRC the installation instructions wanted 5” of concrete.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

just chop/section all of your rides

28. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My son has a long term resto mod of an OT car in the way right now, but if he gets through with it before I die, I want to try a Max Jax myself. A friend has put one is his shop and , and I've been over and looked at it.Got to first drill a few test holes to determine concrete thickness before I buy one though, as I bought this old building and it was built in the late 40s.
    There's several threads on this subject over on Garage Journal, btw.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Good to know stuff. Great thread.

flatford39 likes this.
  30. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

If you just want to raise things a few feet, shop around for some of those used air bumper jacks that used to be popular. Put one at each end of the car and raise it to the desired height. That way they are not in the way while working on the car. Then stow them by the wall when done. I have a frame for a 56 Chevy truck that I'm working on and thats how I do it. In another bay I have a two post lift. It makes doing things underneath a vehicle much much easier. I know some of the guys here have said they have the lifts that raise things a few feet, but for the cost, I would want a full on lift. These jacks show up on CL for $150/$300 if you watch for them. PICT1553.jpg

stanlow69, Budget36 and flatford39 like this.