Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Generator or Alternator? Ammeter or Voltmeter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Steve, Oct 10, 2019.

1. BJR

BJR

2. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah Ha! I see what you're doing there, and I like it, as I have been following the other thread that this coincides with also! Could you please elaborate for some of us mental midgets (i.e. ME) ? This subject is as clear as mud to me. Please help!

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I'll have a 6 volt 45 amp gen charging thru a 50 amp ammeter, please … and make that to go.

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I just knew we were going to get a lesson on the finer points of the headline. :( Hope Steve is okay.

5. Alright, the Mod opened this back up, but unfortunately I had the first installment done and ready to post when I found the thread closed. Two hours of typing down the drain because I didn't get it saved....

As a bit of a preview, this will mostly be about which type gauge to use on which system and why. But I have to re-start my enthusiasm….

6. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take your time, we're all ear's

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

8. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

IMG_0319.JPG I have a 45 amp 12V generator on my Roadster with an ammeter.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  9. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Subscribed, in anticipation ...

mgtstumpy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Weeeeeeell... We're waiting...

11. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

watts a matta u!?

12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Alternators and Ammeters here, but am considering a generator on the Model A I've got in the queue.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My little boat tail roadster that is being built far more for looks (as in looks like an old race car) gets a generator and an ammeter just because that adds authenticity. Car will never get driven more than 125 miles from the house and will ride the stretcher if it wants to go further. It may ride a somewhat authentic vintage race car trailer behind the 48 at times.
    On the other hand the 48 and the Model A (if I don't sell it) get alternators and volt meters. The alternator on the 48 is going to be so far down in the hole you can't see it anyhow unless you get in a compromising position with the fender.

The only issue I have with generators is availability if one fails on a road trip. Common sense should say that you don't run accessories or even lights that have more draw than the generator can provide. The "my generator can't keep up" thing simply means you have too frigging much crap drawing power on your ride for the generator to keep up with.

Truthfully If I planned extended road trips in my ride with a generator because It has to be generator or else, I'd have a one wire alternator, brackets to mount it and the correct size belt safely tucked away in a box in the trunk with plans to never use them but knowing that I was not going to be stuck in Bum-F--- New Mexico waiting for the brown truck to show up with a red label box with a generator in it to get me back on the road to Roundup. It's like having a good first aid kit, you hope the hell you never need it but you are damned glad you have it when you do.

14. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So are turn signals alternators?

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

16. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

This thread got me thinking. I've driven cars and trucks with generators as my daily for years in all weather day and night. Driving to work in the dark when I worked long hours and home in the dark as well. None of my generators failed but on newer OT vehicles I've had a number of alternator failures. Maybe just my luck but I wouldn't hesitate to drive anywhere with a generator equipped car. If worried about a failure far from home might be a good idea to throw a spare in the car with you.