Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Floyd "Duke" Sutterfield - Sold me his 37 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ebbsspeed, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mods, if this is considered too far out of bounds for a HAMB topic, please delete it.

I was doing my occasional deletion of old email's when I ran across this link. It is an interview of the fellow that I bought my 37 Buick from. In the 1980's I worked with his daughter Ann, and she told me about the three old Buicks that Duke had, a '37, '38' and '40. He intended to give one to each of his kids at some time. Fast forward a couple decades, and out of the blue I get a call from Ann. "None of us want the old Buicks, so dad is going to sell them." Less than a day later I was on the road to southeast Missouri to have a look at them, and decided to buy the '37.

Duke was in WWII, and this is a 20 minute video of him talking about some of his war medals, etc. He passed away less than a year after doing this interview. The fellows that fought some of these WWII battles had balls like watermelons, and we owe them more than we can ever know.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  2. Weird. Won't let me see it. Had to "request access" ... and, so I did. Thanks, @Ebbsspeed

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Me too

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats on new ride - post some pics - could not access video but, you are correct about WWII Veterans

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh crap. I suppose it's because it is on Google Drive, and would have to be made public in order for people to see it. I'll see if I can get Ann to open it up to the public.

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

War is hell...moving, disturbing, similar scenarios played out over and over, a reality and behind us now...I thank them and remember them...the allies efforts to date have stemmed comparable conflict...it ain't rosey by any means but I am 59 now and lived in peace my whole life...so how can you not thank them for being the wall that stopped a huge engine of worldwide dictatorial rule...may he rest in Peace...Duke...Thank You...

@Ebbspeed do you still have the Buick and if so did you Hop it up at all?

Again this Big War Shit put a big wedge in the Hotrod scene for some time and in fact ended it for many...pretty much makes it hard not to shed a tear...

Thanks for sharing this...

8. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Stogy I still do, but have never done anything to it except drive it. Lots of projects in the queue, and the Buick is one of them. I do have a later model slightly warmed Straight Eight built for it (1950 263ci) that I will put in it, in front of a T5 trans. Until last year it had been in the barn untouched for about 6 years. We cranked it up and entered it in a Halloween car show and won first place. We left all the barn dust on it, made up a scary story about it starting all by itself occasionally, the horn honking late on stormy nights for no apparent reason, etc. Skeleton behind the wheel, spider webs, etc. Then we drove it back into the barn and shut it off. The photo is of the car at the Halloween show, with my wife drumming up votes. Buick Halloween.jpg
    Buick Halloween 1.jpg

9. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

HAPPY HALLOWEEN.jpg cool, here is my 37, did the Halloween thing with it as well

183.JPG