Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Problem solving a Ford AOD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tuck, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

so... used 87 ford aod, 70,000m on it. It worked perfectly when I pulled it (drove it around)... put it in my 59 ranchero and now it wants to go forward in all shift positions???

351w mated to it with the correct flex plate. Lokar Tv cable kick down installed and setup-

I pulled the pan and put a new filter kit in it- torqued it down to spec that’s about all I did- that and new fluid...

I’m thinking doom and gloom the lower basket has started to weld itself together... not sure how though... maybe warped clutch?

I pulled it out and drove it around the block in drive, shifts though all 4 gears nice- trans fluid doesn’t smell burnt... it’s just f’n weird.

This swap has been cursed... organ rejection or something...

Just wondering if I’m overlooking something??? Anyone experience anything like this?

Mentally preparing To pull and replace/rebuild.

Anyone here rebuild one? Books to buy? Recommend kits?

Tuck

1DAB97E5-2171-4C2B-A0CC-E1D897644257.jpeg DF20DE2F-4D77-4E85-82CC-FE37AB567F9D.jpeg

2. southcross2631

southcross2631

Did you mess with the manual linkage arm ? Did you put a pressure gauge on it and check it in reverse?
    I always put a B&M shift kit in my AOD swaps. A 2200 stall convertor works well also.

3. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

Sounds like the shift rod isn't connected correctly to the valve body. Did you mess with any of that when you changed the filter?
    aod-manual.jpg

4. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Rooster Comb not connected to the piston in the valve body gets my vote also . I don’t know if I heard of an auto trans loosing reverse and not loosing forward .

osage orange, kidcampbell71 and Tuck like this.

5. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

@onetrickpony I didn’t mess with any of that but your right that would make sense- I’ll pull the crossmember and pan and check that next-!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Maybe happened when I flipped the shift lever? Maybe missed engaging the groove and the spool valve could be all the way into the valve body... hoping grandma can watch the girls today so I can take another bath in transmission fluid

Crossing fingers this is it-

7. southcross2631

southcross2631

Good time to add a drain plug.

8. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

What distributor is in that engine? Looks cool.

osage orange and Tuck like this.
  9. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Thanks man, It’s a Grant Flamethrower/ Spalding distributer. It was originally for a 302 but it’s sleeved and added the roller shaft/gear with the 5/16” pump drive.

I added a drain plug when I changed the filter.

So there was black plastic looking crap in the pan, the rooster comb/lever was connected to the valve body in the right spot.

I’m going to pull it and rebuild it.

Bought a seal protector kit and all the special tools I need.

Making my own clutch spring compressor and a couple other specialized tools.

I’ll report back and tell you what I found, pulling the trans Saturday and should have it torn down.

Im getting a B&M torque converter and a shift improver for it this time around.

I’m going to rebuild the C4 that came out of it too- plan to mod that a little too.

kidcampbell71 and cactus1 like this.
  10. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Got an AOD I’ve been working on. Only had one forward gear. Supposedly they are bad about valves sticking in the valve body so I pulled it down and apart and did find one valve stuck but lots of crap in pan. Now I have two forward gears (shifts once). It needs rebuilding but will have to wait.

Tuck likes this.
  11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

osage orange likes this.
  12. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

If an AOD sits for a while the governor will tend to stick . Another tip if your rear end ratio is numerically higher than 3.50 the AOD will upshift too fast and you will want this: