Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ever have one of those days when the stars just don't align?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 10, 2019.

1. I left work to go home and get my old beater wanting to drive it to tonight's club meeting, I parked my daily, opened the garage door and climbed in, turned the started and If crickets were singing I would have heard them -NOTHING.

I drove the car last Saturday and I haven't had any problems with it cranking, 14 volts and suppose the battery battery is dead, the last thing I remember doing last Saturday night was trying to put the bulb for the under dash light bulb back in after Brenda knocked it loose with her oversized purse.

Not sure if I left the ignition switch on or ( I'm throwing this at the wall to see if it sticks) if the under dash switch being left in the on position could be responsible.

I didn't have time to dive into it as I had to get back to the shop. HRP

nochop and williebill like this.
  2. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

WTF? You are implying that days actually exist when the stars *do* align, much less that they occur to & for you?
    Increadable concept... ;( . Like it to happen someday... Novel concept.
    Marcus...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  3. williebill

williebill

To answer the original question.... all day, every day.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. I am prone to the same kind of shit luck.
    Mostly when I'm in a hurry.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say we all have those days. Last time it was a reading light in the OT daily that got left on somehow and drained the battery. I put the charger on it, charged it and luckily it was dark when I went to drive it or it would probably have done it all over again.

Years ago I was working at a dealership during the summer break from teaching and I ended up getting all the crap jobs but that was why I was there. They had a Lincoln out on the used car line that the battery went dead on every day and I got the task of finding out why. Battery tested good and it charged good but for some reason I decide to look under the dash to see it there was a cause for the drain and when I laid down on the seat the really bright light from a map light hit me straight in the eye. Turned the map light off, did a test for any other drains and stuck it back out on the lot and clocked my hour's time on it.

j-jock, alanp561 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I am sure that this whole event is Brenda's fault. I would go right in and let her know. Oh yea, puff out that chicken chest (that we all have) while you are at it.

j-jock, HOTRODPRIMER and raven like this.
  7. LAROKE

LAROKE

If three things happen early in the day, minor or not, I try to hunker down and wait it out.

62rebel, HOTRODPRIMER and williebill like this.
  8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Ever since we had the headlight use during the day thread, I promised to use them.
    Now every time I drive off and park it somewhere I find someone left my switch on.
    Lucky for me every time I pull it into the garage, I turn the battery switch to off.
    Danny, you’re a bad boy.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Yup,seems every few years there is a day that fails in so many ways,you stop counting an go hide if you can.

wicarnut, HOTRODPRIMER and williebill like this.
  10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

She's pissed at you.
    Reminiscent of Christine.
    More like My Mother the Car.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER and williebill like this.
  11. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

He's on his way to 100 K,LOL

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

It's a dog eat dog world and I am wearing milkbone underwear.

j-jock, HOTRODPRIMER, BamaMav and 2 others like this.
  13. There is no way in this world I would blame it on the boss lady, I may look dumb but I ain't stupid! HRP

Dick Stevens, Thor1, wicarnut and 7 others like this.
  14. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Married advice.... if you want to make a day that nothing is going right on much worse - try taking out on your wife .

j-jock, X-cpe and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Oh yeah I've heard that stars can aline.o_O

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. Damn......hope Brenda doesn't see you posting about her purse......you'll be seeing plenty of stars then !

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had me one of them days a few weeks ago. Everything I touched turned to shit, all day long. BUT, this is contrary to that topic.
    Last Monday, my friend Alan called me and asked if I knew where he could find a tailgate for a 67 Mercury truck. He had just hung up from a friend in Montana that has the truck, but no tailgate. Alan figured I would be able to fix him up, as he knows I am working on some Unibody Merc tailgates, but I told him the 67 has bigger letters, and wouldn't be what his friend needed.
    I hung up, and while I still had my phone in my hand, I decide to return Tal's call that I had kept forgetting to do for several days now. Tal asks if I knew he had bought a Mustang? I said no, and he says yeah, it had a rebuilt Cleveland in it, and lasted 60 miles. Wasn't broke in properly, and he needs a Cleveland for it.
    He says he knows a guy with a 67 Mercury truck, with a Cleveland and top loader in it for sale. He wants the engine, but figures the only other thing that might be worth something would be the tailgate, and did I have any idea what it would be worth, (cause he knows I'm into unibody Merc tailgates), and I told him same as Alan.
    Then told him Alan's story.
    Tal doesn't own the truck.......yet, but maybe the sun, the moon, and the stars did align last Monday, at least for a few car guys. I've been telling this story all week. Still can't believe it myself, but its true.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Days like that? Hell, I have weeks go by where it seems like everything I touch goes to crap!

hotrodharry2 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Just only weeks???? Bwaahahhahahaha. Try decades.
    Marcus...

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

You guys actually think the stars actually align?? What the hell you guys been smokin….?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Any day that seems bad to me causes me to look at what is happening to everyone else , then I smile and say , thank God I have all this junk to make me be thankful for .

22. In the greater scheme of things the battery problem is a pimple on a gnat's arse.

When I got home today I went out in the shop and decided I needed to see if I could diagnose the problem, I drug out the battery charger and tried to crank the car with the hot lead on the starter but it was to tight and close to the exhaust so I couldn't attach it.

So I resorted to climbing over the seat and taking up the floor mat, removing the velcro piece of carpet, take the metal plate out, pull the battery and hook up the jumper cables.

I let it charge for almost a hour and that's when I notice the overhead light had been left on, Totally my fault!

The charger showed a full charge so I put everything back together, I didn't do what I should have done and that's to try cranking it when the charger was still connected to the battery.

I tried to turn over but it didn't spin enough to crank, I try again this weekend and with a extra set of hands, I'll make sure it cranks before I put the battery back down in the hole under the back floorboard..... Forrest Gump said it best! :rolleyes: HRP

23. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, did you go apologize to Miss Brenda yet?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. last night I went to walk the car corral at the AACA fall Hershey meet. perfect weather, cool and clear. I lit a really nice cigar for the walk. stopped to take a leak and dropped it on the floor of the porta-potty........

25. Did you evoke the 5 second rule? :mad: HRP

Baumi, jim snow, alanp561 and 3 others like this.
  26. good god NO!

jim snow, HOTRODPRIMER and X-cpe like this.
  27. I knew you are brighter than that, just messing with you. :D:p. HRP

jim snow and tb33anda3rd like this.
  28. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Time to install a cut off for your battery old friend.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. You know, for the life of me I don't know why I never installed one on this car, everything else I have built has one, that's on my list of to do's for this winter. HRP

Petejoe likes this.
  30. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Yes but today they were all in alignment, she had to pry me from the garage because my family's coming over tonight.. Oh well... I was working on my 65 single points iron distributor..

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.