Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tires, for those who know a guy...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Budget36, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Budget36

Budget36

Or those who know a guy who knows a guy.

My kid needed tires for her car, 245/55/16's. I found Falcons online from $92.xx to $104.xx. Her boyfriend works as a Tech at Nissan, I said "ask Danny, maybe he can get you a better deal".

She calls me back and he can get the same tires for 295.00 delivered. I figure he's got a connection/etc.

He come over last night and I ask him where he got the tires from.

"Walmart".

I'd have never thought to check with Walmart.

Now, I realize this may not be for everyone, i/e cost was zero to get them put on and the old ones tossed. I don't know if they carry or can get anything hotrod related, but if you're on this board, you probably know someone who knows someone that can get them mounted and balanced for cheap on your daily driver and save some bucks in the process.

Just a friendly PSA.

j-jock and Driver50x like this.
  2. I've bought tires from them online, picked them up and mounted them myself. Great prices sometimes. Just for the record I (in general) hate Walmart tho.

3. Driver50x

Driver50x

I just put some Walmart tires on the front of my T-Bucket. 165/80R15. Nankangs. The reviews look really good on them, and it took less than an ounce apiece to balance them.

4. Since about 2017 (maybe earlier) Walmart has been seriously committed to challenging Amazon as a go to online retailer. Earlier this year they rolled out a "Prime" type delivery service.
    Walmart has invested heavy in the search engine market as well, and just about any search turns up a "you can get it at Walmart add"
    Personally, I am not a big fan of either and I would prefer to by USA made, from a local business. But sometimes the price and delivery time are hard to ignore...
    Chappy

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My brother is a manager for Discount Tire Co. I toss him the keys and tell him to put tires on it. I don't cheap out on tires (especially being from Michigan). Afterall, tires are LITERALLY the only things that connect your car to the road.

6. GTS225

GTS225

Hey, Budget36! Care to share what the date code is on the side of those Walmart tires?
    Nowadays, one is supposed to run tires for only about 5-6 years, then replace them, tread depth not withstanding. Doesn't do much good if the tires have been in a warehouse for 4 of those years.

Roger

7. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Walmart has tires made for them.
    I bought Firestones from them and the size/part number has an R in front.
    Is that normal? It was for Radial either.

8. I don't know how anybody selling tires can make a buck. I order tires from my supplier at work, & it seems like they cost about the same as going into the big tire shops. That's without mount/balance

j-jock and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. I have been using COSTCO for years. Good prices, good nationwide guarantee, and they have the best trained pit crew I have ever seen in a tire shop. I will check out Walmart when the time comes.

Charlie Stephens

j-jock likes this.
  10. Gman0046

Gman0046

Who cares who the tire seller is? Anywhere except Walmart. I'm more concerned who's the tires manufacturer.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  11. fuzzface

fuzzface

Yep, I buy tires at Walmart off and on. last set was cheaper to buy them online then at the store ($13.00 difference per tire) and it included free shipping so I didn't even have to go there.

Something I just saw last week when I was browsing a Walmart site is now you can buy from Advance Auto thru Walmart too.

They seem to be letting the stores go but they are sure gaining on or at least jumping on the internet bandwagon with all the internet sites they have been buying up.

12. flatford39

flatford39

I won't set foot in a WalMart until they stop gaming the system with their employees. You know they actually show them how to sign up for federal aid so they can continue to pay them minimum wage. Whatever you thought you saved is being picked up by the tax payer eventually.

alanp561, jim snow, BJR and 9 others like this.
  13. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

What he^^^ said.....

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

WalMart sucks as a company, but I buy my oil there and save 10 buck on the big jug size... 4 quarts? 5 ? not sure.

not buying some things there is like cutting off your nose to spite your face as my mother used to say.

Budget36, hidez57 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  15. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I'm lucky my son works at a Firestone store and I don't have to shop at Wal Mart. They say there is a problem with shoplifters and they have a guard at the door to check all you bags when you leave. Last time I was in there I told the Mgr. I could steal the stuff, serve time and get out of here quicker.

16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Not wanting to bash, but Wally world has ran most of the small business folks out of business. In a lot of cases, you don't have any other option to buy locally, if you can wait for something you might get it online somewhere.

I was buying tires from Discount Tire Direct online. Guy about a mile from me with a small store/shop/ gas station beat them on price when we bought the last ones for the wife's Expy. I will try him again when I get ready for another set.

17. Walmart has deals sure
    And thanks for pointing that out.

But wal-mart can hang itself for all I care
    Glorified dollar store junk
    Processed food
    Treat employees and suppliers, transport companies etc like commodities.

I hope the whole company looses an arm falls off a cliff and gets an ass itch and dies! Pfft.

Think about it?
    Why is North America and Europe going broke?
    Why are we all fat?
    Not all but a big part is Walmart and China
    It’s cheap pack of hot dogs, frozen French fries and a gallon of sodas feeds a family for 8 bucks

Shit I made a traditional Italian pasta salad in the week end damn thing was almost $40 bucks and that’s a side dish ?!?!?!

Baumi, trollst, Halfdozen and 4 others like this.
  18. Its not any industry’s fault we are the way we are, it’s all personal choices.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6sally6, Ribbedroof and Lou kriger like this.
  19. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I tell them to fucking get bent. If they want to watch me and the clerk while I pay for it at the register that's fine. Once I have the receipt it's my property. They have a problem with shady clerks, too fucking bad. Deal with it, leave me alone.

trollst, chargin03, jvo and 2 others like this.
  20. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does Walmart point a gun at these folks and make them eat their food? Walmart sells vegetables, fruit, and other healthy stuff. Why blame WalMart for a persons poor health habits?

6sally6, Budget36, hidez57 and 3 others like this.
  21. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

When I worked at a Ford dealership, we dealt in tires. Going through some one day with the parts guy and I noticed a lot of the tire listings had Walmart only on them. He said that it was a cheaper tire, Walmart tells GoodYear or whoever what they want to pay and they make them a cheaper grade tire. A guy that worked there bought a car that had a nice set of tires on it and his wife ran over something and tore one up. He went to Walmart and picked a tire, same brand, up and if you looked close the tread was slightly different. That tire wore out in less than 10,000 miles, the others still looked new.

Boneyard51, uncleandy 65 and Fordors like this.
  22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

recently went past 6 name brand tire stores within less than two city blocks - of course, now most tire places do brake work, oil changes, etc. - some places advertise that they will beat other shops prices - but, do not always carry same brands/sizes - can not always just look at price when comparing, need good warranty and free future rotation/balance too

23. Brands and quality

Costco has there own Michelin’s
    As does Canadian tire

We service the forklifts at a huge tire warehouse that brings all the tires in from China
    I was looking for 19” tires for my wife’s ford appliance a few winters ago and I was getting prices of 40-50-60 dollars from the warehouse!
    When I asked brands I got Nikki, Saverio, wanly, Ching Chang and a few others........ I asked wtftires are those ?!?!
    Was told by the warehouse manager the ones you buy for $600 bucks a set with a free alignment and are back in 10-20 k for a noise or pull or something.

Ok thanks I’ll buy some proper name brand tires thank you.

I know a few customers that bought the economy Costco Michelin tires and had issues with noise or vibration
    Took a few times going back and some arm twisting but Costco always fixed the issue and gave them the next tire up free of cost just to save face and fix the issue.

24. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Mike’s got right! We choose Wal-mart for our vehicle, as we drive all over the nation traveling. Figured if we had trouble, there’s a Wal-mart on every corner everywhere in the nation. We have had a lot of issues with the USA made Goodyear tires we bought there. Walmart backed them through warranty. All told we have gone through 3 sets in 110,000 miles. But it seems we can’t stay out of Walmart’s tire shops. One of my tire dealer friends told me Walmart has manufacturers build them to Walmart specs. I thought he was just BSing, but that’s probably why we had so much trouble with them.

Bones

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I always bought BF Goodrich until they upped the prices so much I couldn't afford them anymore. I tried a few import brands, some good, some not so good. Last set we got were Coopers, 4 for about what 2 or maybe 3 BFG's cost. USA made in Tupelo MS. Wife puts a lot of miles on her SUV, so I wanted something that would hold up to it and her. I'm planning on a set for my 4x4 pickup maybe by spring, if those Cooper's still look good, I may just buy her a new set and take hers for my pickup.

26. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Some of the Cooper tires are made in China too. Make sure the size you buy is US made.

27. upspirate

upspirate

I just went through shopping for boat trailer tires 205r75/14 st. Couldn't find any USA made ones even Carlisle that only does specialty and trailer tires. Everyone was from China.Firestone stores....China,Goodyear...China. Walmart online was cheaper than their tire dept could do and they said have them shipped to the store & if they were out of date, I could refuse and get a refund/re-order. I went with Carlisle's at a local tire store,in-date,about the same price.
    BTW, I HATE tire shopping,always have

28. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Summer of '06 I bought a set of "Goodyear" tires at WalMart to go on a trip. Every 1000 to 1200 miles they would go out of balance & start "road-hopping" badly enough to scare the hell out of you if you didn't know what it was. Stop at the nearest WalMart for a re-balance & go for another 1K miles then another re-balance. I stopped at a REAL Goodyear tire store to inquire about the "Goodyear" tires I'd bought at WalMart & was told "Those are "Seconds" that we make for the discount stores & we don't warranty them"! No, I do NOT buy tires at WalMart any more, ever!!

29. gene-koning

gene-koning

The guy at a local full service gas station (yes one still exists here) sells tires for a few dollars more then Wally world, I get my tires from him. The last 3 sets were USA made with current date codes. I've not had an issue with tires for about 20 years now, other then all the miles I put on them seem to wear the tread off the tires... Gene

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I buy all of my tires from a local branch of a big PNW tire store chain that has a store in just about every town of any size in the northwest. No hassles if I have a tire or battery issue on the road.
    People constantly piss and moan about the "underpaid walmart workers" but I can take you in the store I go to most often and show you a half dozen happy workers who probably wouldn't even get an interview at any other business who do a pretty good job. One young guy who I go to if he is checking has little or no use of his legs but does have a stool he sits on to check and he gets people checked out with very little hassle and the line moves at his check stand. I waited at the check out line today to get two gallons of oil and a garbage can that I needed. I don't do self check out there.