Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 36 ford brakes

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by robert blafka, Oct 9, 2019.

1. robert blafka

robert blafka

36 ford with boling brothers/speedway motors lincoln style drum brakes.have 68 gm dual drum/drum master-10 lb rpv in each system-midland booster is good-have power bled/2 person bled-same results- pedal feels ok-start engine-pedal goes almost to floor-power booster has correct 11/32 hose- no leaks-can hear shoes moving in drums but no stopping power! has driven me and all my car buddies nuts! THANKS FOR ANY IDEAS1

2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

3. Does you engine produce good vacuum? If you have too much cam the vacuum may drop to low for the booster to work well. Is there any kind of check valve in the hose that might stick?With that said even if the booster fails you should have manual brakes.

4. take the bleeder valves out, put a little Teflon tape on the threads and screw them back in but not all the way. Now take a piece of clear plastic hose on the bleeder screw and cut it long enough to fit into a mason jar on the floor, that you filled half way up with break fluid.. fill up the master cylinder, and slowly press the pedal to the floor, watching the tubing for air bubles. Do this till you see no more bubbles in the clear hose or bubbling out of the fluid in the jar. The fluid in the jar will keep from sucking air in when you release the pedal. then go around a do the other wheels. This is the only way I have ever been able to get the brakes bled on any car that has the pedal under the floor.