Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stromberg 4 x 2 linkage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigchuck, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Trying to figure out the linkage set up for 4 97's staggered on an Edlebrock OL-496 mainfold. I have a linkage kit and some extra stuff but, I do not really quite know how it all goes together. The booklet have from stromberg for 4 x 2 linkage is not a whole lotta help.
    So, anybody out there running this set up that could put op a couple of photos would help a bunch. Linkage 1.jpg

Deuces, kidcampbell71 and dana barlow like this.
  2. I have this same set up for my 324 Olds to go in my 32 sedan. Id like to see it al put together as well. One for a Weiand WC4D instake should be basically the same.

3. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

I have emailed Stromberg for info. This was all set up (I think) at one point by someone who used to work here and is long gone. The carburetors were in a plastic bin, the linkage in pieces, mixed in with some other similar linkage was all in a box. . No pictures, diagrams of how it all went together.
    I found pics two setups to kind of guide me. One of the same manifold but, you cannot really see the back of the intake to see what is going on with the cross shaft.

Attached Files:

Deuces and dana barlow like this.
  4. I found that the extended throttle shafts from the passenger side carbs flex and looked like they could bind so I built an aluminum flat bar that attaches to the two driver side throttle shaft bushings. It is a tight fit to provide a stable support for the extended shafts that pass thru it. Then I used throttle arms and small heim joints with a SS shaft that I got from Tractor supply which is connected to a larger adjustable arm on the rear carb to get the pull I needed. Looked for the pic but can't find it and the whole project is in storage as we are building a new house/garage currently so I may not be much help. That engine is in my avatar if you can blow it up for reference.
    Dickster would be a good guy to solicit info from as he has built many induction systems.

Paul and dana barlow like this.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Home made,( (94 s)use stock arms,bent down a tiny bit to make longer through. Fuel log is also home made from stainless box tube,along with intake done from cutting up a drive shaft. Other 4x2 set up intakes have off sets of carbs that will make it harder for linkage. All 4 carbs are straight up from ports, there is a divider between ports running from log down to head< most factory log intakes don't have. My own is a Ford "Y" v8 014 (2).JPG 001 (4).JPG 024.JPG

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
    Tim, Deuces, belair and 2 others like this.
  7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

8. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Update. I got in touch with Stromberg and they (Clive) recommended just running one rod straight through all 4 link arms. He said a back bar was not necessary because with the extended throttle shafts it was possible to line up all the link arms with one piece of rod. I sent him the photo of the Olds that I posed above and he basically said all that was not necessary. Waiting on a couple of parts, I will post up of photo of what I end up with.

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

There is more than one way to skin a cat

dana barlow likes this.
  10. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Like This.

20191010_082920.jpg

Tim, Deuces, mgtstumpy and 4 others like this.
  11. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The ones that I have seen that work well all had some kind of support for the two extended throttle shafts.

12. Nice now I know what to do for this one! Olds 4x2.jpg

13. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

The extended shafts on this are supported by a hinge that attaches to the carburetor bases behind the extended shafts.

14. Sleddin51

Sleddin51
    from San Diego

Joining the party late. Currently trying to install stromberg direct fit linkage to 4 97’s on edelbrock ol496 intake. Stromberg instructions pretty confusing imo. Can anyone post detailed pics of their install or a video that could help me out? Much appreciated.

15. Sled, what did they send you in the "kit"? A pic would be helpful.
    You will require some sort of extensions for the PS carbs and a support to hold them from wobbling around. Add throttle arms as in the pic above with a straight piece of SS to connect them. Connect pedal arm to the first carb and you have the basic set up. Set your idle up by synching all 4 carbs to the rpm needed and tighten the arms up on the shafts. Check for WOT, adjust as required.