Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New Project: 1953 Oldsmobile

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EnragedHawk, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Grabis

Grabis

Hey Hawk, I’m sure someone with more knowledge will pop on here but I’ve got a 60 Buick that spit one off the other day and it looks like it was similar to a press fit/rivet. One time deal unless you could try to re-flare the backside.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    EnragedHawk likes this.
  2. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Yeah, I got a PM from someone earlier saying that it was pinched on with no clip. He even offered me a replacement for free! The H.A.M.B. is awesome. I’m going to try and fit mine back on somehow first. I’ve got a few ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Out of curiosity, how tall is your WP pulley?
    Looks like it is shallowish compared to what I have on hand, it may just be the angle of the shot.

On the later GMs you can get a knob replacement kit black or cleaer, not sure on the earlier cars.

Usually those are just riveted on, if the knob was loose/sloppy for a while the rivet/bushing was already worn out and I don't know off the top of my head of any knob replacements for those handles. Usually the rivet head is as large as the hole. Might be able to swedge it back in.
    If the windows are hard to crank, which would wear out those handles, take the door card off, clean and regrease the tracks and regulator.

EnragedHawk likes this.
  4. Corvette Fever

Corvette Fever
    from Michigan

Just a thought but how about threading the inside of the rivet and putting a screw with a shallow head on the inside.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

EnragedHawk likes this.
  5. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Like a Rivnut

EnragedHawk likes this.
  6. Many years ago I worked in a shop and we had a hot-shot young guy that was a part timer, he went to BOCES during the week. A big Olds 98 came in, needed a water pump and it had a 455 in it. This guy would not listen and dropped his hardware into the coolant bucket under the car. We told him to trace the water pump gasket on cardboard and push the bolts through it as he took them out.. no thanks. He went to lunch and some wag takes a double handful of old hardware from our hardware collection, dumps it into the coolant bucket. 1/2 way through the new pump install, the guy realized he has been had.

I was told to finish the car since it was getting late. The pump is already on and I'm looking at the belts... they do not line up. Tell the service advisor, we got the wrong pump. SOP is to match up the old and new pumps before doing anything and we advised the kid to do it. In one ear and out the other.. The advisor told me to button it up, it will be fine. A week later the customer is back... I see the car pull up and make myself scarce. The thing threw the belts, the radiator was damaged, it needed a tow and another shop did it right. We even got stuck with a car rental for a day.

chryslerfan55 and EnragedHawk like this.
  7. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Hey all! Sorry I only seem to come back when there’s a problem. You guys are always awesome about helping me bounce ideas around. Can’t tell you how much I appreciate it.

Good news first, went out to Pistons and Paint yesterday in Denton. Had a blast. Car did great for the most part. By that, I really just mean it got there and back. Haha But the belts haven’t given me any more trouble since I shimmed them.

I’ve seem to have sprung a pretty serious oil leak, or it just advances when I’m cruising 80. Had to add a quart of oil over the 200+ miles, so I’m not too panicked yet, but I’m keeping a close eye on it.

About 30 miles into the trip on the way back,the car picked up a bad shake. As in, I’m pretty sure my butt is still numb from the trip home yesterday.

I’ve always had a bit of a shake from 60-70, but it wasn’t too bad and it smoothed out at 80. Now the shake starts around 40, gets worse at 55, and just vibrates the shit out of the car through 80. It’s not in the steering, it’s the whole car.

I did scrape leaving a parking lot yesterday, and my current thought is the trans crossmember. It’s a crappy piece of work to start, but I’m guessing I’ve bent it more and maybe put the trans angle out from the pinion angle. Here’s a picture of it, pardon all the oil. Haven’t cleaned anything yet.

IMG_1400.JPG

Don’t get me wrong, it needs to be fixed whether that’s the problem or not, but does that look like a reasonable culprit for the symptoms I’m describing?

chryslerfan55 and Gotgas like this.
  8. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Maybe, but I'd look elsewhere if the vibration is that bad. First thing I'd check is to make sure you don't have a tread coming apart, a tire bubble would do it, too. I'd also check to make sure your U joints are still all together.

That trans mount is abysmal. You should correct it sooner rather than later

chryslerfan55, Hombre and EnragedHawk like this.
  9. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Dammit! Nice call. Glad I recent got my old Firebird from high school running. I’ll have something to drive till I can get new tires.
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and Peanut 1959 like this.
  10. BJR

BJR

11. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

I'm not saying you have an oil leak...
    [​IMG]

... but you might have an oil leak.

One of three places for there to be a leak on the top front of a GEN II Olds V8.

Oil fill tube/cap.
    Verify the oil fill tube is not loose. Some machine shops will remove this during rebuild and try to reinstall the original tube during a rebuild. This doesn't usually work and the tube needs to be replaced, otherwise it will leak.
    If the cap is leaking verify the seal is good and the cap fits snug.
    If it does, with a flash light look down the oil fill tube, you should not be able to see the timing chain, if you can then the oil fill baffle was removed/lost during a rebuild. This will cause oil windage to sling up the oil fill tube and leak out the cap. This can be exacerbated if there is an improper PCV system or no system as the pressure will just blow past the cap seal.

Pretty common for the oil sender adapter to leak if it has been disturbed.
    The fitting can loosen, threads on the brass can become a bit sloppy, or simply no one used any sealant or tape to seal the threads.

Clocking of the fitting while getting a proper seal can be a bit of a chore.
    Clean up that whole front area, simple green and a power washer make quick work of it, better is to go to a coin-op with the power soap/pressure soap setting to remove the gunk and funk off.
    Remove the oil sender fittings, remove the adapter if it is loose. If the straight piece sticking out of the block is in tight, leave it for now.
    Verify the threads have not been damaged. If they are a a bit sloppy, yellow lp gas tape is a miracle worker, otherwise regular white teflon tape usually works.
    Dry fit everything first(count the number of turns) and then use tape/goo to seal.
    Snug everything back together and that usually cures the oil pressure sender/sensor leak on GenII Oldsmobile V8s.

I'm guessing the hard line mechanical line goes to the factory gauge, and the other goes to an electric.
    Verify the original Olds line/fitting are installed properly. If the PO was reusing the original Olds fitting on a non original fitting, it may not be seated/sealing properly. That little barrel that seals may not seal against the non-original surface.

FWIW
    64-90 Olds V8s used this adapter to clear the timing cover with the pressure sender(electric gauge).
    Olds Oil pressure sender adapt-toid.png

There are certain unscrupulous places that will label it as a '4-4-2' or 'Hurst/Olds' part and want near $100 for it.
    Any yarde that have 70's-80's Olds V8 powered cars/trucks will most likely have this adapter. Local hardware store has a very similar fitting for a whopping $12.
    Can also make one from a few parts of 1/4" brass and street 45° elbow(female on both ends)

12. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

[QUOTE="MAD MIKE, post: 13321663
    Can also make one from a few parts of 1/4" brass and street 45° elbow(female on both ends)[/QUOTE]
    That wouldn't be a street elbow, a street elbow has male threads on one end and female threads on the other end, female both ends is just a 45 degree elbow.

13. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Agreed.
    However, when I ask for a 45° fitting, it's all round, no real way to put wrench flats on it. And in a confined space such as the Olds, a pipe wrench isn't going to cut it.
    If I ask for a street 45° elbow with female ends I'll get a proper brass piece made out of bar stock with flats like this.

Brass-Street-Pipe-Elbow-Fitting-1-4-NPT.jpg

There's all sorts of nomenclature that gets fouled up in the various industries, sometimes it's far easier to ask for the wrong name to get the right part than argue with the counter folk.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Thanks for all the information! The fill tube is definitely loose. I tried rtv at one point on it. The car is now parked in the spot-of-disappointment, while I start getting various issues fixed:
    [​IMG]

Work has me super busy right now, but I’ll tear into it once we hit Thanksgiving break.

15. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Verify the bottom of the tube is not mangled or distorted.
    If it is still nice and round clean it up, clean up the block, add some core plug sealant if its a little loose, and with a 3-5lb single jack and a block of wood, tap her in.
    If yours is mangled you can pickup a new one for ~$20. There are a few places, again Hurst/Olds or 4-4-2 labeling, that want double that or more.

16. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Haven’t done anything with the car yet, but would like some opinions on my tire options.

Money is tight as always, and I’ve got two cars that need tires (Firebird and the Olds). It’s only been a week since I’ve driven the Olds, and I already miss it like hell. May get a used black wall slapped on for now.

Anyway, the white wall tires I have on the car now were free, but they’re old, hence the separation that started on one. So I’m looking at 3 options...

A: replace the lone white wall for $300 installed

2: slap new black walls back on all 4 corners $355 for all installed

D: and I’m hesitant on this one, 1” white walls for around $450 installed

Curious to know what you guys think.

*edit* I keep leaning toward option A. I could at least plan to replace tires as I can afford to. A new one every few months.

Sent from my iPhone

17. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Of course this is up to you, but I would not choose option A, and would lean toward option B as that is what would have been used on most of them back in the day.

18. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I know for sure that’s the smart choice, I just love the whites. If I went back to black walls, think I should keep the wheels black or sandblast them back to bare? Hell, maybe paint them to match the car?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I'd paint them to match the car.

20. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

So much for tires. My co-pilot is very sick, and I love this damn dog. My options yesterday were put her down or have a stupid expensive surgery. I’m at the vet this morning to drop her off for surgery. I’m not ready to lose her.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  21. Mike Moreau

Mike Moreau

Tires can wait.

DIYGUY, chryslerfan55 and Hombre like this.
  22. Hombre

Hombre

Good to see your priorities are were they need to be. Tires "CAN" wait, take care of your buddy!

DIYGUY and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That car needs WWWs. Nothing else will suffice

24. 392

Great ride and looks like pure fun. Beautiful lines.

25. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Take care of your animal if you can afford it,two years ago I had to put my dog down since I did not have the money and the vet could not say if the surgery would help in the long run.

26. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

27. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I am so sorry for your loss, I know it isn't easy but take comfort in the knowledge that she will not suffer anymore.

EnragedHawk likes this.
  28. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Sorry, man.

EnragedHawk likes this.
  29. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

sorry for your dog ;
    i feel your pain , i was in the same boat 8 years ago ; i lost 2 dogs in two months ...
    i cried for months....

EnragedHawk likes this.
  30. Hombre

Hombre

Man I am so sorry for your loss. These critters become family and there loss can be just terrible, no easy way to deal with this either. Best luck to you...