Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Sleeper or Hot Rod ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exterminator, Oct 9, 2019.

1. exterminator

exterminator

loudbang and PONTNAK123 like this.
  2. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love 40's with flames and have had 6 40's with flames. I am thinking about ditching the flames on my 40 and going no flames and contrast the purple with red steelies and big whites like the purple coupe below my truck Resized952019050895143451955091.jpg 50519245_10215972153650298_9068523381908832256_n.jpg

3. chargin03

chargin03

Good lookin truck as is.

exterminator and loudbang like this.
  4. jim snow

jim snow

What Phil and squirrel said. Snowman

5. 6sally6

6sally6

I like how it is now but.........like the others have stated you need to pleasure yourself.:confused: (Isn't that what all the guys were say'in?.....pleasure yourself?....maybe I heard it worng:rolleyes:)
    6sally6

6. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

[​IMG]

Copied this picture of a friend's pickup

It screams hot rod truck to me, Yes it's patina'd, yes it's stock bodied, but it has stance, stance and more stance, and has examples of the suggestions to make your pickup more of a hot rod.

My 2c well spent - I'd say

7. exterminator

exterminator

Thank you guys for your comments. I think I will lean more on the conservative side by adding some chrome and maybe some light pinstriping and maybe some mags if I can find something I like in 5x 5 1/2.

kevinrevin, PONTNAK123 and BamaMav like this.
  8. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I prefer my car to run nice more than anything, I like the looks low key.. I would never change that paint on that truck.. That truck is so badass, it needs nothing..

On second thought, how about black steel wheels with chrome lug nuts..

exterminator likes this.
  9. 1ton

1ton

I have that "less is more" type of attitude and I really like your truck as is.

exterminator likes this.
  10. [​IMG]

To me this just screams Mail order Visa Card "Street Rod" not Hot Rod. The stance says M-2 right off and the Wheels are just on the wrong vehicle. It's a delicate mix for sure. I'm a Big fan of Sleepers. A little Chrome don't hurt with taste. I like the stock mirrors but on the drawing they look out of place to me, would be Spot On on your truck.

11. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Why label it? Get a different set of wheels and tires you can swap back and forth between. Update some chrome and mirrors as suggested. Don't pigeon hole the truck. A couple little changes could really change the looks of it. Drive and enjoy!
    SPark

pprather, catdad49 and exterminator like this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-10-12_3-57-41.png a nice looking sleeper...
    Hey E,

Your truck looks rather classy. The color is right in the thick of things and has the “racer” color feel. I would say that your truck is definitely a cool hot rod and big time sleeper. I am partial to this array of color as my first (Flathead powered) 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery was painted a racer orange by the former owner. But those midnight paint jobs caused some color problems and it came out what most called it: “Salmon Pink.” That was one of the reasons the former owner sold the sedan delivery to me.
    upload_2019-10-12_3-58-43.png He got tired of hearing the description of his first paint job as “Salmon Pink.” I thought it looked like the orange/red tone of cars we used to see at Lions Dragstrip.

As others have said, your truck has its own monotone color scheme. So, maybe a few chrome trim pieces, bumpers and outside original mirrors. (granted the stock mirrors give less view in its intended purposes, especially if the truck bed is piled up with stuff.) Our sedan delivery had the stock outside mirrors and that, plus the sedan delivery blind spot caused my wife to start having problems driving it around.

My first sedan delivery came with black rims and a small hubcap. I had no money for mag wheels or even chrome wheels, at the time, so we used paint to see what it would look like. The silver paint, the white paint and some orange/red spray looked ok on the rims, but they were not as good as a set of chromes or mag wheels. So, back to black and I added a chrome beauty ring trim to give it a finished look.

That was the best look as a teenager’s hot rod/surf transportation. I liked the look so much that when we (wife and I) bought a semi modified sedan delivery, it was almost the same color. The look was changed to the same cool look of black rims, beauty trim rings and a small hubcap.
    upload_2019-10-12_3-59-23.png 327 powered
    Before going to mag wheels, that in itself will change the look of your truck. Look for those style of mags on other truck photos. It will change the look from hot rod to the drag racer look and then you can decide. Once the monotone paint scheme is broken up with a few chrome trim pieces, it will look relatively stock. But, isn’t that is why we all like 1940 Ford cars, trucks and sedan deliveries?

Jnaki

On last suggestion: have HAMB’s expert Photoshop person (@themoose) do a before and after using stock wheels painted black and one with the mag wheels. Then that would be the best wheel option for you. A third photodrawing would be to Photoshop in those chrome trim pieces including a new outside mirror. (With and without the chromes, black rims or mags.) YRMV

13. exterminator

exterminator

Jnaki, thanks for the kind words and your 40 sedan delivery sure looks good and familiar to me. I don't have photoshop so I have never done that. As for the wheels, I have picked up a wider set for the rear to fill the fenders and they are stock 51/2 bolt pattern rims. With that pattern it is hard to find torque thrust rims to fit my truck so as right now this will be the look it has. I will look for chrome bumpers, door handels and mirrors as I find them. Thanks for yours and everyone's imput. Exterminator

catdad49 and jnaki like this.
  14. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know these are not polished but I put these on my wifes 61 vette and the car had enough chrome to scream hotrod.also you can take these to a powder coater and have them powder coated in the the pvd chrome about 50.00 a wheel .they are 99.00 a wheel jegs and summit 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern 1961 corvette 031.JPG are-1056865.jpg

15. exterminator

exterminator

I didn't see your post until today. I will have to check these rims out. Thanks Pontnak.

16. exterminator

exterminator

Since I put this post out, I replaced my rear rims in the rear with 8 inch rims. Unfortunely my hubcaps wont fit the back rims since they only take the late 50s-to 60s pancake hubcaps. Oh well.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  17. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Chromed out, some mags and some louvers.
    Red isn't my fave color, but it works on yours.
    I like flames, but they're so hard to get done "right"

exterminator likes this.
  18. southerncad

southerncad

I'm with the "sleeper crowd", just add some wide whites, dog dish caps with trim ring, a chrome bumper, door handles and mirror, and call it good.....then go out and surprise the s..t out of the local fart pipe Hondas;)

exterminator likes this.
  19. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

This is my “sleeper”. Still has a few zzzzz’s left.:D CFD404CD-6B95-44D2-8740-7F0EDF89B5BA.jpeg

SS327, Bandit Billy and exterminator like this.
  20. catdad49

catdad49

Guess you would IMG_2530.jpg call this a "Sleeper".

exterminator likes this.
  21. exterminator

exterminator

Wow! A model of my truck. The louvers do look good on it. And I have two chrome rims already. Hmmm. But, will it be a sleeper? Exterminator

catdad49 likes this.
  22. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

leave it alone drive it

exterminator likes this.
  23. Sleeper? I'd go the other way... paint the bumpers, wheels and mirrors black (preferably with a brush), lose the trim rings. The missing rear hub caps will be a nice touch. Stop washing it. Pass off the blower whine as a 'noisy generator'... You might make some money until word gets out... LOLOL

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    exterminator likes this.
  24. exterminator

exterminator

25. catdad49

catdad49

"Your" truck (see above) has a blown flatty. I Never build 'em like the art on the box!

exterminator likes this.
  26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry, late to the party. Post up a pic with your new rear wheels please. I have a real passion for these trucks, so many ways to build them and a design that is really hard to muck up.

exterminator likes this.
  27. grdra1

grdra1

I like as is, maybe with a 6.71 and twin four barrels, sleepers are cool. Glen

exterminator likes this.
  28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@hotrodhoodlum has a pair or two of chrome handles in the classifieds, good deal
    upload_2020-9-2_16-1-50.png

29. exterminator

exterminator

Just seen your post today Bandit. Will get a picture as soon as i can. Exterminator

30. exterminator

exterminator

IMG_0604.jpg Here they are. They fill the wheelwell good.

Attached Files:

catdad49 likes this.