Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Introduction and needed guidance...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 335wcoupe, Oct 7, 2019.

1. 335wcoupe

335wcoupe

not a hijack at all! are you running a stock spring and cross member in the rear? I like the stance you have and if I could achieve that, I'd be happy.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  2. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

So what color is it ? I like it, it’s too nice to chop IMHO
    Great car, great story.....enjoy and welcome

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. 335wcoupe

335wcoupe

It's Grey. :) I'm a little embarrassed to say, but it is a Toyota color. I think they just started using it in 2018 or 2019. I've seen it on some Tacoma's around town.

Although I know better than to never say never, I'll never chop this car. There are fewer and fewer not chopped 33/34's out there. I am doing things to improve the drive ability, but I want it to be easy to go back to stock if I or the next guy wants to.

4. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I agree so few like it, leave it without a chop, we all use colors from whatever, no harm in that. I’m planning gray as well so I’m curious exactly which gray it is, color code? Year, model ?
    Thanks

Boneyard51 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Nothing wrong with that stance from here.

Stogy, Boneyard51 and 335wcoupe like this.
  6. 335wcoupe

335wcoupe

I'll try to get the paint code for you. might be a few weeks, my painter is out of town.

Boneyard51 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Brad, Awesome car and story you have!. I am in Gonzales too., If you need any help or have any questions id love to come check out your project, just send me a pm. good luck on your project, love the color too
    Ryan

Boneyard51 likes this.
  8. 335wcoupe

335wcoupe

Yeah, I thought about those, but after seeing some pics of some nice looking cars with the original 17s I think I am going to run them with 550's in the front and 700's in the back. I am anxious to get this car on the road so I am going to take the advice of several on this thread and use what I got and get her on the road. I can spend the rest of my life tweaking it if I want. :)

Stogy, Boneyard51, 32SEDAN and 8 others like this.
  9. 421-6Speed

421-6Speed

Great build and story. Keep up the good work...

Boneyard51 likes this.
  10. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Here's my 2 cents:
    Many people have stated to flatten the rear crossmember. That might be ok if you were still in the initial phase of building, but you aren't. So I'd suggest that you just try a reversed eye rear spring with a few of the leaves taken out to see if that gets you to a height you like.
    For the front, you should get a dropped original Ford axle (or have yours dropped) from any of the guys that are doing them. You should also get some '37-48 spindles and have the arms dropped the needed amount. Maybe the axle dropping guys can do that for you too when they do the axle.
    Reverse the front spring eyes and remove a few leaves.
    Don't split the front bones.
    Use a "hoop" steering arm.
    Run '40-48 brakes all around.
    Use '35 wires all around (don't forget the special adapter rings needed for use with later drums).
    Use your stock '34 steering box unless it's not rebuildable, then use an F1 or F100.
    Keep the stock 21 stud & 3 spd trans until you can build a nice 24 stud and '39ish trans.

Xman, Hnstray, chopnchaneled and 6 others like this.
  11. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

This is solid advice, and definitely the way i would go.

Boneyard51 and 335wcoupe like this.
  12. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

AMAZING! $18 WOW! Nice ride. Good luck with it and have fun.

13. alchemy

alchemy

You can get a lot of lowering done just with the springs. There are tons of threads with guys showing how they did their reversed eye main leaves (lowers 1") at home with a cheapo Horrible Freight 20 ton press. Then you could probably remove a leaf or two from the front for a bit softer ride. And you could adjust the height a touch more by taking a bit of arch out of every leaf (lowers another inch or more).

My 32 sedan has a stock rear spring (including all the original leaves) that has the original main leaf, not reversed. The leaves are slightly de-arched. It has about 2.5" before the axle hits the rubber bumper. You could go lower if you can stand it. It's a weekend job to remove the spring, do some de-arching in the press, and reassemble. Sneak up on it, and change it if you need more.

Bhambdrags2.jpg

14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

There is a traditional way to get the same effect as the overdrive transmission you mentioned. That is a “Columbia” rear end. It’s a bolt in two speed rear end, that gives you 4:11 gears and 3:00 gears, usually. They are not cheap, but would be close in price to the conversation. They would easier to install that the modern overdrive transmission and would keep with tradition. I recently sold a complete unit for $1500.

Bones

Stogy and 335wcoupe like this.
  15. 335wcoupe

335wcoupe

I'm going to start with reversing the springs and go from there. The main question I am mulling over right now is if I should stay with the 17" wires or find some 1935 16" ones.

I have basically scratched the T5 option. The Columbia is an option.

16. 16" or 17" may not matter in the end. It's tire dia. your after. Once you decide what that is check and see if that size is made in 17" to fit the wheels you have.

335wcoupe and Stogy like this.
  17. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

What width are the 17" rims? I think the 16" are 4" wide.

Stogy likes this.
  18. 17s should be 3.5 inches wide
    you can widen them if desired
    a lathe and good welder, the wheel kid (hope thats correct) can do that. dont know the pricing

Stogy likes this.
  19. finally got to look at your car on something bigger than my phone
    that thing just needs a little spring work in the back
    I would start with the spring on the front as well, then possibly have the front axle stretched if more drop was needed

there are several threads hear on de-arching and reversing springs here
    springs are not very expensive pieces to purchase new either

Stogy likes this.
  20. alchemy

alchemy

I actually changed from 16" steelies to the stock 18" wires this past year. With 7.00 and 5.50 Excelsiors.

IMG_0335.JPG

kidcampbell71, alfin32, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  21. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

That is sweet. Love the stance and color.

Stogy likes this.
  22. Keep it simple for awhile and enjoy as your grandpa would have.....your a very lucky man to have it in your garage.

335wcoupe and Stogy like this.
  23. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I hear ya on the T5 in first gear I have one in my car with a Flathead and I get a little more than 10 feet but not much more. It doesn't really bother me to much and it does do 60 on the highway pretty comfortably. I'm not doing hole shots with it but I still have fun with it. I'm not sure what the gears are though. It works for me. Great info.

24. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

3" dropped / drilled '32 Big Beam, stock crossmembers, reversed eye springs.
    Killer stance, but turning radius sucks. May have to reverse engineer something.

335wcoupe likes this.
  25. ...concerning T-5's,...does it really matter, they don't show, and you're building the car to drive today, not in 1950-1960's...T-5's are saving our old engines....put an old Hurst shifter in and drive.///awesome car you are building!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    j-jock likes this.
  26. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Guys he doesn't need a hoop steering arm, the 34 spindles has a top arm.

I have a 34 pickup. Same chassis.
    I have reverse eye spring and a 2" dropped axle. It sits plenty low. I went with 16" wheels with 5:00/7:00 tires. 7:50 on the rear looks too tall and narrow.

You don't need to cut up anything on the frame, or chassis. Some gentle heat on the steering arms will put them in the right spots. It requires knowledge of how to do it right.

335wcoupe likes this.
  27. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I should point out everyone on this forum should know you can build this whole car into a nice hot rod and never have to weld anything!
    And you certainly don't need to cut into a car this nice!

335wcoupe likes this.
  28. I wouldn't worry too much about what ya should do, do what ya want and hell with the rest. I think the 33-34 Ford was the most beautiful production car ever produced and you have a very special one that will always mean a great deal to you. Love that ya are going with gramps wishes thats also something special. Keep it Flat!!!!!!

335wcoupe likes this.
  29. WC Durant

WC Durant