Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Modified Murray - The Last Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by scootermcrad, Dec 27, 2014.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just some current photos would be uplifting to see. Bob

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of weird things have been happening to me lately, including this car and build popping up out on the interweb. And now this got bumped... Just this morning I got slapped up side the head with a new way to handle this build and try to get some enjoyment out of it.

Since I last posted, which was forever ago, an additional delay came into my life... Daughter #2 is on the way!! Due in July. So awesome, but so bad for this build. So things, once again, have gone sideways to get ready for this sort of unplanned scenario.

Since my last post, I've done a bunch more blocking and paint prep. I had taken quite a bit of the car apart to do the work, in fact. So the grille shell, radiator assembly, and all that have been removed. I've also since found a great interior guy that I'm going to have do the seats. He's something like 16 years old and this young man is just killing it and enjoying what he does. If I'm going to outsource something, I definitely prefer to have someone like that do that work.

Here's what updated pictures I can offer and a couple of "reheated" pictures that I dug up just for myself as a reminder...

The paint has suffered dearly on this Hemi. I should have put a sacrificial anode in the system somewhere. So I'll be repainting the whole engine, it looks like. Yaaay. The paint on the chassis is taking quite a beating as well. This car is going to have some great natural patina by the time it's derivable! HA!

IMG_5675.jpg
    This was before and during the disassembly of the car (again).

IMG_5395.jpg

IMG_5526.jpg

IMG_5615.jpg

IMG_5527.jpg

Such a weird car...

IMG_5621.jpg
    Also started making a new knob for the King fuel filter/regulator. Last time I ran the engine the plastic knob for the sediment bowl stripped out, dropped under pressure, and puked fuel all over everything. So before the engine is run again, this has to be taken care of. And of course it's a weird metric thread.

IMG_5394.jpg

IMG_5523.jpg

Oh... and my daughter is probably going to end up being a car girl, too. :D Maybe she can finish it for me... HAHA

IMG_5478.JPG

With all of this life stuff going on, I'm also trying to get my C10 on the road with a freshly built 283 because I just REALLY need a truck as well as a reliable back-up vehicle. And also, with a baby on the way it's forced me to work hard to jam on our home renovation, which is a WHOOOOOOLE different can of worms!!!

That's all I've got for you guys right now, but I think there is going to be some more work coming soon. I have way too many irons in the fire right now. It has all officially caught up to me. Not sure how my wife deals with it all, but she's rad for being so supportive of this mess.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    pwmcx95, Okie Pete, brEad and 18 others like this.
  3. 73RR

73RR

Very good to hear that all is well in the Scooter household. Best regards to you and Holly on #2!

loudbang and Blue One like this.
  4. You got this, Scooter!!

I've had the good fortune to get to know Scooter and this motorvated masterpiece since he moved east! This dude is uber-talented and has ALL his irons in the fire at once (and some others also). He's doing great work on the home renovations, raising his girl (soon to be girls) right, being a great cheerleader and #1 fan for his sweetheart of a wife, and helping others out when they need a hand! And he's deep into community activities, too!

Stand-Up guy and proud to call him my brother-from-another-mother!!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Stogy, loudbang and Blue One like this.
  5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you, my friend! I appreciate it! I'm still sending people you're way. I hope they have been good customers. :D

Thanks brother! Looking forward to seeing you before too long, here. And I always appreciate your support and encouragement.

loudbang and brett4christ like this.
  6. Good stuff Scott! Congrats on the upcoming addition to the family. One day we will both get our projects done.:rolleyes:

Stogy, loudbang and scootermcrad like this.
  7. Car looks great, I'm from Kannapolis but now live in Winston Salem NC, trying get back down there soon.

loudbang and scootermcrad like this.
  8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks man!

Will we, though? Haha

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  9. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@scootermcrad your pics are red x'd...when you have a moment it would be nice to see them.

Congrats on All the good stuff going on for you and your family...

loudbang and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Crap... Sorry guys. Not sure what's up. When I check the picture links they show up. But when I "Preview" the post they are now gone (red X'd). Not sure why they are not showing up. I'll see if I can upload them a different way when I get a chance.

They were Google Photo links. Anyone have this happen with their pictures using Google Photos? I must be getting old because my ability for internet tech is rapidly degrading.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    loudbang and Stogy like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you download the pics to a folder on your desktop hard drive then edit the post and upload new pics it will show up.

One thing I do with red x edits is select all area where original pics were and delete the space as it still contains the red x's even though you can't see it when your editing. Then I repost the new pics...Its a pain

loudbang likes this.
  13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fixed it. Just reloaded them... :)

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A reminder of where I started...
    IMG_5335.JPG
    IMG_5336.JPG
    IMG_5337.JPG

Lil'Alb, pwmcx95, Okie Pete and 10 others like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Great stuff @scootermcrad...thanks for updating the thread...Unfortunately the only ones that can edit these are the OP...but the silver lining in that is there is a way to revive a bad situation...;)

scootermcrad and loudbang like this.
  16. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

If your sedan had a wooden subfloor it should have a [2] rivet body # tag on the firewall...
    very handy if using aftermarket frames...

loudbang likes this.
  17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well... dammit... It seems the pictures may have disappeared AGAIN! I tried to fix the links, but they're not updating. I use Google photos and it doesn't seem to be very reliable. The photos preview, but the dreaded "red X" when posting. I'll see what I can figure out.

Anyway, I was going to talk about this car for a minute. I'm still alive (some of you have seen my posts on IG), but life continues to be pretty "real" around here with the delivery of our second little girl, Emerson. I've got very little done besides sending out my seats to a young upholsterer that is the perfect match for this job. However, something more needs to happen or the end to this LAST build thread will not be a favorable one. So, since I still get people asking, "what's going on with this car? What's left?!" I decided to make a preliminary "TO DO" list. So here it is, in no particular order. Most of this is for me and may not makes sense to you guys. This is what needs to get done to put it on the road the way it needs to be:

TO DO!
    * Finish brake lines and setup
    * Throw-out bearing/clutch M/C lines
    * Fuel lines
    * Hemi head studs (shorten 5)
    * Re-paint/repair paint on Hemi (galvanic issues)
    * Make sediment bowl nut (odd metric thread) for King filter-regular
    * New plug wires
    * Dial in carbs
    * Chop grille insert
    * Finish radiator support rod
    * Header block-offs
    * Header v-bands may need to be replaced with something more low-profile
    * Mount clutch
    * Measure for and buy hydraulic T-out bearing
    * Setup parking brake
    * Heel rest
    * Drive shaft
    * Finish engine mounts (final fab and paint)
    * Fix rear push bar to better clear shock body
    * Setup all 4 shocks and links
    * Setup steering components as intended (going to need a couple new rod ends)
    * Rear wide-5 vanity bushings (steel)
    * Finish garnish moldings
    * finish window regulators
    * get glass cut
    * remake forward trans cover and paint
    * finish rear compartment lid
    * finish interior paint details before final reassembly
    * Finish doors and paint interior side
    * Fix LS drip rail (a little "oopsy" that's bothering me)
    * Finish body work and put in sealer (this is the biggest challenge at this point)
    * Electrical
    * Speedo cable arrangement (need right angle drive for GM trans!)
    * Door and window seals
    * Shifter and park handle boots
    * Insulate roof so I don't catch on fire in the sun (remember! Aluminum roof!!)
    * Install headliner
    * Seats sent out for upholstery - finish seat mounts when seats returned
    * Final assembly
    * Transfer title from CA to NC
    * Joy ride....

Not a terrible list, but with virtually no time, it's going to be challenging to finish. So yeah... not much has changed.

brad2v, Surfcityrocker, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  18. Lol. X marks the spot. Oh well, at least you're posting.

If you screen shot your photos, you can upload via your phone, or tablet. Or just shoot the car, with your phone, or tablet, . Or just load the photos, from your PC photo file.

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Just upload your photos to the hamb and not a remote host and you won’t ever have a red x issue.

That list is tiny!

I’d stop looking for an afternoon and start looking for 7 minutes. A bite is still a bite and if you get in 7-10 minutes 4 days a week you probably got something done.

I stopped looking for an afternoon and started leaving for work 10 minutes early and work for that ten minutes before I get out the door and I’m amazed at how much I got done the last few months. Months that I found maybe one solid hour in.

You got this man just start chewing

brad2v, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  20. Don't give up hope Scott! I know sometimes it seems like it will never get done but try and find some things that don't take a lot of time and when you can whittle out a few minutes here and there do those things so you at least feel like you are moving forward. You can do it!

21. flyin-t

flyin-t

Congratulations on the 2nd baby!!!

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WHEW! I think I got those pictures fixed. Hadn't used the new format for posting to the HAMB. Just always used a host. That worked pretty good! Hopefully you guys can see the pics, also.

Yep! Little bit at a time is better than not a little bit anytime at all!

WORD! Thanks man!

THANK YOU! Soooo much harder having two than I imagined it would be! Yikes! I know it will get easier as we get through these early months.

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yup photos work now :)

First step is taking the first step.

That’s what I keep telling myself anyways

24. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let's make that appointment to grab a cuppa and discuss the "E" word before it gets too wintery.

Uncle vic

25. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YES! I would like that! I'm definitely going to take you up on the "E" word!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  26. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'd say, "You got this!" but I'm terrible about getting my shop projects done, too, so I'd be a hypocrite in posting that. :rolleyes::D

It's one of those things where there'll never be time if you don't carve out the time. I'm going to take a few hours a week to get my OT shop project done. My list is like yours, everything is do-able... easy even.

27. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Going back and reading some of the old threads and posts related to this build has helped remind me of where I've been. The "Progress In Review" thread helped:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...y-race-to-the-road-progress-in-review.437990/

However, I'm super bummed that much of the documentation I spent an equal amount of time on has been destroyed by PhotoBucket and there's just too many pictures grey'd out to repair. It would take less time to finish the car than it would to fix all the pictures that are screwed up. Efforts are better spent building cool stuff. One day I'll add a progression of pictures from this build to this thread, or something.

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah fuck worrying about the photos worry about the car.

~said as I’m honing steering box bushing at work while other people are taking a smoke break lol

Hansa1100, Stogy, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  29. WC Durant

WC Durant

Too cool not to make it across the finish line.

Hansa1100, scootermcrad and Stogy like this.
  30. Once I get going I can’t stop. But if I stop, I can’t get going.

Walt
    Outsiders CC

scootermcrad and Thor1 like this.