Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Sleeper or Hot Rod ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exterminator, Oct 9, 2019.

1. exterminator

exterminator

I keep going back and forth on this issue. My 40 as seen in my avatar, I have had for many years. It has now a 400 chevy v-8 with a 4-71 blower. This has been a dream since I was able to build model cars in the late 50s having a blower on my ride. Now the issue. I am enjoying driving the pickup which except the paint color- looks stock or should I go for the flames and louvers which spell out HOT ROD? I like both looks. I will keep this truck until I can't drive anymore, then it goes to a daughter. What is your opinon? Do you have a sleeper? Picture of it? Exterminator IMG_0011.JPG

2. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

That's a nice looking truck no matter which way you go. I personally like flames if they are done right, Just remember that you only have to satisfy one person in this world and that is yourself.

3. I like the color. If you want a different look, consider wheels and tires. Then you can change it back occasionally.

Phil

4. LAROKE

LAROKE

I like the paint on your truck just the way it is. Wish mine looked as good.

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Don't change a thing.

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

No
    Flames. Paint it black.

exterminator, loudbang and Gman0046 like this.
  7. catdad49

catdad49

I Like This! Things to consider: add a little chrome ( bumpers, door handles, hood), old style Nerf bars/bumpers, extra hood punched full of louvers (maybe left in red oxide primer), different belt line color or pin striping along with a wheel color change, and '39 Ford headlights.

8. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Great looking truck! As mentioned above, second hood louvered, an chrome in original places= Perfection imo

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Sleeper all the way.

10. Fordors

Fordors

It’s perfect as is.

11. squirrel

squirrel

chrome bumper and door handles and mirror, aluminum (or black painted?) wheels, lose the cover on the bed, give it some rake....

and that windshield looks like it's a couple inches too tall

WB69, ffr1222k, exterminator and 3 others like this.
  12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'm with pprather, get another set of wheels and tires, Torque Thrusts are my favorite, followed by 5 hole aluminum slots. I'd change to chrome bumpers. Other than that, I wouldn't change it.

WB69, ffr1222k, exterminator and 3 others like this.
  13. Looks good to me, I also agree with the chrome where it needs to be. HRP

14. chrome bumpers, black wheels with no covers and ditch the bed cover.

exterminator and loudbang like this.
  15. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

If you want a sleeper, leave it. If you want a Hot Rod, wheels like Halibrand Sprints. I'd either go with chrome bumpers, or nerfs.

16. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Lots of good ideas here. Can you use Photo Shop on the computer? You can try them all out starting with a photo of what you now have. Another thought to try with Photo Shop is with black fenders and running boards as that was a style of that time. Definitely a plus to add some chrome.
    If you do try Photo Shop post the results that you get.
    Jimmie

17. ken bogren

ken bogren

I like the sleeper hot rod that you have now.

18. Squablow

Squablow

I don't think flames would look right unless you change the whole color of the truck, but I like that color all solid so I'd leave it. Chrome bumpers, maybe black running boards instead of the body color treatment would really help, and maybe some smaller, round side mirror heads instead of those giant 70's looking ones.

I like the bed cover. I could even see matching pleated vinyl running board covers on that truck for a more custom look.

exterminator, loudbang and Tim like this.
  19. Dirk35

Dirk35

I'm on board with all of Squirrel's suggestions. I wouldn't paint flames in it, Id do the following:
    1. Change out the door handles to chrome ones, (Repo stock ones are available cheaper than you could have those fixed).
    2. Change out those mirrors to a more stock looking mirror (unless you need those to tow a trailer). Those look 80's-riffic. Since yours are mounted on the body instead of the original hinge mount, you could get by with just changing the mirror part to a 4" round mirror and keep your mirror arms (so you don't have to mess with the body work).
    3. Change the painted bumpers to a repo-chrome bumper.
    4. To change the look from stock to hot rod, Id change out the wheels to either the Torque Thrust IIs, or Salt Flat Specials, and keep the steel ones so you can change them to change them back and forth as you wish.

Personally, Id keep the bed cover though. I like the thought of protected cargo.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  20. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Kinda hard to be a sleeper when you hear that blower whine isn't it? Hahaha.

21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with the common consensus here...keep the red and add the chrome. I like the "caps & rings" but on the rear, maybe wider, deeper rims and wider, taller meats.
    Also, I think 40 PUs look better with black running boards...it will help get rid of that '90s monochromatic look.;)

22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

With you on that.:)

exterminator likes this.
  23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

OK, so much for conservative "correct" ideas - remove hood, and detail engine bay, dual quads if not on already, deep dropped axle, biggest 15" rear tires possible, short loud mufflers, etc. Be wild and crazy & be fairly easy to put back to how it looks now later

exterminator, catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  24. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure how you could improve it very much , I love it as is! As others have said a little factory chrome (handles , mirrors , bumpers) I would drive the snot out of it if it were mine.....that's just me!

25. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I’ve lost sleep over smaller decisions than that...........good luck

exterminator likes this.
  26. I know the "look" I like..but have no idea what you like.
    Find your "look" and go for it..many ideas on the thread on '40-'41 Ford pickups.
    It has to be something that brings a smile on your face when you open the garage door, or take that second look when walking away from it.

27. 32fenderless

32fenderless

I’ve not seen one comment/recommendation that I don’t agree with. Have fun changing it up.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

28. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER