Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Wanna get the grandkids off the couch?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Ok, so my son and his sweetie brought the kids over to my house to watch the Nebraska football game this afternoon. The kids watched the game for about 12 seconds and hauled out their tablets to play games on.
    At halftime I asked the oldest [10] if he wanted to go for a ride in my coupe...."Yeah, yeah, yeah!" he says so I belted him in and told him to say anything he had to say to me now because we wouldn't be able to talk in the car over the noise. It was a massive overstatement but it really made his eyes bug out. I took him on a 15 minute ride around the neighborhood and nailed it once through 1st,2nd and into 3rd. He was totally blown away!!!
    When they got ready to leave after the game [we won] I saw him in the driveway giving his little brother a guided tour of my coupe like he built it! I think I might have won one over.....
    Tony1.jpg Tony2.jpg

Shadow Creek, Deuces, Stooge and 51 others like this.
  2. He especially liked it when we got back to the house and I "accidentally" had my foot slip off the clutch. 34skidmarks.jpg

Deuces, lurker mick, Joemama and 25 others like this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Way cool. Keep it up:)

Deuces and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  4. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

13-10 NE over Northwestern. Its fun to watch their faces light up when Grandpa puts his foot in it. My granddaughter wanted my OT Sonoma. I ran a 12.8 1/4 mile with it @ 104.78 mph. I had to tell her 'NO' because I told her she would get to school and probably race someone and kick their ass. Pretty soon you will be racing the boys and really embarrass them. Plus you will get a few tickets and probably lose your license. It really made my day when she wanted 'Grandpa's' truck.

5. Sweet story, yeah my grand kids are ate up with this electronic age we are in but to my shock tonite while I was out in the shop working on my 36, my 12 yr old grand son came out because someone else grabbed our spare computer before he could get to it but after a while he started to take interest in what I was doing and got into a rhythm of handing me tools from my box when I needed one and then putting them back when I was done. I have music playing always while I am out there working and before long he was singing. Later he told me, he liked being out there with me and his head felt better than being glued to some tablet or pc. He wanted to get under the car with me to wrench but he had on some nice clothes so I told him he needs some "shop clothes" (old) to work on cars, it was a great night, I hope my grandson is finally hooked on cars now too. I hate all this computer/tablet/cell phone & video game sh1t they stayed glued to now, we were so much better off without all of that crap. IMHO

6. Nothing is better than Grandkids, and HOT RODS ! Sorry I can't help myself. Lol 20190621_052208.jpeg 20190529_111011.jpeg 20190623_184651.jpeg 20190516_150930.jpeg 20190205_135157.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

greaser, Deuces, Chavezk21 and 23 others like this.
  7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Sorry Rock, I think I would of done the same thing. Can`t remember the last time I even watched a football game on TV. Growing up, we didn`t have cable TV for like 7 years. My kids played outside. My grand daughter is 16 months now. My wife has already bought her a toolbox(top and bottom section).

Deuces, OFT, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  8. wicarnut

wicarnut

My grandchildren have grown up in the electronic time frame, all have cell phones, Ipads including a pre teen, all doing very well in school, sports, dancing, various activities, etc. Such different times today IMO. They were not allowed to ride in any of my Hot Rods, too dangerous according to my children, mind you, they all grew up chasing racing, 70's/80's/91 just like I did with my parents, 50's/60's/70's, I raced into my 40's. I'm very Proud of all my 5 kids, all are successful, appear to be happy, none of them followed into the car hobby or interest in racing, (1 son, short time racing, walked away) it was/is very surprising to me, "It Is What It Is". I have given thought, Did they turn out so well because of me OR in spite of me. LOL

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Deuces, Chavezk21, loudbang and 7 others like this.
  9. Pretty sure its because of you.

10. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL! Good on you Rocky! If the sight of a hot rod doesn't get em the noise and acceleration will!

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  11. Like you guys I have had a lot of fun with our granddaughter (Veda) our daughter heard the name Veda Orr years ago and always said if she had a daughter that would be her name.

Veda has been around hot rods ever since she was born and took her first ride home in a hot rod.

Picture005.jpg

VEDAANDTRUCKPHOTOS010.jpg

109_0562.jpg

20170814_142015(1).jpg

[​IMG]

Veda's transportation for the next few years is one of her skateboards. HRP

48498661157_6a82ac35f1_b.jpg

Deuces, Stooge, OFT and 15 others like this.
  12. X-cpe

X-cpe

Hell of a conundrum isn't it. Without all that there would be no HAMB.

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Nebraska actually won, you got a ride in the hot rod, AND your grandson was all about it?

Yup you win.

14. Just heard from my daughter and my oldest grandson got accepted to UTI in dallas.
    I know what Grandpa Santa's gonna buy.

wicarnut, Deuces, Chavezk21 and 2 others like this.
  15. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Remember with our generation it was considered rude to be reading in the presence of company or guests. That’s all changed now. Technology is not always progress.

Deuces, loudbang, Frankie47 and 3 others like this.
  16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well my granddaughter is 2.5 and she’s been interested
    In cars since she was about 8 months. Took her to her first car show at 14 months. Restoring her mom’s and uncle’s OT ‘85 battery powered
    Mercedes. People love are more than willing to let a cute girl sit in their cars...

Attached Files:

Deuces, OFT, chryslerfan55 and 7 others like this.
  17. sedantudor

sedantudor

Great to hear Rocky. Not quite at the point where I have any grandchildren but youngest daughter (8) went to a car cruise today and she loves the cars. Always asking all kinds of questions. My middle daughter (16) is usually found in the garage with me when she is not working. Just yesterday the youngest gave me a verbal lashing for not taking her for a ride in the hot rod recently.

18. derbydad276

derbydad276

19. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

good job rocky! this is what i preach all the time! dont worry about the finger prints!! kid the kids in the hot rods! any kids, get them in! spark an interest! somebody has to help the hobby! mite as well be all of us!

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  20. Dads car with his grand daughter.(my daughter)
    022 (2).JPG Same car, now in my care, with my grandson. He's a big fan of Hot Wheels so there's hope for him to be a hot rodder.
    023 (2).JPG

wicarnut, Deuces, rd martin and 4 others like this.
  21. roder1935

roder1935

0914191108.jpg 862.jpeg 0914191108a.jpg Took my grandson to a car show I had to laugh when he asked why there were newer corvettes there. Gotta say people try to treat the young kid special more than one let him sit in there car. The last pic is off topic but look at his smile

wicarnut, Deuces, Chavezk21 and 9 others like this.
  22. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

The picture of your grandson with the salmon is priceless!

23. My goal someday is to be close enough to a grandkid that I can in fact grab one of them and take them for a ride and then they can feel and smell the same stuff as it was done back in the day...my kids I know when they see a old smelly one in their hometown they think of me....so yes....getting a grandkid into something old and smelly I think would be an awesome thing...this is the oldest of the 6 that I have...a little while ago now when she was in town...
    12493700_698693052939_3496565567886530648_o.jpg

MikeC

24. wicarnut, Deuces and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  25. Sorry, here's my youngest... 0617181054b.jpg

Deuces and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  26. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I love letting kids crawl in/out/around my car. But it really makes my day when I've been out in the garage or been driving my Shoebox and my girls tell me I smell like 'old car'....and they like it!

Deuces and uncleandy 65 like this.
  27. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I know I have posted this before but James and I out getting a Christmas tree 5 years ago.

Cliff Ramsdell
    7009BFFB-FEBA-46CA-85B1-84C1801DCE44.jpeg

wicarnut and Deuces like this.
  28. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

This was a fun thread to read. I'm glad to see old car people taking an interest in the younger generation. I have a 3 year old nephew who can't wait to go out back to the garage and crawl into the 34 Chevy and grab the steering wheel. He is starting to learn different part of the car and we will have a little quiz when he is done playing. I think the younger kids would show more interest in the sport if someone would just take a little time to spend with them.

Deuces likes this.
  29. stpaulsdealmaker

stpaulsdealmaker

Now this is a good "post"

Deuces likes this.