Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects how to get 250 horses

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ronald DE JONG, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Ronald DE JONG

Ronald DE JONG

hello
    i am new here
    i have a ford customline from 1956
    it has its original 272 y blok 2 barrel
    in slow configuration
    the hole car needs to get rebuild
    so in the mean time that i am doing that
    i was wondering
    the engine came from the factory whit 162 wild horses
    so after 63 years later after many years of standing still i a field
    it probely has 120 little pony,s hat are not motivated to run verry hard
    last saterday i brought it back to life for the first time in 25 years
    but to my big suprise it run damm nice

so here come,s my qwestion
    its going to be my daily driver
    so i do not want a gas sucking fire spitting engine
    wath i am looking for is arround 250 horses
    with a good amount of torqeu
    and it needs to be a daily
    the hole y block thing is new to me
    so i can sure use some input or idea,s
    what would be a good setup
    whitout breaking the bank

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Start by being absolutely sure your vacuum advance is working properly. If you don’t understand how to do that ask here on this thread.
    Otherwise let’s just get it running as good as possible.
    Tune up.
    Carb adjustment/ rebuild, plugs, plug wires, and points would all be a good beginning.

mctim64 and dana barlow like this.
  3. Ronald DE JONG

Ronald DE JONG

i was planning to take the engine out
    and replace al the gaskets ( and offcourse spark plugs waterpump and all that i come across )
    so while I do that
    i was hoping for some advice
    on how to get a little more out of this little y

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Have you done a compression test on the engine?
    That will tell you volumes on what exactly your getting into.

flatford39 likes this.

5. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

Install an sbc? I kid, i kid.

Boden and karl share like this.
  6. RmK57

RmK57

To get another 90 hp over stock is going to cost you much more than a set of gaskets.
    Plan on complete rebuild with aftermarket cam/ lifters, intake manifold, carburetor, exhaust, ignition. It isn't going to be cheap.

loudbang and 32Dan like this.
  7. sbc is the way to go.... i'm not kiddimg

8. Welcome, I used to have a 56 Ford Fairlane, nice cars. There used to be a very good social group on here for 52-59 Fords, I imagine it is still active. It would be a good place to hang out for info.

loudbang likes this.
  9. RmK57

RmK57

Then having to leave the hood closed and apologie every time you do open it?
    Not worth it in my opinion.

10. just giving him what he asked for. 250 horses, daily driver, decent torque and cheap. why should he apologize for that?

11. I love Ys but those desired numbers are gonna be tough without a complete rebuild with improved stuff. Cam, intake, head work, ignition upgrades and exhaust.

ratamahata likes this.
  12. loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A buddy of mine just added a Paxton supercharger to an anemic 260 V8 in his 64 1/2 OT, it woke it right up. Why keep the hood closed?

loudbang and Lowbuckbuilder like this.
  14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Listen to the above posts and let me add, take your oil pump off , inspect, clean or replace as needed. Personally, I would throw in a new one.

15. For about 5K you can get a new from Ford 5.8 (351w) with a waranty. Stock they are about 250 H.P. then add an AOD and your getting 20 mpg and you can dress the top any way you want. No reason not to open the Hood and be proud of it. I can tell you if your Block needs to be board and the Crank turned your'e going to go through 5K and not even be close to being done.

Frankie47, Hnstray and flatford39 like this.
  16. 62rebel

62rebel

Easy. Once you have it freshened up and running right, tell people it puts out 250hp. Bob's your uncle.

17. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Apologize about having spent 1/2 the money for twice the performance , aren't hot rods about being faster than the other guy ???

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Step one:
    Build big inch small block Chevy.
    Step two:
    Install big inch small block Chevy in your Ford.
    Step three:
    Disconnect six plug wires.
    Voila, 250 horsepower.
    :D

partsdawg, G-son, Deuced Up! and 2 others like this.
  19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Come on guys, the goal here is substantially less than 1 hp per cu in. This is not a huge undertaking. Yes, the engine should be freshened up after sitting for many years, but depending on the condition of the engine that could entail just fresh rings and running a hone in the bores, and some fresh bearings, the heads freshened up (again depending on the condition that may be just lapping the valves, test the springs & replace those that fail, clean up the ports and match to the gaskets). Or, it might require re-bore and fresh pistons, seats re-ground, etc. None of know what it needs from what has been posted. And yes, and intake/carb and cam and exhaust, and 250 hp is not a huge reach at all.

20. Old wolf and MIKE STEWART like this.
  21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ronald.. It's going to take a bit but possible. Ted Eaton of Eaton Balencing has website with much of what is needed. Your 272 is a good block and can be bored to the 292 spec. Your heads are too small and 57's with a 1.94 intake will help. 57-up centrifugal distributor is a must. If you don't want headers get 57-up cast iron units, they are bigger. You need the rockers with the 1.53 to 1 ratio..yours are not. Blue Thunder or Mummert in El Cajon Ca. Has a real nice single aluminum 4 barrel manifold that you will need along with a 650 cfm carb. Isky has good cams that are not killer. This may get you to 250.

I have a 296" Y with a 57 dist, dual quads, 57 headers, stock cam, Pertronics ignition, and would be ecstatic if I was making 225 hp. I have a 3-speed Cruise-O-Matic and a rear with 2.74 gears and can put the speedo on 100 on a clear freeway with ease. I could do it with the original 3.21's too.
    You should know that 56 NASCAR 312's were 260hp with dual quads.

22. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The point about leaving the hood closed is because different manufacturer's engines in '50s and later cars look, to many people, out of place.

It's different from pre-war cars.

23. 6sally6

6sally6

A SBF/5.0 is the logical answer. What you are attempting is pull a lot of HP from a 60 + year old engine block.
    60 years old!! Think about it. It CAN be done but .......trust me spend your money on a SBF roller motor.
    Wayyyyy EZ'er and Wayyyy cheaper HP in the long run. In 1966(10 years newer than your engine) Ford had a
    HIGH PERFORMANCE engine (289/271 HP)!! Your wanting to build that HP with a smaller engine and 10 year older technology!! Come onnnnnnn!
    6sally6

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  24. OK, let's say you spent the $$$ to get a nice pair of "G" heads ['57,312 heads] and went through them completely, including hardened valve seats for our unleaded fuel. Then high compression forged pistons, [ching ching] a hot rod cam, better 4 barrel or dual 4 barrel intake, headers, etc etc and it dynos out at 250 HP.
    You put it back in the car and it is sluggish at anything below 3000 rpms. You have to slip the clutch to get going because it's so finicky at low RPMs....And your old 3 speed trans lasts about 3 blasts down the onramp.....the little 56 ford rear axle lasts 4 blasts.
    I would do exactly what the guys have said...go with a 5.0 or even a 5.8 ford small block or ride the heat and use a nice 350 chevy. A 260 HP crate chevy is cheap-cheap. Run a modern manual or automatic AOD or GM 700R4. You'll spend a LOT less money and those engines are bolt-in with the right parts.
    Word 55ford4small.JPG

25. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

26. Ha, I was picturing a three speed Ford-O-Matic here, with a stock stall speed converter. I can think of lots of ways to kill the torque on this one.
    You mentioned high compression pistons . Don't forget. This is going to be a daily driver too.;)
    Lots of good advice here, but it probably won't matter any. I think we're all caught up in the middle of a dream sequence. Could be wrong, but I doubt it.:rolleyes:

27. Ronald DE JONG

Ronald DE JONG

a load of information here thats for sure
    but no way that i will put a chevy engine in it
    i am not a chevy hater
    but a 56 with a chevy engine no that will not work for me
    oke so i first need to see what i have to work whit
    then dicide what to do
    i was hoping sombody already did this before

28. CGuidotti

CGuidotti

IMG_0322.JPG

Attached Files:

loudbang, williebill, RmK57 and 3 others like this.
  29. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

30. wvenfield

wvenfield

I would never put a SBC in it either. Would I put a Ford 5.0 liter? Yeah, maybe. One can be picked up fairly cheaply and the HP is easy.