Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical how many exhaust hangers and where to put them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SDS, Oct 8, 2019.

1. SDS

SDS

Cranking away on my 55 F100 pickup... No cab or bed on the frame right now and I'm building the chassis up as a roller complete.
    I'm fabricating the exhaust from mandrel bends that I bought from summit racing.
    The whole system is 2 and 1/2 inch pipe and my mufflers are dynomax super turbo. I'm putting an h style crossover pipe in. The front of the system will bolt directly to block hugger headers. The exhaust is going to exit out the back underneath the relocated gas tank.

How many exhaust hangers do I need and where do I place them?

Thanks in advance!

2. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I usually use 2 per side- the first behind the transmission crossmember and the second one right before the rear bumper. Worked for me until now. If you have got a long bed truck probably a third hanger would not harm ...

3. squirrel

squirrel

two or three on each side. Try to space them sort of evenly along the pipes, with the rearmost one as far back as you can get it.

Also, if you can get hangers that are several times stronger than you think they need to be, they might survive :)

I put an H pipe in my truck decades ago, and finally cut it out to make it easier to work on stuff. I really don't see any reason to put one in any kind of traditional car or truck (ie. anything we'd be talking about here). But maybe I'm just old fashioned.

mcsfabrication, Moriarity and Baumi like this.
  4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Also use a type and install style that allows for expansion, the exhaust pipe will expand in length a surprising amount in a heat/cool cycle

flatford39 likes this.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 56 has the typical hangers of it era; but if I had a chassis and no body or bed I would go with the more modern rubber links and pins. There are pins with nice clamps for your tubing and from there you could work on the chassis pins. Set it all on jack stands to get it how you like for clearance and height first.. I'm kinda with Jim on the "H" pipe nice to have if it doesn't interfere with any maintenance. God Luck

6. 55styleliner

55styleliner

2 on each side. One at the back of the muffler and one near the end of the tailpipe. If your mufflers are pretty far forward you my consider another one on the tailpipe ahead of the rear axle.

mastergun1980 and pitman like this.
  7. 6sally6

6sally6

Hangers before muffler....after muffler.....near end of tail pipes. Rubber ones work best.
    I installed and X-pipe in my hot rod and now wish I didn't.
    "They say".....it equalizes exhaust pulses and there's power to be gained by doing so.
    NOW...."They" have said only on high HP racing stuff is there any benefit!
    All I know is.....it calms down the lope (I paid so much for) in my snotty roller camshaft idle!! Grrrrr!!!
    It does help reduce the rocking and twisting an exhaust system endures by tying the pipes together.
    6sally6

pitman likes this.
  8. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

SDS, for sure allow it all to float freely on hangers. Do not mount it stiff or it may transfer a lot of the noise and vibration into the cab. We used to use hangers off of four cylinder Chrysler products, like the K-cars, but anything from newer cars is great. Ford has some good ones on their V-8 older RWD vehicles.

9. pitman

pitman

Jim, I might try an 'H' just to quiet down an otherwise free-flow muffler pair.
    Ended up w/a dual inlet outlet Camaro type which offered similar pulse quieting.

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I made my hangers out of old flathead connecting rods that I cut down and rubber mounted them to the frame using weld in bungs. I used one before the smithy, one after and one on the rear frame rail for the tail pipes per side. No X pipe as they complicate servicing. I don't have a great picture at work but here is an exploded view for no reason at all.
    upload_2019-10-8_15-29-40.png

Moriarity likes this.
  11. SDS

SDS

I've built the engine for this to be very torquey and heard the same thing about X pipes...the same article I heard that the h pipe will help with low end torque.

12. SDS

SDS

13. SDS

SDS

I have 6 hangers, they are the type with a bracket that holds a square rubber bushing...the bracket has a hole in it to mount it to the frame. There's a 1/4" steel rod that has a hook through the bushing...you bend the rod around the pipe and weld it to it.

14. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I used 3 on each side. the 1st is at the back of the muffler, the second at the kick up over the axle and the last about 10" from the tip. Full exhaust that dumps before the rear bumper.

15. SDS

SDS

Beautiful car, but I'm not getting that elaborate with this. I do like the idea though

16. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Mine dumps in front of the back tires. One hanger at the end of the tailhousing and another on the inside edge of the frame rail where the pipe passes under. Very stiff.
    SPark

exh26.jpg exh27.jpg exh28.jpg

pitman and Just Gary like this.
  17. How big is the gap between the frame rails & the pipes?
    Are you concerned with damaging the frame paint by heat from the exhaust? :confused:
    I'm asking for a friend.;)
    BTW, your coupe is beautiful.

18. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Pipe is at it's coldest point right where it goes under the frame at the ooutlet, that's also the closest point. It's about 3/4" below the frame rail. Where it crosses over and under the crossmembers it's closer to 1-1.5". We'll see about burning paint, it's only run a few minutes so far.

Thanks for the compliment.

SPark

Just Gary likes this.
  19. e015475

e015475
    from Phoenix
    1. A-D Truckers

The rubber hangers in the steel box tube are called 'southern' style hangers - why I don't know, but you can buy them pretty reasonable on flea bay. The metal rod has about a 10" tail and I heat it with a torch and bend it around the exhaust pipe and put a couple of inches of weld on it.
    [​IMG]
    Tips are just a stainless mandrel bend slit on the bandsaw and welded to the mild steel mandrel bends with nickle rod.
    [​IMG]
    Dump is out the back.
    [​IMG]

20. SDS

SDS

That's essentially what I've got going on... And you are seem to be an ideal example. Nice!

21. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I do several exhaust jobs a week, Use at least 4 hangers on a fully welded system 6 if the system is really long. An x-pipe or h-pipe will hold both sides together and make the system easier to hang ( its essentially one piece then ) also don't use the rubber strap type hangers, use the rubber block - 3/8 round rod welded to pipe style . I've NEVER had that style fail , even on off road stuff . This hanger gives enough movement bit isn't sloppy

Sent from my SM-A600A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Just Gary likes this.