Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Seating arrangments

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by donno, Oct 8, 2019.

1. donno

donno

Getting ready to rip the ragged interior out of my 48 Merc coupe, would like to use bucket seats. Any one have suggestions on what fits easily? Thanks in advance.

2. Depends on what style you are thinking about- anything will likely have to have mounts fabbed up. The high back seats ( think 70’s Camaro) in my opinion don’t look right in an early car- low backs or something with a low headrest have a better style- 60’s t-bird seats front and back look very good in a 40’s car with the wrap around rear and centre console

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

scotty t and Atwater Mike like this.
  3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I have a pair of seats on here for sale that would be perfect for your build...

4. Find a vehicle that you like to drive and are very comfortable in. Take measurements from the dash, floor and pedals and steering column. Use those dimensions to find a seat that will duplicate that position. That will give you a good starting point.

5. jim snow

jim snow

My 41 ford coupe has seats from a late 80’s Pontiac Grand Am 2 door. They have manual adjustment and are very comfy. Snowman

6. I've got 65 thunderbird front and rear in my 46 coupe. Fit well and comfortable

7. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I agree with Asphalt Angels comment about high back buckets looking out of place transplanted in a hot rod. I have 80s style GM high back buckets in a 37 Chevy sedan and I would rather have something low back that matched the back seat height. It looks better in the older sedans if you can look through them without the seats coming up above the bottom of the door glass. Low back Corvair buckets look good.

Asphalt Angel likes this.
  8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

High back bucket seats make me think of what Jim Street did to Norm's 'Kookie Kar'...

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't have your honey cuddled up next to you with buckets like you can with a bench.
    On buckets you just have to go out and look and see what you like. Evidently you aren't planning on taking it to the upholstery shop or the ragged seat wouldn't mean much.
    I'd say that most of the others will agree NO HIGHBACKS!! those are ugly even in the cars they came in.
    Throw in that the lean back should not taper and be as wide at the top as it is at the cushion.
    For that car I wouldn't pass up looking in two door SUVs like Broncos or some of the offshore stuff. Their seats may sit at a level more fitted to the 48 than some late model car seats unless you are after that eyes peeking over the door sill look.

nochop likes this.
  10. donno

donno

Thanks for all the responses guy's. Local rodder is changing the interior of his 53 Ford p/u and I got his seats and mounts, think I'm good to go.

jim snow likes this.