Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is this tool and purpose?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by camcrusher, Oct 8, 2019.

1. camcrusher

camcrusher
    from Candor, NY

Can anyone identify what this tool is and IMG_20191008_181345008.jpg IMG_20191008_181337908.jpg used for? When you turn the handle the shaft goes back and forth and there's a clicking sound inside the housing.

2. This is a valve grinding tool for refacing Model T valves! Use with valve grinding compound...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biggeorge and deathrowdave like this.
  3. camcrusher

camcrusher
    from Candor, NY

Really! That would make sense since it came with a bunch of old valve spring compression tools and other model a parts. Thank you for letting me know.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. flatout51

flatout51

Valve lapping tool. Used with lapping compound to make valves mate better with the valve seat.

Sent from my SM-G977U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

biggeorge, Boneyard51 and lurker mick like this.

5. My pleasure, should have had either an end that looked like a two prong fork to fit two indents in the top of the valve or a suction cup to be a little more universal!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  6. camcrusher

camcrusher
    from Candor, NY

Unfortunately I didn't see any in the box that they were sitting in. Still a cool peice of model T & A history.

7. Absolutely, not rare or highly valuable, just neat display stuff. We use purpose made formed valve grinding g sticks now, rub between your hands like starting a fire with a stick, they now have two sizes of suction cups on either end!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  8. [​IMG]

Boneyard51 likes this.
  9. camcrusher

camcrusher
    from Candor, NY

I did see one of those but my buddy grabbed it before I could.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  10. Garpo

Garpo

Most folks these days would need the instruction book..
    Garpo

VANDENPLAS and biggeorge like this.
  11. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Ha ha , most folks today don’t redo heads they by new . Being a real mechanic is getting to be a lost art .

12. Glen Vassallo

Glen Vassallo

What make is it? I have a Snap On one. Like others have said, it's more of a decoration piece now but still cool!!

13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I still use mine with a suction cup, when I do heads. For me it’s easier that the fire stick method. I do heads/valves different than most folks! He he

Bones

14. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

It is better than a stick! As you turn the crank the suction cup rotates and precesses at the same time. That is to say, it rotates the valve a fixed amount, then back in the other direction but not quite as many degrees, then does it again. That means the valve will gradually spin around on the seat a full 360 degrees over several reversals as the crank is turned. This motion is hard to replicate with the stick and will remove any "waviness" from the valve-to-seat relationship. Mark the shaft and crank it several turns and the mark will gradually rotate through 360 degrees.

15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

^^ Pretty high tech. I still remember getting an old Clinton engine going in Mr. Meins shop class in junior high. He came by my bench one morning with a small green can of Clover lapping compound and the stick with suction cups and taught me how to lap valves.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  16. touring20

touring20

Valve lapping compound is what they also used for engine turning , take a round stick
    Tap it into the compound and chuck it up in your drill press and start working the
    Dash panel .

Truck64 and Boneyard51 like this.
  17. I still use mine !
    I have 2 use them when doing valves on forklift engines.
    I like it better then the suction cup fire starter.

Boneyard51 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.