Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hot Rod Photography in Central Texas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jpeg1971, Sep 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jpeg1971

Jpeg1971
    from Austin TX

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I took these yesterday at a local show using what was available (natural light, location).

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    1947knuck, 40two and loudbang like this.
  2. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

With the exception of the top image, they all have a very snap shot like feel to them. A few things on the bottom image of the '55 Chevy for instance, which apply to some of the others as well. The sky is white and the image is really contrasty. The color is washed out and there are lots of miscellaneous things - overhead wires, open hood, etc. showing. You should be using a polarizing filter to get rid of some of the reflections such as those on the door. This shot, no matter what and no matter who shot it, would probably not end up being anything really great due to the light and environment it was photographed in. The image with the International could be pretty good with the removal of the poles, sign and wire and the tag in the top of the window. Also pushing the saturation a little and darkening the light areas.

Blues4U and Jpeg1971 like this.
  3. Jpeg1971

Jpeg1971
    from Austin TX

Thank you for the helpful feedback! There's a few gems in your comments I really hadn't considered. If you don't mind, as I post more pictures in the coming months I'd appreciate more feedback like this. -Jeff

4. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

I'm glad I could help. I may or may not notice your pictures in coming months because it is awful hard to keep track of what everyone posts. But you can message me and send images that way if your want.

Jpeg1971 likes this.
  5. Jpeg1971

Jpeg1971
    from Austin TX

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

The last time I took my car out, I had one photo of that I really liked, but unfortunately the car was parked in front of a home that was on a very steep street. The angles were very distracting.

DSC_5910-2.jpg

It took quite a bit of time to straighten up that old house. ;) :D

DSC_5910-5.jpg

This is an unusual example. I usually try hard to avoid manipulating photos outside of a little exposure and color correction. As a lot of these pros have said, it can really pay off to wait a moment to get that "just right" composition without a lot of distractions or poor lighting, etc.

loudbang, Jpeg1971 and Jalopy Joker like this.
  7. Ldogg53

Ldogg53

Awesome thread. As a former amateur photographer I really like seeing all the commentary. I learned the trade on film cameras and dark rooms, which is a long way from the digital environment today. Composition was everything. You only had so many shots so you couldn’t waste them. Lines, backgrounds, natural lighting, everything matters. So often I see people today who take a shot and just say “no problem, I can fix it on the computer later” and that drives me nuts. Compose the shot properly and you’ll only need a little tweaking, and sometimes you’ll get it just right the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  8. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Post your photos on the Friday Art Show. You'll get exposure there.

Jpeg1971 and loudbang like this.