Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods No spark on motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Oct 8, 2019.

1. I have no spark on a motor I am working on. I have new points, cond, new coil and new Ballast rest. and still no spark and no start.Any ideas?Thanks.

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Type of engine?
    Ran before parts change?
    Battery condition?

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Time for the test light. Find out where the fire ends.

4. BJR

BJR

First see if you have power to the coil. Or run a jumper from battery + to the coil and see if it starts. If it does you know to look backwards from coil. With the cap off does the rotor turn when cranking?

Elcohaulic and Bruce Fischer like this.

5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Bruce, shirley you know by now all about the raft of defective el-cheapo condensers that plague our shores?

sunbeam, 302GMC and Bruce Fischer like this.
  6. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Rotor sitting on your bench? I've done that before.

7. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Don't call Bruce Shirley!

8. Me too.

Ben

9. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I don't know Bruce Shirley but I see him on the HAMB.

catdad49, Bruce Fischer and Truck64 like this.
  10. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What he says

11. I heard that. HRP

catdad49 and Bruce Fischer like this.
  12. BJRI have power to the coil, I tried jumper wire from the battery to the coil, and still nuttin.Yes the rotor turns.Thanks Bruce.

13. Petejoe v-8 motor, it did run before changing parts but then quit.Brand new battery.Thanks Bruce.

14. F-One have power to the coil and have power at the points with the key turned on.Thanks Bruce.

15. Truck yes I know that, that's why I really didn't want to change it.I still have the old one.Thanks Bruce.

16. greybeard360

greybeard360

V8..... That narrows it down a bit.

Vague info requires vague answers.

Your sparker is broke. Simple as that.

17. J.A LOL.I made sure the rotor was on .Thanks Bruce.

Truck64 likes this.
  18. 3wJohn, call me anything you want just help get it running.LOL.Bruce.

19. Ahhh Danny, I am at that age I don't give a crap any more.JUST KIDDING.LOL.Bruce.

Truck64 likes this.
  20. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When you check for power at the points/distributor, that power should turn off and on when you crank over the engine, as the points switch the coil to ground. If that power does not go away intermittently when you crank the motor over, your points are not doing what they are supposed to. One cause of this can be a broken ground wire from the distributor body to the plate the points are mounted on. Of course misadjusted points or points with bad contacts would also be suspect if the power does not fluctuate.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  21. The power to the coil remains constant, it’s the negative side of the coil that breaks it’s circuit with the points opening. Hence breaker points :).
    Depending on where and how you attach the test light will determine the results

22. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

is there power to the coil *when the ignition switch is cranking* ?

23. Mimilan

Mimilan

At least Bruce and Shirley aren't complaining about "No Spark in their special relationship" [That can be costly]

Try the old condenser , We had 2 faulty condensers in a row on my old Chevy. We ended up using a 2nd hand Chevy unit.

24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yes

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  25. BJR

BJR

Bruce have you checked for power when the engine is cranking? It goes through a different circuit when cranking than when running. Of coarse you said you jumped power from the battery to the coil and still got no spark. Try a different condenser.

26. Up date on the 318 motor. A guy at work said try taking some fine sandpaper and rub it between the points. He said some of the new one are coated with a slight film to keep them from rusting while on the shelf. I did that and put them back in and cranked it over, DAMN there was a spark at the points now!. I put the cap back on and fired it up.It ran but sounds like the last guy didnt get the spark plug wires on right. I have to find a picture of the firing order for the dist cap for the wires and it should run better. Thanks to you all for your help. Bruce.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  27. BJR

BJR

Small Chrysler

273, 318, 340, 360 A Engines

Firing Order

[​IMG]

Cylinder Numbering

[​IMG]
    Distributor Rotation

[​IMG]

28. sunbeam

sunbeam

I remembered the rotation being clock wise so I checked a motors manual and several web sites they all listed clockwise except the one JBR posted Big block Mopars are counter clockwise. On the years you have Number one was straight to the front but it could have been reinstalled anywhere.