Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Iron Invasion Woodstock Illinois

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatford39, Oct 6, 2019.

1. flatford39

flatford39

Anyone go to the Invasion yesterday??? I have been going for the last five years but the change to a 10:00AM spectator entrance time deep sixed it for me. I like to get there early and leave around 10:00 10:30.

How hard did they enforce this new rule that kept me from coming.

silent rick likes this.
  2. A Boner

A Boner

Lots of the people with cameras stayed home!

flatford39 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

4. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

5. They didn't let cars in until 10:00 either. we were lined up like the PileUp. I think this venue has run it's course, I hope John can find another location.
    Seemed light in the car count department but it's close enough I still go.

flatford39 likes this.
  6. cmarcus

cmarcus

I was a little frustrated at first as well, as I also liked to get there first thing at like 7 like prior years. John's claim was to "encourage group cruises to the event". He made a couple last minute groups on FB to get people together with different routes, I was with the "Southern Invasion" cruise but was only 12 cars. Not worth the push back in my opinio - and the cruise routes were created last minute. Also, I find it interesting/weird that there was a lack of feature cars/buildings and many barns were closed up, which I always enjoyed seeing. But as far as cars go, it felt fairly normal (??) But to flt-blk's point, it is still close enough that it was worth the drive (and a mostly beautiful day, which isn't always the case).

flatford39 likes this.
  7. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There were less barns open this year because the fairground got greedy and demanded extra money for barns that were always included in the lease price before this year. There was also a flood in one of the vendor barns last year that ruined some of the vendors' products. The fairground said "sorry, not our problem" and John had to eat the cost to replace the product.

8. cmarcus

cmarcus

Damn, that sucks. Maybe it is time for a new venue. That is REAL unfortunate.

9. DaveK87

DaveK87
    from Illinois

We got there about 12. I think we were the last cars to arrive, parked in the big field where the kid was driving his go cart like a maniac, almost lost my mind how close he got to cars and then people. I was in a black 32 5w and my father in law in a mint green 54 bel air

flatford39 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. Hellfish

Hellfish

Seriously?! You skipped going to a great show because you couldn't power park? A 10am start gives everyone an opportunity to have a leisurely start to the day, let's the dew burn off a little, gives vendors a chance to set up, etc. An earlier start would have also caused earlier setup and greater entrance fees, plus a lot of chaos.

Max Gearhead and tractorguy like this.
  11. flatford39

flatford39

Had nothing to do with power parking asshole. Some of us have different schedules than others. If I can't get into a show at 7 or 8AM than I am going to have to always pass. Every other show I attend seems to handle the "chaos" of starting early without any problem.

12. I was getting pretty annoyed at that kid too, I don't mind the mini bikes and things like that on the fringes or out in the open field, but to be driving it down the walking aisles and through the swap was pretty annoying. At least I didn't hear about him hitting anyone or thing.

flatford39 likes this.
  13. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

He came close to hitting a couple people a few times.
    I understand the late start was the best way John had to work around the fairgrounds issues and we adjusted. I got in line a little after 8 (it was either that or sit in the hotel room) It was like the old days at the pileup. We just stood around and bull-crapped for a couple hours and checked out cars. Always a good show and hopefully it will continue on either there or somewhere else.

14. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Iron Invasion, Vintage Torque Fest, and Retro Rewind Dubuque have all changed over the years. Some people like it - some don't. We understand. That's why the world is ready for YOU to start your own show. Make a show that only allows cars featured in the little pages from back in the day. Make a show that only allows bias plys. Make a show that only allows those that drive from 50 miles away. Believe it or not - these have ALL been actual concepts for shows. How successful would they be? We may never know.

Ultimately, Iron Invasion has to change due to the fact that we lost $8000 in 2018. We lost a bit of money in 2017. We broke even in 2015, 2016. These shows are intended to be fund raisers - not fund losers. You all understand that we give all the gate money to kids with heart problems right? But before we give the family $$$, we have to pay for the security ($40 an hour and a minimum of 3 on duty at all times - more during peak hours), port a potties, insurance, advertising, golf cart rental (and sometimes damage) winning $$ for mini bike races, pin up girls, bands, hotels for guests and certain volunteers, and yes - the grounds are very proud of their property.

It should be noted that my wife and I are NOT paid. We only make money off the shirt sales. Average it out and we are putting in hundreds of hours for about $2 an hour. (Seriously - my wife figured it up last year) So - when people complain about the show- I take it personally. How can I not? I listen to every suggestion that is given. And we all try to come up with solutions to the problems that are presented. Ultimately - we are trying to help kids with heart problems. That is the cause behind all this. I KNOW we could achieve this in a much easier way, but we really enjoy those who show up to our events and we really love the fact that relationships have been started because of our shows..... Marriage proposals - even had a marriage at our show once. Families bringing their kids out to their first car show at our show. If you are only interested in the cars..........man.......I feel sorry for you. Because our shows are so much more than that, if you let them. If you choose to not make new friends, meet new people, and appreciate the common cause of the gathering - then maybe our show is not for you. As for me - I will continue to try and put together the best event I can with the limited resources I have. And for those that want to actually find out WHY we do certain thing instead of just bitching about the problems without offering solutions - my direct email is [email protected] I am pretty easy to get in touch with. PS - changes WILL be made next year so we hope you will give us another chance.....if not - thanks for your support in the past. And if you are really down with the cause, www.helpinghannahsheart.org

15. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Volunteers were allowed in at 6am. Perhaps if you volunteered you would have enjoyed the show more by getting in early?

continentaljohn, 36cab and flatford39 like this.
  16. flatford39

flatford39

Now that I could possibly go for. I just need to leave by 10, 10:30.

17. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

actually - we were WAY up from last year - only had around 400 cars last year. 550 this year

continentaljohn, stanlow69 and 36cab like this.
  18. cmarcus

cmarcus

I sure thought so.

And it was certainly no slight to you, John, about the later start, just a personal preference. It just felt a little last minute and up to the masses to figure out the cruise(s). Personally I love to get there early, and maybe volunteering would be an option. I just think in general “the masses” prefer an earlier start. But I’m sure you have good reasoning. As you mentioned, I barely saw a 1/2 of the cars because I made a great new friend at the show, and saw old faces I only see here, and that’s what it is all about!!

19. ...I had a great time at this year's show, I got in at 5 AM because I'm a volunteer,...a few Tin Butchers club members and myself have volunteered at both of John's shows almost from the beginning;...and will continue to do so. Some of you mite give that a thot,...we feel priviledged to be able to be a part of these shows.

...with all the fairgrounds problems induced this year, I think things went very smoothly.
    I saw a lot of different cars there this year.
    I'm so glad the rain held off as long as it did; drove thru some serious rain on my 2 hour drive home.
    ...I hope the future for this show looks better....John & his wife Kim don't get the thanks they deserve for all their efforts.

20. Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  21. A Boner

A Boner

Thanks! Thanks!

Hamtown Al likes this.
  22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Yea! - pics - Thanks

23. ...more stuff...
    2019 iron invasion 004.jpg 2019 iron invasion 064.jpg 2019 iron invasion 065.jpg 2019 iron invasion 070.jpg 2019 iron invasion 071.jpg 2019 iron invasion 075.jpg 2019 iron invasion 077.jpg 2019 iron invasion 051.jpg 2019 iron invasion 044.jpg 2019 iron invasion 079.jpg 2019 iron invasion 093.jpg 2019 iron invasion 097.jpg 2019 iron invasion 110.jpg 2019 iron invasion 116.jpg 2019 iron invasion 129.jpg 2019 iron invasion 108.jpg 2019 iron invasion 109.jpg 2019 iron invasion 141.jpg 2019 iron invasion 157.jpg 2019 iron invasion 160.jpg 2019 iron invasion 159.jpg 2019 iron invasion 163.jpg

24. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Thanks for sharing your photos, great stuff.:D

continentaljohn likes this.
  25. It wasn't really mentioned but the reasoning for the later start was so that the swap meet vendors had time to set up their spaces without spectators interrupting them and stressing them out. Typically they can set up on Friday so they are ready to go Saturday morning. But the Fairgrounds wanted to charge John more for that. So he had to have swap meet set up on Saturday morning. As for the buildings, again, the fairgrounds wanted more money for more building usage where in the past it was included. So for the 3 additional buildings that Invasion would use in the past, would have been THOUSANDS of dollars for the weekend.

It sounds like the people running the fairgrounds are getting greedy. I hope that John is able to find a different venue for future shows so that it can be more profitable and allow the show to grow more. But I really also hope it stays in the general vicinity. Boone County Fairgrounds is large, but they don't have any enclosed buildings. Except for Scrap Drive, there really is no other big Traditional Rod and Kustom show in Northern Illinois

rusty1 and continentaljohn like this.
  26. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

We had a great time as always at the iron invasion . I have to thank John and his wife also all the volunteers for all the time they put to put on the show.
    It’s easy to sit on the sidelines but as most show volunteers make it happen . By volunteering you get to understand why its not that easy of a task to put on a show.

59bones and HotRodRyan like this.
  27. And does anybody know the owner of this car? My dad owned it 34 years ago.

1005191301_HDR.jpg

That's me as a baby:

IMG_20191006_155440_460.jpg

28. cmarcus

cmarcus

Thanks for a little more clarification, I think more people were just curious as to the change. You know me, man - I am always ready to be up and at 'em as early as possible. Agreed. I hope he can find a venue that won't charge an arm and a leg, and will be willing to work with John. Fingers crossed it can only get better from here. The fact that more cars showed up this year shows that more people are wanting to support!!

29. von zipper

von zipper

Maybe Boone county grounds would be the place to go!