Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Does your hot rod or custom have any leaks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 7, 2019.

1. 2935ford

2935ford

Thanks. My pan is aftermarket and I am suspect of it at this point. You're right, OEM is the way to go.

2. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Yep I've got one...…...Started a thread on here about a leak on a 383 sbc and got a lot of good advice on how to locate and fix it. Hoping to do it this winter...………...

3W JOHN, Stogy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your's and My Pan were probably one apart on the assembly line...:D and I have a Matching Tranny Pan that's always challenging the other...

All the drippage aside it really doesn't need a lot of topping up...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

5. 1953naegle

1953naegle

Old Slip-n-slide Powerglide of mine always has a puddle under it. I've been needing to fix a buggered thread on the tranny cooler and that would probably fix half of it. Redoing the seals in my rearend and torq tube would likely help too. Somewhere I read an article about rebuilding the Powerglide and making a few improvements to it that latter versions had (most seemed to be along the lines of adding vent plugs and carving grooves between parts to improve ventilation between the different compartments inside the case).

I havn't had a lot of issue with the 235, but mabey the transmission fluid on the ground masks it's occasional drip....

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and Stogy like this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Y-Block rear mains are hard to stop. Trans fill tube is one I can't seen to stop from weeping. PS control valve, slave, and pump not a drop.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and Stogy like this.
  7. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

It's either from not properly machined parts or tweaked tin.
    Gaskets are only as good as the two mating surfaces it sits between.

I spent over a day fitting the oil pan to the bare block of my 302. Put the pan on, it wobbled, tweaked it til it didn't, then spent half the day tweaking the pan rail to fit the block so it all mated flat.
    Even had a few bolts fall out from the front cover, still has not leaked.
    Spent another day on the valve covers.
    Key is fixing the pooches/divots from over-tightened nuts/bolts on the sealing rail.
    20 years later and the oil pan is still dry. Everyone thinks it's a recent rebuild since it doesn't leak.

Gen II Olds V8s as well, doesn't matter if the VC is held on by 10 or 5 bolts. If the cover or rail is tweaked and doesn't sit square and flat on the head, it'll leak.

Same with Saginaw PS pump tin. Just gotta make sure before installing the big O ring on the pump that the spam can is square to the pump. Dunno how/why but people seem to yank the hell out of the housings. And always replace the shaft bushing if you have it apart. Otherwise that front seal will be weeping in 15Kmiles.

I've spent more time on fixing engine tin than I have on engine bearings or piston rings.

Something I've only recently learned is to use an anaerobic sealant on axle pinion shaft to yoke mating surface, pinion nut threads, and on the seal to diff housing to prevent that oily leak on the front of differentials(open drive line). Always thought it was from a crappy seal, loose garter spring, or boogered up axle vent.
    Nope.
    It's simply that thick gear oil when it gets hot enough can wick up the splines and get through the minute of surface imperfections.
    Those cars are just like Fiats, sheetmetal comes pre-salted.

8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

The 32 is almost leak free , it has a few places where , road dirt will collect on a weep. The Harley , well the cases have never been split , and heads never off , chain Oiler is turned off but the breather will drip a few drops after a long ride . The Power Wagon with the Cummins has a slobber tube “ crankcase breather “ that drips everywhere it sits . Nothing to be concerned about just the nature of the beast . I just drove it 75 miles one way to purchase a new set of tool boxes . I filled to brim with fuel before leaving , I refilled to the brim on return , calculated the fuel mileage , 150.1 miles , 4.4 gallons of fuel equals 34.1 MPG , I suppose if I’m thinking clearly . Pretty tuff to beat that in a 7000 lb hunk steel . I must be messed up in my way of thinking , there can not anyway that thing is getting 34 MPG . But still if it is getting 25 , that’s damn good and the fun factor is off the chart for a oil leakin , black smokin , rattlin , daily driver .

9. My y-block has never been gone through and I have really never tried to find where all the leaks are, but I have also never been as greasy changing plugs and wires as I have working on it. However, that is nothing compared to how bad the Fordomatic behind it leaks. I'm not sure it could actually still be called a leak, but more of a pour at this point. Good thing it is time for a transmission rebuild. :(

10. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

Put sign this in your shop. graffiti-plus-street-art-from-the-murder-city.jpg

11. I need to have "Exxon Valdez" lettered on my car. I have a pesky leak I'm running down. It may be the aftermarket Allstar filter adapter which someone said takes a Ford filter. I got a new GM piece and Delco filter to swap in soon. Minor leak at the timing cover, should have re-used the OG one. Minor at the pan, this is a re-pop Chevy II pan that I had to fix the corners on (silver soldered cracks) in a couple of places, but the flange is true. IF I go to power steering and can get some help, I'll yank the engine and re-seal the whole thing.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Does your hot rod or custom have any leaks?

Is the Pope Polish?

klawockvet and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I run early Ford drive trains and if they aren't leaking you need to check the fluid level. I've rebuilt them and replaced the gaskets but develop a leak sooner or later.

14. I know my old Panhead never leaked, it just marked it's spot where ever I parked it. :cool: HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  15. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

SouthBeachArtDeco1amfog.jpg Didn't have a top for a long time,that was a bad leak. Now I have a folding top,but no side curtains,so turning a corner in the rain with no fenders puts a fire hose of water in side window hole=leak. Then there is driver is getting older an leaks more too,hopefully not in car. Sunny days have no leaks.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Driver50x, Shutter Speed and 3W JOHN like this.
  16. Dana, I remember the soaking I took in my highboy in the rain, turn left and that front tire through water right in you face. HRP

3W JOHN and dana barlow like this.
  17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

1008190751a_HDR.jpg That reminds me, time to rotate the plywood

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine leaks from the fitting on the fill tube. I’ve played with the mating surfaces a lot to no avail. It is very minor. It’s a Cruise-O now. The engine rear seal is not a problem but how the spacer and pan fit. I did not do the engine; if I had there would have been more time spent. A PVC system may help but I don’t feel like removing the intake and Carbs to do it. I have the correct valley cover.

19. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

It’s not leaking oil, it’s sweating power!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Retrorod

Retrorod

The roadster 8BA leaks from the front seal a little bit, the sedan 9" rear has an axle seal leak on the right side...again for the third time in 16 years. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that one, maybe I'll put one of those NSK kit bearing & seal assemblies on it.

21. Not too long ago I was helping a friend install a rebuilt sbc in his sedan and when it came time to add the oil I started pouring it in and when I backed up to get another quart of oil I noticed I was standing in a ever increasing puddle of oil!

Of all the stupid things I have done and witnessed in my life, I have never heard of a engine being rebuilt and the oil pan drain plug was MIA, it was going straight through.

Two quarts of oil can make one heck of a mess. HRP

3W JOHN and dana barlow like this.
  22. My flathead drips a few drops of oil a week on the garage floor... its from the drain plug... at the next oil change i will tray a different crush washer and maybe try dressing the mating surfaces again...
    most recently i have developed some coolant leak... sprays a bit on the drivers side fender/top of frame rail area, damned if i can find where its coming from. pumps are dry around the seals, hoses are tight and dry and it doesn't drip when its setting... its coming from somewhere in the lower left corner of the Rad but there is no staining and no one spot is "wetter" in that area...
    chappy

23. Like a Chinese submarine.

24. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Let’s see,roof, windows, windshield, doors, oil pan, valve covers,.......oh yeah, the driver (just a little)

lucky ink, 56shoebox, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  25. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My experience has been that if there are NO leaks anywhere, you're most likely out of oil & coolant .

If there's no annoying noises, you probably forgot your wife.

26. If it leaks it probably won't rust ~ HRP

3W JOHN and 1953naegle like this.
  27. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

From the time I was 16 my T leaked oil, it still leaks to this day and will be leaking until it all runs out.

mad mikey and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Years ago I shared an office with a state automotive inspector. One of the departments he provided support for was the California Department of Forestry. One day he got a call from a station in the local mountains about a pumper truck leaking oil. He asked how much of a leak it was and the engineer said it leaked about a quart of oil per week.He wasn't all that excited about driving from San Bernardino all the way up the hill but the leak sounded serious. When he got there there were a few drops of oil on the otherwise impeccably clean garage floor. Vern took a quart can of oil (tells you how long ago this was since oil was still in cans) and cut the top off with his Buck knife and proceeded to dump it in the middle of the garage floor. He said that's what a quart of oil leak looks like and to call him again when it got that bad.

29. primed34

primed34

I used yellow 3M on the gaskets on a 327 in my '55. Didn't leak a drop until it blew a quarter size hole in the oil pan.