Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Late 30's Ford Driver's Door Lock...What have you done?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anothercarguy, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Just wondering what or how some of you might have solved installing a driver's side door lock on a mid to late 30's Ford. Maybe even some pictures if you have them ('cause we all like pictures!). I'm not interested in "bearclaw" style latches as I've had some less than stellar experiences with them.

I can always lock from the inside and use the passenger side key to open, but that's less than perfect (we did this on our '36 Ford sedan for years).

Thanks for reading.

2. I bought another passenger side handle with the key lock and installed it on the driver's side. Not quite that simple as it must be mounted upside down which nexessitates a little careful filing to make it fit.

kidcampbell71 and anothercarguy like this.
  3. Depending on model, there are handles available for drivers and passenger side that have lock cylinders in them. They are a reproduction, but style is the same.

Tim and anothercarguy like this.
  4. From Mac's, and other 64-14933.jpg places.

anothercarguy likes this.

5. It seems the handles above are for earlier cars but they might still work. The styling would be a bit off.

How about for a '38 or later style (working on a 38 cabriolet...I'll amend title to late 30's). On the 38 passenger door, the lock cylinder is separate from the handle

6. goldmountain

goldmountain

See if your driver's side door latch has the locking mechanism. If it does, get another lock cylinder and carefully poke a hole in your door for it. I managed to find a rare LH door for my T coupe that had a door lock and grafted that part of the door skin into my door. My repro door latch had the locking mechanism so chances are, so does yours.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Andy

Andy

It would be a big enginnering job to add a left hand lock. The locks fit in a recepticale welded to the inside edge of the door. You would need the hole in the skin plus the door edge. The latch mechanism is not made to accept a lock. I don't know how you would add the lever and parts to the mechanism. A lot of precise metalwork would be required. I sure would not attempt it.

8. goldmountain

goldmountain

9. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

Bob Drake makes a kit for that. If it's in stock or not is another question.

anothercarguy likes this.