Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Oldsmobile crank pilot bushing struggle

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by spacecowboy81, Oct 6, 2019.

1. spacecowboy81

spacecowboy81

I am mating a '57 371 Olds to a '55 slant pan hydramatic transmission. This should be easy but I've had to figure things out because the back of my 371 crank didn't have a bushing on it and the factory manual for 1957 of course only discusses the later transmission not the hydro.

Now I know I need a pilot bushing and the pilot bushing is held in place by a steel retainer. I looked back at my '49 engine and see the same setup. Any one know where I can get this steel retainer?? Or how I can get the one off my '49 crank? I used PB blaster and a slide hammer to no avail. Heres a pic of the back of the crank, the retainer, and the bronze bushing on my '49 engine: 20191002_175133.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  2. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Did you try filling the hole with grease then putting a tight fitting round rod into the hole and hammering it into the grease? Basically hydraulically pressing it out.

3. Budget36

Budget36

I've packed the hole with toilet paper and done the same...takes about 1/2 a roll I recall

loudbang and j-jock like this.
  4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some guys use bread, but I have never tried it. I use the old fashioned stuff it full of grease and drive a tight fitting socket in it technique.

-Abone.

loudbang likes this.

5. bonneville bones

bonneville bones

Slide hammer with a hook on the end

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

bobss396, loudbang and CGkidd like this.
  6. CGkidd

CGkidd

I've had to do that to get the steel shield off before.
    Sent from my E6910 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  7. Peanut butter works, and is not as difficult to clean up. If you hit your thumb, it doesn't taste as bad.
    Bob

8. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

J-jock between the bread and peanut butter you could make lunch while forcing out the bushing

9. bonneville bones

bonneville bones

Mmmmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Just be aware of the potential for a balance issue with this combination...

loudbang and Paul like this.
  11. Charlie Jones

Charlie Jones
    from Apopka FL.

I have an extra bushing and a retainer hanging around somewhere .
    PM me .

loudbang likes this.
  12. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

One can also run a tap into the bushing and it will bottom out on the crank while forcing the bushing out. Use the smallest tap possible, it doesn't need to cut usable threads.

loudbang likes this.
  13. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I haven't fooled with any old Olds engines, but I didn't think an automatic ever used a pilot bearing. Is this some kind of oddball thing that Olds did? I do know that long long ago you could get "straight stick" olds vehicles, but I never saw an automatic with a pilot bearing.

14. CGkidd

CGkidd

4 speed hydro used pilot bushing to support input shaft inside the Taurus.
    Sent from my E6910 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  15. just Mike

just Mike

Bread works amazing, even on the roller bearing style. One slice does it and no greasy mess to clean up!

loudbang likes this.
  16. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

All single & dual range hydros use a pilot bearing or bushing … don't remember on '56 up.

17. I do the same as ms55mercury66 said,I run a tap into the bush,then use a bolt of the same size and as you tighten the bolt,the bush just slides out.

18. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

That retainer looks like a core plug with a hole in it. If that's true, can't you do a little measuring and modify one?

19. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Take a close look at the '57 crankshaft, it likely needs machining to accept the pilot bushing, if it does, have the shop also give the rotating assembly a neutral balance to work with the early transmission.
    If by chance the crankshaft will take the bushing as is, you will still need to address the balance issue, take the balancer, crankshaft and torus cover in to have them all balanced together.
    Either way the balance issue will need to be addressed.

warbird1 likes this.
  20. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Because Olds mostly came with automatics, they felt machining the pilot hole was a waste of resources. I take it you are going to a standard transmission so index the hole to verify it is centered and then machine down your pilot bearing to fit using one of the methods mentioned above. That is what I had to do.

Warren

21. poprivit

poprivit
    from Hagerstown

22. poprivit

poprivit
    from Hagerstown

I borrowed a pilot bushing puller from Autozone , worked great !

23. 50C51C35-5D5E-4342-AE7A-EBA93B794CC4.jpeg

Blind hole bearing puller
    Works great for this kind of stuff

The grease and punch thing eitknreally well also

24. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

We found this out by accident, when as teenagers, we needed a pilot bushing, and had to reuse the one in the old motor. We found that by running the tap in, and bottoming it out against the crankshaft, it just pushed the bushing right on out. This was on a '66 GTO, with the ubiquitous Muncie 4 speed, and since we used the smallest tap we could, it cut some fairly light threads in the bushing. We felt it would retain grease better that way :)