Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Whats with people that blow their horns at you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ct1932ford, Oct 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Or, PAINT THE WHEELS RED! in your case....

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  2. Use your one finger horn on them. HRP

3. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

So yesterday, while on a run to pick up some guage stuff in Martinez, I got reminded of another class of F-head clogging the fast lane- a mega-monster motorhome, towing a -wait for it- a Prius- firmly parked in the fast lane, all the way from Cordelia to Martinez. I was far enough back to watch safely as cars dodged back and forth attempting to get past this entitled Bozo, and as a result both lanes were slowed down, on a highway that generally boogies pretty good- just plain selfish behavior. Pokey Joe all you want, just get in the Pokey Joe lane.
    But sometimes, there is justice.. A few years back, I was heading to Santa Rosa on the Indian, early on Friday morning to meet my friends and head for the Redwood Run. Halfway between Napa and Sonoma is Stornetta's Hill, and before Caltrans decided to cut the passing lane in half, you could gt around trucks n stuff pretty easily. So in the right lane is a transport with a CAT 627 double-engine scraper on the back, fairly heavy critter so he's doing real well to run about 35 mph. In from of me is this old F-head in a little blue Courier pickup, bib overalls, engineer's hat, arm up on the seat, and he decides it will great fun to keep pace with the truck and mess with the long line of cars behind him. He's laughing in the mirror, thoroughly enjoying his little moment of power over others, and we close to the top of the hill where it merges back to one lane, so he speeds up just a bit, and gave me just enough room to grab a couple gears and go between- as I did, I saw the second car behind me was a CHP, and lights come on- ohschidt... So I pull over, and so does F-head. Here comes the officer, and F-head starts in "Officer, if you need me to testify, this guy has been just riding totally unsafe for miles and"- "Save it, says the CHP, I have been behind you the whole time and saw you purposely holding up everyone, including me, and could see you grinning in your mirror. I'll get to you in a minute". Pompous smile turns to dropped-jaw. So the CHP turns to me, "Are you heading for the Redwood Run?" "Yessir" "You ride safe now, and have a good weekend. Get out of here while I deal with this clown"- as he opens his ticket book. "Yessir" says I..

4. greener200

greener200

Its funny this thread comes up ,my middle name is "Pokey Joe " but I stay in my assigned lane .Friday last week a guy got me good ,dam near hit my head on the roof I jumped so high ,OH YEA ,,,HELLO ,,,,,YEP , THANKS ,,,,

5. I thought all early Chevy's had wooden fenders.:confused: They had to have fenders to hide all that extra suspension crap.:p

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ha! Try driving a Bandit Trans Am on the freeway. Every truck driver either honks, or worse, takes a selfie out the window with the car. Stopped for lunch once and looked out the window and there were 3 cop cars posed around the car and the guys taking selfies, I shit thee not. But I have to say, if you don't like the attention drive a prius. This is the bandit and I'm 10-10 on the side.

7. I did flip my neighbor off when she honked at me, but she was a good sport about it..

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The local radio station that I listen to most of the time has that damned lawyer add with the siren that makes me jump every time it comes on and m daily is dead quiet inside with the windows rolled up so you think some emergency rig is right on you tail. irs when he goes by the house but I know by the honk it is him.
    Saturday coming back from the car show at Maryhill museum and running up 97 from Goldendale it wasn't slow rigs that were the problem it was the damned fools in Suv's or pickups that decided that they could three cars and a semi at one shot and almost took out a guy with an earth tone car running with his headlights off because the "cool guys don't turn their lights on in daytime" I was pretty sure I was going o witness a head on where the suv hit the oncoming car while doing around 90.

I still don't get the being so damned full of yourself that you can't talk to folks who ask about the ride when you stop somewhere though. Hell you aren't driving a Cobra kit car afterall.

Texas57 likes this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not sure why I remember this..........when I was in my 20's some MILF honked her horn at me for who knows what, I pulled up next to her at the light and gave her the finger and she goes "promises, promises", I think I missed my chance.

Driver50x likes this.
  10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When some one pulls up beside me at the same speed I glance in the rear view and slow down letting them go. No thumb. no finger, no photo. etc. F-um.

11. slack

slack

"I don't feel I'm better than anyone else and I'm not antisocial, I have just grown tired of it. I remain cordial and polite to those who I am unable to avoid (groan) :(."

I don't get where you get "I'm full of myself". I'm as humble a guy as you'll ever meet. Above is a quote from the post you are referring to. Reading comprehension is your friend.

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Car gathering or parking lot yes... Driving down the hyway.no

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  13. Really just watch my rear view as much as my frontal view.....have managed to avoid the rear end ass banging and such....good luck to all !

14. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a great thread. This is slightly off topic, both subject wise and vehicle wise, but definitely loud and obnoxious sound wise.
    I am no fan of CB radios, but years ago when I was 15 years old, I would go on tow calls with my dad in his 59 Ford tow truck with a Holmes 550 unit on it. This truck had an old Motorola style highway patrol radio in it, that had a public address mode in it, it didn't transmit, but the PA worked perfectly. My dad wasn't really worried about what anybody thought of him, indeed it was a different time period, and we were tight with the local C.H.P. because we towed for them, so they cut us a bit of slack.

When people would be at a light and it was very obvious that you could take a free right, and they wouldn't, my dad would get on the PA and simply talk to the car in front of us and say very clearly as if he was the voice of the divine, out of the blue, " hey, wake up, its a free right hand turn, you already have your right turn signal on, and you are not taking advantage of that, so chop chop, bush bush ". If they would wonder what was happening, he would keep after them to just go around the corner, needless to say, it was a riot to watch the various reactions, but my dad made sure that the conditions had to be just right to do that with out causing some kind of accident or heart attack.

Many years later, an off topic truck I bought to be a unit to be stored in Oshkosh Wisconsin during the winter to be used each year at the airshow, this truck had a CB radio with a PA mode as well, yes old habits die hard, and yes, when at corners where the car in front just wont take the free right hand turn, the spirit left over from my dad, would get a hold of the mic and help to suggest to the car in front of me, to make the transition around the corner ! I am sure that everybody that reads this, can relate to this, and have wished that they had a PA at the precise moment when an opportunity presents itself.

Don't try this at home kids, unless you really know your neighborhood extremely well !

Dads 59 Ford tow truck.JPG

15. 1953naegle

1953naegle

Last week, I was sitting at a light and a guy drove buy me in the turn lane. All I heard was "B!7C#-..." and I was about to scowl at him, but right before he turned I saw he was giving me a big thumbs up and grin. Guess if he had slowed down a little I would have caught the last "...-EN" part.

16. Oh man- good stuff flooded my head with that one. Worked for 17 years at a private club / golf course. Had my fill of golfers.. Next job I’m driving tankers and my buddy tells me about passing a golf course that’s close to the highway- sees some guy in mid backswing and BAAAAAAAAHHH blares the air horn. Golfer schwanks it. Couple minutes later the district manager is on the phone. The owner of the company was playing with the regional manager and couldn’t figure out how in the Hell they timed it perfectly to have one of our trucks driving by to honk at the exact moment the owner was launching his drive. Luckily a good sense of humor.

Driver50x and wraymen like this.
  17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Honk if my what?

18. I picked up in Gilroy, CA late yesterday morning ...

D3A366EA-C808-4F7D-8B7F-1BABCCBAAF89.jpeg

These are vehicles (7) and (8) of ten headed to Greenville, Wisconsin.

I cover the back of my custom enclosed car hauler trailer with conspicuity tape and bumper stickers to get the tailgaters off my ass ....

395BBFDF-6668-4FB4-A90B-3891C346A77B.jpeg

That usually works just fine.

I proceeded to take the 101 north to the 580.

The curb lane is always the dicey one.

Folks are cutting in and out trying to get one car length ahead ....

Late Model Lexus driver gave me the one finger salute - then cut right in front of me.

About half an hour later - he is coming up real fast again on the left - but he is not watching the newer green Mustang in front of him braking for stopped traffic ....

He does notice just as pulls even with me and pops that Mustang real hard in the rear ....

Drivers like him are in a hurry for The Final Ride ...,

BF76E919-B78D-48D7-B6CF-28F2C5539D5E.jpeg

Jim

slack and jim snow like this.
  19. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Most people use their horns as a means of warning the nearest driver or car. If something is happening, drifting over into another lane, slowing down for no reason or other minor things, one tends to beep to warn. That is common sense. But, those that stand on the horn need some reevaluation for such a minor thing.

We don’t all drive the rarest car in the world and usually, there is nothing but space all around. But, seeing someone driving a big Suburban SUV that takes up the whole lane and then some, makes us wonder if sanity is included over function.

upload_2019-10-10_3-40-25.png

There was a time for me and in the same hot rod, the same thing for my wife, that opened our eyes while driving at night. In our 327 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, we had the time of our young lives driving all over So Cal. This version had plenty of power to go anywhere, at anytime without any problems. So, those were the happy days during the road trips during the daylight.

But, “One thing led to another…” brings up the fact that cars crept up on our right rear passenger side without any warning. We had an outside mirror, but to keep the look stock and not outlandish, we used the small round mirror. Usually, that was enough in the daylight.

In the night time drives, we all look around our cars and see that we are enclosed with DARKNESS. Only the headlights light up the roads. Those early headlights were not as powerful and wide spread as they are today. Back then, we did not have the yellow sodium lights on the streets, either. The standard white light was fine, but they were sparse in most neighborhoods. The darkness prevailed in most driving situations.

Jnaki

So, the darkness was all around the sedan delivery and the mirror helped, but it was not big enough. Those larger truck and van outside mirrors would do the job of opening up the range of side viewing, but would look awful on our 40 Ford Sedan Delivery. So, we tried to make do with what we had. A short beep here and then another one on a separate day(s) were for plenty of things, but mainly to warn us that we were close to the lane markers and possible doom.

My wife could take only a few honks and when she could not take it anymore, and her vision outside right was hindered at night, she quit driving the 40 Sedan Delivery. She still liked driving during the day, but again, a few more beeps and that was it. No more sedan delivery driving, so it was time to sell it and get a more open viewing car or truck. It was the same story for me as night time driving was getting to be a chore and the blind spot was really bothering my sense of being safe on the roads.

A new little addition popped up in our family and that made the decision to buy another car/truck a necessity. How in the world would we be able to get a car seat in the back correctly bolted down to keep the little package safe? Would the blind spot create more worries with the extra bundle behind us?

The first caller on the sale bought our sedan delivery and drove off with a huge smile on his face. No more worries about a beep here or there. No more blind spots on any of the cars we have owned since. It was that much of a difficult thing for the both of us.

20. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

It's difficult to ignore them ,and when you're successful , they feel they need to comment about what an unfriendly sob I am ,here's the thing ,beep your horn , wave your hand , talk at me , just don't expect to illicit a response , you're annoying enough without me prolonging it !

slack likes this.
  21. badvolvo

badvolvo

Torques me off when I am trailering, its an open trailer so they drive in my blind spot for miles while they take photos. A little self induced sway on the trailer normally sends them on their way.

bobss396 and Cosmo49 like this.
  22. Person: <beeps>
    Old Car Owner : "f*ck you!"
    Also Old Car Owner: "Why aren't people more interested in my hobby?!"

Texas57, slack, j3harleys and 2 others like this.
  23. boy_named_sue

boy_named_sue
    from Dayton, OH

Had a guy the other day practically climbing on the bumper of my 48 on a 40mph local road. Finally got to where there were 2 lanes and he could pass, pulled up next to me and gave me a thumbs up. Well, thanks man. But dammit don’t crash me.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I've yet to see even a 95" wide dually take up a 144" or wider lane ......?

25. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

The horn has created more road rage than anything.

26. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Had my '32 project on the trailer running from shop to shop Tuesday getting some little things set up for later. Had several honk, wave, thumbs up...even had an old (very old) man follow me into a parking lot so he could pat the 1/4 panel and tell me about a '32 roadster he just sold. I used to deal with the same stuff when we towed our dirt late models on an open trailer. You have something most people do not, why cop an attitude about it? It all goes with the territory of owning something different than the general public. Hey, at least they saw you! Would you rather hot rods were so common nobody looked? Get a Prius, nobody will notice you again.
    SPark

27. Arominus

Arominus

This is one thing that I'll have to get used to again once the Desoto hits the road again, My OT Porsche gets it a little bit as of late (hitting 30 years old) but nothing like what i used to get in the 57 Dodge or the 58 New Yorker.

28. One of the benefits of driving at night, less idiots and few pick up on old cars sharing the road.

slack likes this.
  29. I think some people are just mean and it doesn’t take much to set them off. If a horn beep triggers road rage than I think they might need some meds or a shrink. I’m no psychologist but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last week.

GreenMonster48 likes this.
  30. Budget36

Budget36

Classic, my buddy was a big dumpster diver, he lived in Richmond, Ca at the time, not the best of places during the 80's/90's, but he had a black van, would pull up to one of his "spots" and could see the locals all in the dumpster getting their days haul, he'd key the mike a few times and they'd think it was the PD and run and scatter.

He'd pull up and grab everything they left on the ground and go to his next spot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.