Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A New Deuce Project.....Chevy II style!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadsir, Sep 30, 2019.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You were going to post a shot of that sweetheart of a ragtop you wish you had not sold.

Chavezk21, Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  2. Here is a mostly original paint California hardtop I had 10 years ago, For what I paid $7500!, I should have kept it and put it away......Was almost too nice to mess with.

63 Nova 015.jpg Copy of 63 Nova 002.jpg
    63 Nova 004.jpg 63 Nova 010.jpg 63 Nova 011.jpg

63 Nova 008.jpg 63 Nova 012.jpg

elgringo71, brEad, 47ragtop and 16 others like this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Oh my, that's a beauty!

That Nova conjures up thoughts of one I bought when I was just out of high school in the early 70's, a red/white 62 hardtop with red interior.
    Not quite as mint as your white one but a nice car except.........the previous owner had plans of building a drag car and had cut out the firewall for an engine setback then got terminally ill and sold it.
    I had no place to work on it and had just started my auto tech two year course so sold it.
    I think the memory of that car was with me when I started looking for a Nova again in the early eighties and ultimately bought the 67 that we still have.

Roadsir likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

Looks like you got a really nice car to start with, there!

Interesting thing about Chevy IIs. One of the older guys in town is into cars, and his sons got into cars for a while, too. About 25 years ago, one of the sons built a nice 66 Chevy II, with a sort of snotty small block, fenderwell headers, Ford rear end, etc. Had decent paint on it, decent interior, etc, and wheels that looked pretty nice at the time. Fast forward to a few years ago, the not so young man needed money, and the car had been sitting for a long time, so another older fellow in town bought it. First thing he did was take out the neat stuff that made it a fun car, and replaced the front end with one of those modern suspension subframes, put a mild engine in it with all the modern billet stuff, overdrive automatic, mild rear gears, quiet exhaust, AC, new TT wheels, and gave it a show paint job.

He finally got the car on the road, and I saw it last week, and I thought to myself, man, you sucked the soul right out of that car.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was probably it buddy. All stock, 35,000 actual miles, numbers matching, slow ass, 3 on the tree, no option, bias plied, joy mobile. She was cute though, wasn't she?
    upload_2019-10-2_9-56-12.png
    upload_2019-10-2_9-56-50.png

6. Couldn't agree more Squirrel....Same thing happened to the white hardtop above after it was sold again. It's some anonymous pro-touring, de-trimmed, LS, 4L60, AC, blah blah blah.....

I see some guys posting up 9.8X time slips with no tubs or mini tubs on a 26X8.5 drag radial! A 67 post that I tried to buy was a 580hp 11.5:1 91 Octane 406, ported Dart heads, Comp roller cam, Callies crank, Eagle rods, 850 carb, TH400 with a 4000 stall, Cal tracs, 9" 3.70, and ran 10.60's. So I think a 10 flat would be a great goal.
    I'll be hoping for that "Holy Shit did you see what little Nova just ran" kind of comment!

brEad, Stogy, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  7. I recall that when you had it for sale. Nice little car!

Stogy, loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was as honest of Nova as you can find at any price. The problem is with the posts above, these guys that subframe them, LS, big brakes and "strip their soul" out of the cars also get 50k more for them than I could get. Everyone that looked at it fell in love with it, then they drove it and got in their car and left. There's an ass for every factory bucket seat (rare in 62) and I finally found one.

Stogy, loudbang and Roadsir like this.
  9. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I had 2 , 66 Chebbie 2s . I was young and stupid , one had a strange lookin , dual snorkel air breather , and multi leaf rear springs and a 12 bolt . I have no idea if it was a correct L79 , I was 17 years old . I think it would out run rocket assist in a city block . The other was 327 , 300 HP with altered rear wheel wells .

Stogy, loudbang and Roadsir like this.
  10. 1500 miles RT by myself in 31hrs, 5hrs of naps, and that included stopping at an all Pontiac show in Carthage Mo and a quick garage tour.
    Surprised I had enough energy to unload and get floor mats out, vacuumed, and bug bombed to get rid of some ants and spiders. Had some help to get the tires aired up and pushed into the shop.
    Here she is in all her glory !

IMG_1826.JPG

IMG_1827.JPG

IMG_1831.JPG

IMG_1836.JPG

IMG_1840.JPG

IMG_1854.JPG

IMG_1855.JPG

IMG_1856.JPG

IMG_1857.JPG

IMG_1858.JPG

IMG_1862.JPG

IMG_1863.JPG

IMG_1864.JPG

I IMG_1865.JPG

IMG_1866.JPG

IMG_1867.JPG

IMG_1868.JPG

IMG_1869.JPG

IMG_1870.JPG

IMG_1871.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. A pretty solid ol' girl for sure! I love 'em.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Damn. Judging by where you pulled it from ... one would think the underside would be fairly roached. It sure isn't. Not bad, really. Fair to clean ... surface rust not withstanding.

Cool !

Black Panther and loudbang like this.
  13. I expected worse on the underside. It's a shame that it set outside, the door seals were hard and water got inside under the rubber mat and wool pad held moisture. I also expected a little more rust on the bottom side. ODO show 47K, not sure if that could be original?

loudbang and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Three pedals too!

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  15. Yeah, that's one thing mentally I'm struggling with. Run and automatic for consistency or a stick.. If I run a modern stick (that can handle the HP, I think the tunnel would need quite a bit of massaging.

loudbang and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  16. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Nice post car, odd it's got no radio or lighter but opted for air. Doesn't look to have Soft Ray glass so maybe dealer added later?

loudbang likes this.
  17. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

You can tell that's no Minnesota car!

I vote for a manual trans. The fun of rowing thru the gears more than makes up for a few lost tenths of a second.

18. It's dealer added, the front valance below the grille was trimmed a little crudely (with a torch) to get the condenser in.

loudbang likes this.
  19. slowmotion

slowmotion

That's amazingly solid right there, something we Buckeyes only dream of...
    The '66 I once owned (Florida car I sold in the 70s) finally found the right owner a few years ago. Resurrected as a Jr Stocker/street stalker w/sbc, rear steelies & cheaters & done right. I was glad to see.
    Your project will be fun to watch come together.

Roadsir and loudbang like this.
  20. loudbang

loudbang

And the dreaded 4 lug wheels. But in nice condition for where it was sitting.

21. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Sheeeit it's got nearly new shocks I say take it for a rip.

loudbang likes this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

A man do what a man gotta do!
    I'm thinking unless you have plans of setting records at the strip the manual trans would generate the most fun as a street brawler.
    Not sure of your torque output goal ( a bigger concern than hp) but I'd consider the Richmond Super T-10 four speed, many options as far as gear ratios are available and no cutting on the floorpan is needed other than for the shifter.
    That was my choice for the trans behind the 427 small block in my roadster.
    By the way.
    I'm a bit more fond of the 66/67's but there is an original paint fawn 64 or 65 post car in my area that is a ladys daily driver, I see it even in winter, this car appears to be untouched and in mint condition, drives me nuts because every time I see it my mind goes into " the things I could do with that car" mode.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  23. 31Apickup

31Apickup

That is clean, how is it at the upper firewall where the subframe bolts on? Have a Moroso oil pan for the stock front end in my leftovers from my 67 if you’re interested.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  24. I think it will start right up....I plan on throwing a battery in and a little gas down the carb. Oil is clean. If I can get by with a carb kit, master cylinder and wheel cylinders I may drive it a bit!

QUOTE="Old-Soul, post: 13273981, member: 34507"]Sheeeit it's got nearly new shocks I say take it for a rip.[/QUOTE]

loudbang and Old-Soul like this.
  25. If I go largest cube small block like a 434 they can make 600-640 Ft Lb of torque, 421 combos about 525, and 406/410 in the 525 range as well, all on 91 octane, and aftermarket blocks.
    I've got a 410 motown small block, not a roller cam, and it hasn't been on a dyno, so I'm guessing 480 ft lbs of torque. I did destroy one super T-10 but it had a weaker (maybe weakest) 3.42 ratio first gear with the nodular iron case. I replaced it with new Super T-10 that has a 2.64 first gear aluminum case, and so far so good it's handling the torque (about 15 passes this year). I want to to rebuild the nodular iron transmission with a new set of gears and ratio, but I don't think it would handle 550-600+ Ft Lb of torque.

That fawn car sounds cool....A little old lady look would be cool backing it up with 600 Ft Lbs!

loudbang likes this.
  26. Wow, can't believe how clean the underside is. Great start for a hot rod!

loudbang and Roadsir like this.
  27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'm a Ford man, but love the Chevy II's! Traded into a 66 that had been hit hard in the passenger side, bought a 67 that was minus the front from the firewall. Unbolted the 66 front, rolled it over to the 67 and bolted it on, instant roller. The rear fenders had been cut like a Nomad, looked pretty good. A guy kept bugging me for it to build a drag car out of it, he finally offered up enough money and it went home with him, and I kept the 283 and Glide. Kicked my ass several times for not keeping it and finishing it.

loudbang and Roadsir like this.
  28. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Found ya on IG so now I can follow along on there too.

Roadsir likes this.
  29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That looks really solid.
    One of the best upgrades you can make on these cars is a good front suspension and brakes.
    I have a buddy who bought and installed the Heidts setup, it's a great unit and works really well.
    They've got a lot of options for control arms and brakes too.

https://www.heidts.com/part/62-67-chevy-2-nova-front-suspension-subframe/

PROGNOVA62.jpg
    MUSTANGIINOVA62.jpg

30. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Great start there. Back in 66 I needed a work car and bought a used 63 in the same body style you have. Paint was faded a bit but looked ok. It had a 283 and ran like a bat out of hell. As you mentioned to check out the dash deletes, if you decide to take out the AC I could be interested if not all totally trash. Even if I had to get a new compressor. Likely the compressor will need seals and new dryer. Pressure check without engine running could give a hint on that. I have AC in my 46 Coupe shown in my avatar but will be looking for one to go in my 50 Plymouth Deluxe. If that is on your mind let me know. Jimmie

loudbang likes this.