Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What pleasure do you get driving your hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exterminator, Aug 13, 2019.

1. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

I am stuck in the past. My 1932 Plymouth coupe is a Hot Rod. Mild cam, big and little tires, sets on a rake, no radio, noisy. Just the way I like it.

dartracer, MO_JUNK, Montana1 and 2 others like this.
  2. I drove my Ford all weekend, running errands it is a lot of fun. Pool place, grocery shopping, to the bank. I was in a line of cars last week, traffic slow both ways. Some lady in the other lane is pointing her phone at my car taking a picture. I catch people in parking lots taking pictures as well. It has cooled off so running around in the day time is fun once again.

61Cruiser and Stogy like this.
  3. I love driving the T- feels like a go-cart on steroids! Local driving only 'cause I find driving this is scary on the highway... a few local shows here on the island and I can get my fix. I actually like working on it even more than driving it. This winter it's getting a new wiring harness, and a total makeover into an earlier style.

swade41 and Stogy like this.
  4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I even enjoy being the passenger in the wife's 28 roadster.
    But I also like driving the Right hand drive 50 Chev Ute to work
    And I am looking forward to driving my 40 pickemup soon.
    But driving the Salt Circus down the track with the wind blowing and lifting the helmet, the open headers throwing thunder, the lakebed dust covering your visor, while the timing traps start getting closer faster, then the chute,,,, nothing better than that

Driver50x, 61Cruiser and Stogy like this.
  5. I like showing up places reeking of exhaust and unable to hear properly.

Honestly my greatest pleasure is knowing it's MY car, that I built. I can give you the specs on the engine because I built it. I know every part on the car. It's certainly not the cleanest or the nicest, but it's MINE. Since my dad died back in 2015, I also take great pleasure in knowing he helped me out a lot with it, it was a source of bonding for us when we hadn't really been close in a long time, and that he loved it almost as much as I do.

6. The beauty of driving my hot rod is it always makes me feel better and and it's like a time machine, it transports me back to simpler times, I just seem to see the would through younger eyes. HRP

7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My favorite is working on them and driving them all alone out in the country on a nice Summer afternoon. My favorite sound is listening to the radio vibrator as the original tube radio warms up. Brings back a lot of memories...........

8. Well said!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Stogy likes this.
  9. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

A LOT!!!!! Driving it is exciting, bare bones hotrodding, and fun fun fun......

Driver50x likes this.
  10. This is what I'm talking about when I say the cars are like a time machine to me. I didn't grow up in this era (wasn't even born yet), but I did (and still do) cruise the same area Jnaki is talking about......but in a later time with very different results. When I was cruising around in my '60 El Camino (circa '94-'95) it was ALL lowered Toyota pickups, BMWs, with an occasional 60's Mustang or Camaro. I cruised the Balboa peninsula in high school, there were a few muscle cars...I still stuck out like a sore thumb and this was a time where there was a lot of cars cruising (took an hour to do a regular 2 minute drive until the cops stopped it a few years later).
    newport beach police-1.jpg
    Even to this day I rarely see an "old" car cruising around........most likely because I cruise at night (dark until midnight) and they're only out during the perfect day or daytime car shows. Night time is way less crowded on the road and cooler temps for me......I do occasionally venture out during the daytime, IF I don't have anything to work on or it's overcast, gloomy and cold :).

I rarely collect or keep things from my own era (aside from some toys and NORS parts).
    Same area, different decade = I missed the boat.

Driver50x, jnaki and 61Cruiser like this.
  11. error404

error404
    from CA

Drove mine to work today because my carpool coworker had a different schedule today. It's a joy to drive, I usually only get to drive it 20 miles a day, but when we don't carpool, I get the full 100 miles :D

Driver50x and MO_JUNK like this.
  12. 61Cruiser

61Cruiser

I wish I could “like” this comment more than once. It is totally why I Drive my old car. Don’t care where I’m going as long as it is in the Belair. Just wish my wife enjoyed as much as me so we could do the trips together.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Texas57 and Driver50x like this.
  13. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

When driving my coupe many of my thoughts are of how lucky I am to be it’s caretaker and to live in and enjoy the moment.:D

47ragtop, Driver50x and 61Cruiser like this.
  14. raymay

raymay

Always happiest when I am behind the wheel. My cars often become daily drivers during the summer months here in Upstate NY. We also enjoy weekly get togethers with other retired car club members for breakfast, lunches or to just hang out. Later today we will have one of our monthly "rods in the park" where we meet at one of our parks, share stories over lunch and maybe discuss solving the problems of the world. On summer trips to visit Family in Michigan I enjoy taking one of my rides and joining in with my Son and his Family on some of the car events there.

DSC01129.JPG 71886682_2457559871146088_9210392787420184576_o.jpg 72336718_2457559897812752_5075673603157000192_o.jpg

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    i.rant, MO_JUNK and 61Cruiser like this.
  15. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I just love taking the convertible out for a drive on nice days with the top down and the wind blowing in your face. Last weekend used it as a car to carry a queen candidate for a local parade.

Driver50x and 61Cruiser like this.
  16. superbowl01

superbowl01

agree, setting around kills my back. driving around is more of a pleasure maybe stopping at a couple local places and meeting others with none high builds is so much better

exterminator and Driver50x like this.
  17. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. squirrel

squirrel

Driving the old cars can be fun....

19. How does it make me feel, well I drove the t-bucket to the chrioprator today, so I felt like I wasted a visit by doing that..ha

Texas57 likes this.
  20. I live for days where I can drive the Ford after work, go to the gym with it, even better. It is almost always the oldest car in the lot. I take the long way there, the usual 2 minute drive runs me 20 minutes. Same on the way home and I look for places where I can run it through the gears safely. I can get in and out of the car better than any other car I own, it fits pretty well and drives nicely.

21. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I really have nothing else to add to all of the previous comments. Everything goes away when I pull out on the road in one of my old vehicles. I feel blessed to live in rural America with it's two-lane blacktop roads. As a young man, life required me to commute on the San Diego freeways everyday. Participating in the St. Louis Hot Rod Hundred Reliability Run this Saturday. The route is all two-lanes through wine country. Enjoy the ride my friends.

Driver50x likes this.
  22. Driver50x

Driver50x

I haven’t had a Hot Rod for many years, but I’ve been building a 50’s style T-Bucket for the past three years. It should be on the road in a few months. I’ve intentionally built it very simple, and a bit rough around the edges. I plan to use it as a daily driver as much as possible, and weather permitting. I didn’t build this thing to park it at car shows or win any trophies.

nunattax and MO_JUNK like this.
  23. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Hope you have title....I built mine as a parts built vehicle (ASPT) and I've been back and fourth with the DMVS trying to get a VIN assigned.
    Phil

24. I've been getting to enjoy the best of both worlds. When I was spending the 11 years building my car, it was about the build. Being my first build and the first time I had ever modified anything on any car, and determined to build it 100% myself. I often wondered what I was gonna do when I finished, lol. Then I found out! ..........drive drive drive the sucker. I've put 30K+ on it in 4 years. It's become my life in a different way. My old body is telling me I don't really enjoy working on it too much any more, at least as far as keepin' it pretty. My ideal weekend is 7-1200 mile roundtrip to a show away from the flatlands. A lot of my car is not Hamb friendly, mainly the drivetrain and interior, but it was built to be reliable, safe, and comfortable. (It WAS built in the traditional hot rod way........many hours scouring salvage yards, swap meets, etc. It was built 100% by me in a one car converted carport with a dirt floor.)
    I have come to really enjoy many of the shows not only because of the people I've met, the association with so many car guys and gals, and the chance to see so many awesome cars, but frankly mostly because of the interest, response, and questions I get about my car. For the most part it's genuine interest beyond just the thumbs up or the "nice car".
    This past weekend, I drove thru 320 miles of rain to get to the "run to the Inn of the Mountain Gods", in Ruidoso, NM. I was stoked when I got a motel room, and the owner told my the place would be full of car show guys on Friday night. Turned out the parking lot of the motel was full with the pickups that towed the trailers in. There were 232 entries at the wonderful show on Saturday. I'm guessing 75% of them trailered in. In their defense, I will say probably quite a few of them would have driven if the weather had cooperated. So, my kind of weekend, beautiful scenery, great quality show, enough miles driven to satisfy my quench for the time being. Spent most of the day answering questions about hows and whats. To make the weekend perfect, the New Mexico Goodguys rep gave me the award for his favorite car of the show. Pretty cool for a driver with 30k miles of roadrash, and a first timer build. So yeah, I love the driving, but if it includes a show in pretty scenic areas, I'm all in.
    Sometimes I need a roadtrip, and there's nothing going on except the open roads, so I'll just head up to the mountains of Colorado and get lost in the clouds.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    i.rant likes this.
  25. oldsman41

oldsman41

My avatar is my daily driver 41 olds I just like driving her. When I found it in a field 20 years ago my wife told me I was crazy it was sad to look at it but I took it home and gave it a new life, she’s been very good to me.

26. belair

belair

The dualed 235's snap, crackle and pop, the way it raps the pipes in 2nd gear, the whine of that old 3 speed when you let of the gas, everyone who "used to have one like it", but doesn't now, and wishes they still did, that 55 hood ornament splitting the wind, the vent window open, my arm on the resting on the door - what's not to love.

chevy57dude likes this.
  27. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's great!----I'm sure she remembers everything about your ride! At 86 I still love chasing the lines.

28. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YER' RIGHT!!! SNOW TIME ROADSTER.jpg

29. Sourwood

Sourwood
    from Atlanta Ga

I drive mine every day, cuz its all I have!! But every time is like the first time..