Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Driving at night

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 5, 2019.

1. jim snow

jim snow

Got them. Tail lights on 41 ford are very small. Snowman

nunattax and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. After getting rear ended in my 40 Sedan I decided to make concessions where saftey is concerned, I too installed LED's in the rear . HRP

nunattax, Ron Funkhouser and jim snow like this.
  3. I don't like driving more than one hour at night anymore. A good friend is having a garage party. I said that I'd be spending the night. I don't like this getting old stuff. But I guess it's better than NOT ! 20171222_064930.jpg 20171125_165541.jpg

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At 76 cataract surgery is right around the corner. I have the "Circle" of light with every light at night. I have curtailed all the night driving I can. I've been nearsighted since I was 12 and worn glasses ever since. I'm glad I'm still here...

osage orange, X-cpe and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. Don't put it off, there is no pain and results are amazing within minutes. HRP

osage orange likes this.
  6. Lil32

Lil32

at 70 just had cataract done on left eye, going in on 16thOct for right eye done
    trouble was when we visited USA again this year I could not read my Tom Tom GPS system
    on dashboard with my new glasses,this caused tension with wife who had to lean over
    and read it for me, doing 70plus MPH on freeways was not pleasant.surgeon tells
    me I should be able to get rid of glasses and only need them for reading books.
    10 minute procedure but it cost $3000

osage orange and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's right, Brenda... I remember now... he smoked 'em. He really smoked that one with the car, too.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Here in the South it was far more reasonable but you can't put a monetary value on your vision, Just being able to sit down and read a book and not squint. HRP

osage orange likes this.
  9. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

ITS PRICELESS

10. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Nighttime = Halo time:(

11. It's like the damn hot rod retirement home around here!! Why don't you old bastards get your blue blockers and quit yer bitchin!!

Hold on, I can't see my screen with this damn white forum background........... ;)

12. I've been wearing glasses since I was 12. A few years back I started having trouble with glare from oncoming headlights while driving at night. It was getting to the point where I simply did not enjoy night driving. I was getting a new pair of glasses and happened to mention this to my optician. He said I should have this anti-glare coating put on my lenses. He gave it a name which I have since forgotten but I said to go ahead and do it. Wow, what a difference it made! I actually enjoy driving at night now. :D

13. AR Coating. Makes the lenses reflect green, right? Best thing I ever did for glare.

osage orange and nunattax like this.
  14. Good thing us old farts are still around to teach you young whippersnappers about history. HRP

15. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

And us REALLY old guys to teach you not so old farts !

sidevalve8ba and Mr. Sinister like this.
  16. Had cataract removal on my right eye four years ago and paid extra for the dual lense (correcting for distance and reading). Amazing improvement. Next month I'll get the cataract removed from the left eye and since I can't afford the $3,000 for the dual lense, I'll get the basic distance lense and use reader glasses when I'm on the computer or reading a book. Makes driving at night much safer after those cataracts are gone.

17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Those X-Ray Vision glasses advertised in the back of the comic books, man, I'm here to tell ya, them things don't work. What a rip off! I'm gonna buy that submarine though.

IMG_1133.JPG

Ron Funkhouser and sidevalve8ba like this.
  18. Dang....another issue I'll have to discuss with my shrink.......

19. error404

error404
    from CA

I mentioned earlier that one of my eyes has damage to the iris, causing glare. Your brain is very good at compensating for one eye that's sub-par. I suspect that with one good eye, and one slightly less, you will be fine. I don't normally notice the oddities in my bad eye unless I have my good eye closed.

tractorguy likes this.
  20. You're Insurance companies and DMV's can read all of this "Getting too old to drive" info. What are you thinking?

nunattax likes this.
  21. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Don't the dmv in California do eye test like all the rest of the country, if you can't see you don't need to be behind a steering wheel but if you can do something about your vision do it.

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  22. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Young ones take note....we are your future, take care of yourselves, no one gets out alive

Petejoe likes this.
  23. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-10-9_3-38-43.png Taken through the windshield of the 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, after a late night photo shoot in North Long Beach. 35MM SLR set at 1 or 2 sec exposure from the dash.

Hello,

A long time ago, driving around during the daytime in any old car or truck was rather a cool thing to do on a daily basis. Most people did not know what car (sedan delivery) was next to them. The inquisitive ones would ask what the S.D. was and what was the power under the hood. In my first sedan delivery the answer was a timid, “stock flathead.” But the car was rare in the So Cal places we drove, so it was accepted as a hot rod.
    upload_2019-10-9_3-39-55.png
    The second 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery was powered by a 327 v8 and that was more impressive to those that asked. Both sedan deliveries were comfortable to drive, had the reliability factor that took me/us all over So Cal coastal areas and into the deserts. In the daytime, it was fun to drive as it was a hot rod. The beaches and various surf spots created tons of admiration. Both cars did what was asked of them and the satisfaction paid off in droves.

Jnaki
    upload_2019-10-9_3-40-44.png But, in the second SBC sedan delivery, things began to happen. My wife loved driving around in the sedan delivery and at times, she took the sedan delivery on short errands instead of her 1962 Corvair or the red 65 El Camino. She loved the feel of the old car with the SBC power. Plus, it had A/C that none of our other cars had at the time.

Whether it was daytime or into the late night road trips, it was not a problem until small things began to pop up. The feeling of unseen cars sneaking up on the right side out of vision of the outside mirror was not too friendly. For her, it was the thing that caused the doom of driving any sedan delivery or van. It got so bad after several horn honks by other lane drivers, that it created the decision to sell the sedan delivery.

It was a sad moment to talk about getting another car, but, it was the number one thing on our minds. The whole blind spot was not just her idea or just happened to her. It was something I began to notice on my long trips in the day AND night.

There was just no way to get better vision on the right rear area, without having large truck mirrors. For us, that was something that would not look right and destroy the cool design of the 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. It was not our eyesight, either, as we were twenty somethings at the time with excellent vision and acuity. Just as we were set on making a decision, a new family member popped up to speed the selection along for a new car with safety and vision all around.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/artsy-car-pics-lets-see-em.380363/page-25#post-11866538
    Driving at night in the 40 sedan delivery

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  24. LAROKE

LAROKE

I know what you mean.

[​IMG]

25. sunbeam

sunbeam

Most head light laws use wattage a 35watt LED will put out way more light than a 35 watt sealed beam.

osage orange likes this.