Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects hypothetical engine swap !

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by redoxide, Oct 6, 2019.

1. redoxide

redoxide

Slow Sunday morning , heavy rain and getting ready to go to the shed....

OK so the flathead in your traditional style hot rod is tired, it needs an expensive rebuild and despite your love for the look , your funds are low but you have a circle of buddies that have an ecleptic array of parts and are keen to share ..

Under your workbench you have a good running 331 Cadillac motor and a 331 hemi.. Your buddy has a rebuilt Olds 303 and hes keen to swap for the Hemi ..

( I did say this was hypothetical lol )

Youve had the Cad and Hemi motor for years and they cost you spit , both come by way of trades and you heard them both run. You just saved them for that build you had buzzing around in your mind ..

Which one would you choose to replace the flathead ... and why..

Your gonna score the adapters and other stuff usefull parts from your good buddies and your personal stash.. No rebuilds are planned, just a wipe down and oil change ..your not going racing, just hot rodding ;)

no gearbox swaps or rear end swaps permitted ..

Never2old and loudbang like this.
  2. All 3 of those are great hot rod engines,,,,couldn’t go wrong either way.
    Personal preference really,,,sounds like you have a great stash to choose from.

Of course,,,since this is hypothetical,,,,,my personal favorite is the Hemi.

But,,,since this is hypothetical,,,,,,the flathead could be rebuilt and not cost a fortune either.
    Tired means it is running but weak,,,right,,so no massive amount of money in hard parts.
    Sounds like rings and a valve job and the old engine would be back in form.

But,,,hypothetical speaking,,,,I always liked the Hemi,,,Lol

Tommy

King ford, sunbeam and redoxide like this.
  3. Simple the Hemi..

Just the WOW factor alone over a Cad/Olds engines..

Now the swap for the Olds maybe tempting due to the fact it is FRESH and probably last you your life time, You may have heard the other 2 run but are they tired and worn out and have to re-pull for a freshen up once in-between the frame rails...

either way parts for any of the 3 are not cheap.

4. The car also plays a major roll..as an example (maintaining the traditional vibe), but updating from a flathead say in a '40 Ford, my choice would be the Olds first, then Cad.

redoxide and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. If cost, expertise and time are a factor go for the fresh drop in and go option.
    Realistically if you had a HEMI and haven’t done anything with that Hemi yet then you probably won’t.

6. I’m going to duck after saying this, but, I’m
    choosing door number four. 327 Chevrolet. Sorry, but it’s my favorite engine.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. oldsman41

oldsman41

As much as I love the Hemi I think I would go with the fresh olds motor.

Elcohaulic, JeffB2 and redoxide like this.
  8. Cadillac, followed by Olds; then the Hemi... mainly for the ease of doing the swap. No sbc allowed!

don colaps, Paul, King ford and 3 others like this.
  9. redoxide

redoxide

It really is hypothetical.. Wish I did have the spare mills under the bench.. Both my projects are fitted with the faithful old boat anchors .. ( Flathead V8s)
    The 327 wouldnt be a disgrace .. just a wee shade outwith the build era ...

I have a 40 comming in with a stuck 303 olds, to be replaced with an unstuck 303 olds .. Might offer to take it to the dump for free // cough ... Ive seen a couple of decent deals on the cad and the odd hemi motor on here recently ..

Was just bench racing really, interested to see what folks choices would be if they were fortunate to have the stuff laying about :)

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  10. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Sell the Cad,Olds and Hemi to use the funds for a over the top flattie.
    In a hypothetical world trade all three for a set of Ardun heads.

11. redoxide

redoxide

Now thats thinking out the box right there .. Im guessing selling all three would just about net a deposit on a s.c.o.t. blower LOL..

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. Don't forget the starter issue if you go with the Olds.

redoxide likes this.
  13. I would sell all three for top buck as they are all perfect hot rod engines.
    Then sell the tired flatty with all the accessories for good cake.

Then I would buy a SBC dress it up traditional and with ALL the money I saved and made off the other engines , go buy another car !!! Lol.

Anyone of the engines you mentioned would be killer hot rod fodder, can’t go wrong with any of them!!

I’m just joking/ not joking about the small block :D

D8B588F5-CD6D-4A5C-A47E-61AAA8F70DDA.jpeg
    I think this sign is for me !

Texas Webb, LOU WELLS, Boden and 3 others like this.
  14. oldolds

oldolds

Hypothetically, I will sit back and think about it while having a couple beers!

Texas Webb, redoxide and VANDENPLAS like this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a flathead waiting to go in my Model A if I don't sell the A and put the flathead in something that is a whole lot less work. I've also got a 330 Desoto Hemi in the shed waiting to be done up and go in something. I'd have to spend more on the Desoto on any engine that I have done in my life including the flathead if it has to be bored.
    Flathead/ hemi or 303 Olds doesn't really matter as they all have pretty equal cool factor. What might matter is the availability and cost of parts and goodies. Even with the hoarders flathead stuff is pretty readily available and while spendy not totally outrageous but can you find the goodies you would want for one of he others without breaking the bank.

redoxide likes this.
  16. sunbeam

sunbeam

They all weigh about the same and the Olds and the Cadillac are actually wider that the Hemi go with the Chrysler.

redoxide likes this.
  17. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

You didn't say what brand of traditional hotrod the vehicle is, and what brand the flathead engine is. To me, I would have to know that before I decided what would be the best choice. Left or right hand steering ? Beater or Better ?

alphabet soup likes this.
  18. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would have to think about the cost of: trans adapters, flywheels/clutch, exhaust, radiator, mounts, wiring, etc. I am not the biggest fan of a flat motor. But it seems like you have been happy with it so far. Why not stay with it??

19. Boden

Boden

First would be the Cadillac, then the olds, then the hemi. Just my thing. Not a big fan of a hemi.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

redoxide likes this.
  20. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Had a ford v8 flattie, 1 was enough...
    Had a olds 303w/324 heads, mild cam, 6 94's; was ok...
    Sat nite spl olds 371 w/isky roller cam, ported heads n 6 97's never got put back together...
    Had chevy v8's, <shrug>...
    Like the Stude stuff. Enough to put one where it wasn't originally... :D .
    Maybe someday a hemi, if it'd have a blower, well, just because... :).
    Marcus...

Texas Webb and redoxide like this.
  21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I pulled a rebuilt flathead out of my ford and swapped in a 49 331 caddy... I thought I would keep the flatty around just in case I wanted to go back but sold it quickly after I drove the car the first time with the cad

037E9D10-0B05-4AC9-8524-AC45A2D5B5E6.jpeg 2CC3AE58-32B4-47F5-8CDE-CF79064FC1BD.jpeg EF2A3EBB-7F66-4561-99DE-4035A1969555.jpeg 6E269251-50C0-4346-B84F-9F6293130574.jpeg

22. Id go with the Olds. Im a Ford guy but love the look of the old rocket motors.

Cleat and redoxide like this.
  23. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

The Hemi Has A Lot Of Eye Appeal And They Are Very Durable.. 57hemi325.jpg .

24. bltbalsam

bltbalsam

Now you've got a real "Hot Rod" motor in your car. Anybody can buy a flathead.

LOU WELLS, redoxide and Moriarity like this.
  25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stopped in to see how this hypothetical engine swap is going.

Might have to get a hypothetical rear sump oil pan and pickup. Maybe modify the hypothetical firewall. Hypothetical headers to fit. Man, this is easy when it's hypothetical.
    LOL

Moriarity and Lou...
    Looks like you guys got yours done. Both of your 40s are awesome... especially the engines.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LOU WELLS, redoxide and Moriarity like this.
  26. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Hemi

Why?

They’re easier to find blower manifolds for! :cool::)

kidcampbell71, Hombre and redoxide like this.
  27. I'd go with the Caddy first , had an Olds. in 37 wasn't happy with it and Hemi parts are to expensive !

redoxide likes this.
  28. Going to have to sweeten the pot some if you want a set of Arduns….

redoxide likes this.
  29. redoxide

redoxide

Moriarity likes this.
  30. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

We are talking hypothetically but you never know.

redoxide likes this.