Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Gotta vent...bad day in the garage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loveoftiki, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Ok....so it seems as though I’m getting really good at throwing parts at stuff..had an issue with my Flexplate ( 168 tooth???) bought a 164 to take care of that. Well the torque converter I ordered had the wrong 10.5 bolt pattern too, so it worked out and my new one has both bolt patterns. The Hays converter I ordered seemed odd...most Ford converters have studs..this one has bolts. I get everything in and I wanna but a starter to it to blip it quick. Well the High torque starter doesn't want to engage, seems to be hanging up on the engine plate..so file away...30 minutes later I’m giving up, of course my stock starter won’t fist now because of the frame connectors I put it and the headers are in the way...so what is that I see at the bellhousing...red fluid...I really had to pull the converter up to bolt it together..didn’t seem right..but it’s for a 24 spline c4...so now I’ll spend 45 minutes on line with tech support, drive to NPD and try another starter...I thought he’ll ill redo the motor and trans...no big deal...yeah right..it’s not looking good for firing this thing before the snow flys at this point

Oh yeah I said well let’s put my B&M shifter in..drilled the holes and realized I’ll need the hands of an infant to bolt it to the floor...

Oh yeah let’s not forget about the radiator I bought 2 months ago and never opened..yep wrong side for the outlet...

You can’t make this stuff up
    It was one thing after another..a full day of Bullshit....damn cars

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  2. 2935ford

2935ford

Time for tea! :)

Woogeroo and loudbang like this.
  3. Or a good scotch!Sorry for your grief.

osage orange and Deuces like this.
  4. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah ..hang in there...we're pulling for you..

loudbang and osage orange like this.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

6. I feel your pain. I’ve been going through similar head aches with a 283 going in my ride. Hope you get it going. Mine is headed to a friends house, maybe the two of us can get it right.

7. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Forum needs a “ah s*it” button

8. 1ton

1ton

One of those days that starts out bad and just gets worse. The harder you try the worse it gets. Gotta learn when to quit. Just close up the garage and go do something else.

9. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

This is the time for beer and watching the sun set.

10. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

No wonder it hard for me to work on my junk, shit happens.

11. It still beats working! You'll get it, and it'll be worth it.

12. sedantudor

sedantudor

Hang in there! We all have been there at one point in time or another and I am willing to bet most of will be there again.

13. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

S....t happens

loudbang likes this.
  14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Know right where you're coming from. Changing the Linc over from Chevy to Ford power the damn thing has fought me all the way. Mounts in wrong place, headers wouldn't fit past steering box, coolant hoses tight as heck to get in, and then had a hard time starting it, finally got it to start then it won't idle, still working on that.
    Damn thing is not gonna whup me! I will prevail! Eventually! When I get ready to go back and work on it again.....

15. This time next year you'll be laughing about it, we've all been there, I just got it putting in a stainless insert in my firewall. I drilled 30 holes to use stainless button head fasteners with nylock nuts, spaced them all nice, the problem was on the inside of the car you could only get to about 6 of them. It took me and my son 4 1/2 hrs to put in those 30 stupid 10-32 fasteners. It sucked ass !

16. Well, I thought I was having a bad time. I won't even whine, because my problems are nothing compared to what you are going through. I hope you will see the daylight soon.
    Bob

17. I agree, today has been one of those days. I pulled the engine out of my O/T Ford truck, the old engine was seized up and the bores were badly rusted. I tried for two weeks of soaking to free it up with no luck. I finally resigned myself to having to pull the torque converter with the engine. I hate that, finally got pissed, pulled the damper and timing cover, used a pipe wrench and 5 foot pipe on the crank snout. Something is going to break or loosen up. I’m 6’2” and slightly over 300 lbs, and I’m kinda strong. The engine gave way. Gotta love an 18” Rigid pipe wrench!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

swade41, Hnstray, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For a minute there I thought it was a Ford guy trying to work on a Chevy as some of the things in the first post just don't jive.
    I can laugh with you but not at you for sure as it seems every thing I work on lately I have to do half of it twice. I had to take the spring that I had just bolted on my car trailer back off Friday because I had hung the shackle down rather than up. That was one of the simpler and easier ones I have had lately.
    u

19. derbydad276

derbydad276

20. Deuces

Deuces

Lol... I'm sorry! :( But that^^^^^was funny.....:D

loudbang likes this.
  21. try doing it for a living......

22. derbydad276

derbydad276

hope you get it all worked out

Deuces, loudbang and osage orange like this.
  23. At least the car didn't fall on you or anything really bad.

Deuces, loudbang, 49ratfink and 2 others like this.
  24. A bad day in the garage is still better than a good day at work.

25. I have a 390 FE engine that has been filled with ATF or a few months, wanna use your expertise to unstick it? :)
    I started working on it in June, and I have had so many distractions, that I haven't been able to get back to it, other than give it a few squirts from time to time.
    Running when parked......
    Bob

26. I do, that’s why it’s so frustrating at home. Look at my avatar, that’s my toolbox at work. It’s not like I don’t have the tools, we have one heck of a nicely equipped farm shop.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I sympathize with you man, I just went through pulling the starter and the dipstick tube on a BBC to get the drain plug out of the block, thankfully the driver's side only has you fighting the motor mount. "This'll just take a minute!" HoHoHo! Give me my Fords any day!

Deuces, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  28. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Wow...............Sorry, A Really Bad Day !! What’s That They Say........ “Life’s A Bitch Then We Die.” Hoping you have better luck tomorrow.

Deuces, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  29. To pull the starter on one of my big blocks, I have to drop the RH header, and it is a bitch all the way. It is also the engine that took weeks to the the shims right so the starter clearance was correct, so guess what happens when I drop the starter. Next time, I am going to glue the shims in the proper place. What really irks me, is that the starter I pulled on that particular engine did not require any shims.
    That is the thing I hate most about the bottom mount GM starters.
    Bob

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  30. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't have a bad day but "things" didn't go as quickly as I thought they would. I have a replacement hood for the Stude, it was black, but....it wasn't a nice finish at all, looked like a carb fire had melted some of the paint. Winter is coming so I decided to blast the paint off. doing the underside takes a while to get in all the nooks and crannies, I thought the top would be a piece of cake. I found multiple coats of paint, some was gummy/thick/crazed and it was a slow process, I was working in the dark before I got done:( I finally grabbed a paint stripping disc, the last one in stock in the shop, and ground the black and some of the blue off and then finished with the blasting. That doesn't count the new head light switch that doesn't work after I fiddled with it quite a while. I am going to attempt to rebuild an old switch, wish me luck. I thought the car would be running by now! IMG_2534.JPG IMG_2532.JPG

Deuces and loudbang like this.