Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Painting the engine bay

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Wimbledon White on the firewall of my old Deuce pickup. HRP

[​IMG]

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I've decided on nothing for now. Don't wanna do a half-assed job. Do as you guys do with your scratch builds... do all the cutting and welding and everything, get it built, running, going down the road, work the bugs out.

Then take it apart again and finish everything real nice...
    ... someday. LOL.

Nah... actually, hopefully by next season.

Probably a stock style paint theme for this 53 Chrysler.
    Body color (burgundy, maybe) on the upper firewall, black below the pinch weld and on everything else. I don't like flat black under the hood or on the chassis. Not sure whether I want semi-gloss or gloss black. Maybe semi-gloss on everything except certain parts... inner fenders, radiator, etc. Not sure yet.
    I'm open to suggestions.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. Slopok

Slopok

Tried to tie into exterior theme.
    211.JPG

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

being lazy and cheap, I've discovered that if I sandblast inner fenders, frames, radiator supports, etc then paint them with rattle can gloss black, it comes out a nice satin look.

If you have the engine out, now is the time to clean, sand, and paint the firewall to match the finished body color. It'll only take you two days. Honest.

5. The engine compartment on my avatar needs a thorough detailing, that will be a winter project. Get rid of the split tube wiring, clean/repaint the motor while changing out the valve covers (Edelbrock 'signature' series... yuck), and repaint the firewall/inner fenders. I'm leaning towards black hammertone for that....

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. My pal Dave followed suit and painted his firewall Wimbledon White also. HRP

[​IMG]

7. I chose to keep the firewall original looking with the old 4 door. HRP

[​IMG]

olscrounger likes this.
  8. My pal Steve also painted his firewall Wimbledon white. HRP

[​IMG]

1morecarIpromise! likes this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree there unless you have one of those rigs that came from the factory with everything under the hood painted body color. That might be an early 60's Uni body car as far as HAMB friendly goes though.
    The 48 gets a body color painted firewall and some shade of black inner fenders radiator support and other pieces that were originally black this time around. Probably leaning to almost but not seriously shiny.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. You got it right now!:cool:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. coupe man

coupe man

What's the best type of paint to use on a white firewall.Enamel,base coat, clear coat or what.Sooner or later something will get splashed or sprayed on it.So what is the most forgiving type of paint to use?Thanks Steve

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

That might depend on some things such as, are you painting the firewall at the same time as the rest of the car? is it a show car, driver, cruiser, hot rod, or what? Are you painting it, or someone else?

I have always used catalyzed acrylic enamel, it works well, lasts a long time, and I can apply it myself with decent results. If someone else is painting your car, I'd suggest listening to that person. If you are doing the entire car in bc/cc, then it makes sense to use the same materials on the firewall, as the rest of the car.

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

My 60 Pontiac engine bay. Everything except engine is satin black. The engine has less then 400 miles on it and no dirt yet. Easy to keep clean if you stay after it. gkz4KZrsQg6RQf%PzkX6Sw.jpg

14. coupe man

coupe man

Thanks for the reply.I'm painting it myself.The rest of the truck will be single stage semi gloss black.

15. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Plenty of great ideas here. I've done it a couple of ways. Our old '39 Ford Deluxe coupe with some color and accent striping on the firewall:
    39cpe_engine_900.jpg
    And my current project '64 Chevy II with the entire under hood area low-gloss black.
    underhood 0714-9-800.jpg
    I think both looks, or any combinations thereof, have merit. And I don't really care how it was originally, I'm not restoring it!! :p;)

16. stpaulsdealmaker

stpaulsdealmaker

That 40 Ford with the old school striping is KILLER

17. Hey Danny,
    I like the engine compartment on the ranch wagon. The layout.
    It looks better than anything new from the factory now!
    Very good job!

Tommy

18. everything in shiny black. any leaks just makes it shine more. a shiny engine bay with no work, just as I like it.

19. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Harley Air filter covers ? They look cool

20. Sporty45

Sporty45

My 47 Old's will have body color firewall and semi gloss black inner fenders and radiator support.

IMG_20190829_180145541.jpg

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  21. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Hell man drop a diesel in one and it will color change on its own in 6 months of operation , kinda fast way to the patina look !

22. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I build customs. Paint the compartment any color I want! Usually to match the car's exterior, sometimes accents in the interior color. Whatever I feel like. Not a "paint by the numbers" kind of guy! 100_0774.JPG 100_0774.JPG 55_Olds 006.jpg Les_engine.jpg shop 002 (2).jpg Lumber St shop 008 (2).jpg Lumber St shop_rusty_eng 005.jpg

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  23. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

On my convertible I painted the firewall the color of the body, but the inner fender panels and all the rest of the under hood parts I painted gloss black

olscrounger likes this.
  24. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Is that an Olds engine in the engine bay?

25. Sporty45

Sporty45

Yes sir, it sure is!

26. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Good keep it all Olds. My convertible is all Olds too

27. Sporty45

Sporty45

That has been my plan all along! ;):D

28. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Keep us posted as to progress building this Olds

29. sedantudor

sedantudor

Varies due to build theme of the car. I have become a fan of Lowes .99 cent rattle can glass/semigloss. The whole firewall is gloss up top and semigloss on the lower portions. I have found that gloss and semigloss blend in well with the occasional oil leak.

30. Roothawg

Roothawg

That truck is so sanitary. Nothing I would change.

Black_Sheep likes this.