Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Shade tree Model A speedster kind of thing

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rwrj, Nov 21, 2017.

1. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

2. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Plym
    I hope I didn't come off as patronizing, explaining those carbs when you already know about them. I'm glad you like them, too. For your project, maybe the big HS8's off of a Jag or a big Healey? I always had a notion to see how a pair of SU's would work on an old air-cooled VW, but that's for another time and website. Hahahaaa

brEad likes this.
  3. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

No worries, can always learn more. There is a site that shows what singles or multiples to use based on displacement.

4. mkebaird

mkebaird

Thanks for the SU primer. I've got a pair on my 52 Jag, never had to mess with them.

5. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

mkebaird,
    I'll be honest, I feel like I let my enthusiasm for those things to lead me to pontificate a little bit. I am not an expert, by any means. More of an enthusiastic advocate with a bit of experience. I'm really jealous that you have a 52 Jaguar.

Plym,
    I used a chart to help me decide whether to try a single 1 3/4" SU or duals, but I read it for horsepower instead of displacement. The chart is posted a few pages back. I think horsepower is a better metric to use than displacement. My single carb was part of a matched pair off of an 1800cc Volvo 4 cyliner. Around half the displacement of my old banger, but it will rev to around 6k rpm and make around 100 hp. Seems to me most of those charts apply to more modern engines, at least as far as displacement is concerned. These old engines turn so slow that I feel like using displacement can be misleading. Just my opinion, though. All I can say is that approach seems to have worked for me pretty well. Also, because of the variable venturi, I think SU's are more forgiving if you do over-carb an engine.

Dammit, there I go pontificating again. Maybe I just lucked out on my set-up. Maybe these old bangers will run on almost anything.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    mkebaird, Shadow Creek and 48fordnut like this.
  6. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Luck is a good thing! I was thinking an inch three quarter Friend has them off I think he said Rover v8.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  7. 55bird

55bird
    from Spokane WA

I worked (played?) with SUs for years on Volvos, Austin Healeys and MGs and found that using a length of heater hose like a stethoscope worked at least as well as my Uni-syn. Thought that might be keeping with the shadetree vibe of your cool project, in case you go to duals.

Cool project!

RidgeRunner likes this.
  8. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

This is pretty much a duplicate of a post I just put up on the September Banger thread, but with more detail. I hope that's not against some unspoken etiquette around here, but I figured some of the guys who follow this thread might not follow that one, so...
    Anyway, I took a little drive this morning. I try to get out at least once a week, but I don't always document them. Pretty often I'm diagnosing some little problem, repair, or adjustment (the new distributor cap and wires, for example) but this morning was purely for fun. We're having pretty hot weather down here, but it's really nice if I go early enough. Old Shade Tree pooted along just fine, mostly around 50. It likes that, doesn't lug up our little hills, and doesn't scare me. I usually try to push my limit at least once each drive, speedwise (haven't come close to the car's limits yet, I don't think), but mostly I just like to cruise along at that comfortable speed. This morning was a study in contrast. I met a parade of sportbikes and got a couple of those two finger motorcycle waves, which struck me as pretty funny. Guess the nature of this thing gives me honorary biker status? A little later a wild turkey hen and her brood crossed in front of me. They didn't seem alarmed at all, just a little nonplussed that they had to hurry across the road. Then just stood in the grass on the left hand side and watched me clatter by. I stopped in the driveway of one of the plantations down here just long enough to take a picture. Overall, it was a pretty joyful experience. No overheating or break downs. For those interested, I only had to pump the fuel up twice.

IMG_20190908_094017930.jpg

IMG_20190908_094138654.jpg

Screenshot_20190908-095533.png

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  9. Mart

Mart

You figured right.

Thanks for the roundup.

Stogy likes this.
  10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

That's a fun looking rig. Glad it being reliable for you . Gotta ask does it squeek and creak like some wooden boats in waves when it goes over bumps?

Stogy likes this.
  11. Sounds like a pleasant start to your day! Love the car.

Stogy likes this.
  12. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Thank you all. Man does it ever squeak and creak, but it's mostly the metal parts. The wood is all glued together, so it really doesn't move against itself.

13. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

50 must feel like flying, not far from the feeling of riding a motorcycle when you are pretty sure no one is out to kill you...

Stogy likes this.
  14. pumpman

pumpman

Great roads you have to play with your toy.

Stogy likes this.
  15. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Yeah, I've had it up to about 65, but I'm man enough to admit that I'm not man enough to enjoy that very much. The wind noise is downright uncomfortable, I need a helmet with ear flaps. And some goggles. Plus, the overall experience at that kind of speed makes you really respect those old salt flats guys.

ratrodrodder, Tim, 48fordnut and 6 others like this.
  17. Mart

Mart

Yeah that's the sort of thing that makes you aware of your own mortality.

18. Great build!! Love the way you think......Thanks for sharing!

This is the A-Ford speedster I'm building.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. AmishMike

AmishMike

Would love to follow a build thread on that one. Looks very nice & well done

BeaverMatt, Blues4U and De Konjel like this.
  20. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

I agree. It looks really nice, much more sophisticated than mine. Hahahaaa

21. Ha haha! Thanks but your car looks great.
    Fantastic ideas.....

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

I picked up this Brierley "C" grind camshaft from lake_harley here on the classifieds (thanks again). It's apparently a little hotter than a stock B cam, supposed to be good for lightly modified engines. With the police head, SU carb, and jack-leg dual exhaust, I'm hoping my heap qualifies. I did a good bit of internet research about adjustable lifters, which really just left me more confused, but I ended up ordering the Colony self-lockers because they have the larger foot pad. Also got an aluminum gear. This post is really just a teaser, don't know when I'll have time to install all of this. Stay tuned (no pun intended).

IMG_20191124_085805902.jpg

23. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Ohhhh I can't wait to see your next video with the hot cam installed.

24. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

No progress on the cam. I decided not do do it halfway, so I ordered new springs and guides, plus the little doohickey to drive the old guides out with. Should be here after Thanksgiving, but it'll probably be closer to Christmas before I can get time for such a job. In the meantime, I finally got this thing insured (Hagerty, $260/year) and ran to town to buy a tag ($20). To be perfectly honest, I've been feeling a little undignified sneaking around the back roads. I've been looking forward to being legal. I had already spent the puzzling-time to figure out how to mount it, just bolts/washers/acorn nuts through the flap of the saddlebag. The bottom isn't held down right now, the stock holes are right on top of the buckle straps. I'm going to run it a bit and see if I need to drill a hole in the middle of the bottom and put one more attachment there. I was so tickled I actually washed the poor thing. I know a lot of people block out their tag numbers online, I just never saw the sense in it. It's not like its a secret.

IMG_20191126_105804567.jpg
    IMG_20191126_112356690.jpg

I do have a rather odd problem, though. I'm kind of a shy person, but I seem attracted to outlandish hobbies that attract a lot of attention. The thought of driving this rig through the main drags of my little town kind of worries me. I just don't want to be looked at that hard. I'm real proud of the car, don't get me wrong. It's not an embarrassment thing, just a self-consciousness thing. Anybody else have that problem, or am I just weird?

25. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I have a tendency to park and get the hell away from it myself. I do enjoy walking back up and hearing what people have to say when they don't know it's mine. I learn all sorts of stuff

BradinNC, kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  27. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Dammit. I was afraid of that. Hahaha. To be honest, I guess it was kind of a rhetorical question.

28. pumpman

pumpman

You didn't mention it but was it difficult to get it registered?

Stogy likes this.
  29. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Not really. Georgia is pretty reasonable about this kind of thing.

Stogy likes this.
  30. 62sedan

62sedan
    from Texas

Glad you got it registered but..... does that tag expire in 4 months? The sticker in bottom right shows March 2020. Just curious.