Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Total T questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gearhead Graphics, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I just picked up a wrecked total t. Plan is to knock the 90s off it and make a tribute to the t my dad built, and sold to have me.

The passenger spindle was bent in the wreck. They're stamped "total" but appear to be chevy style spindles. Does anyone know what they were made to resemble?

Photos to come, currently sorting out broken and repairable parts.

Attached Files:

2. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Pretty sure Speedway bought all the Total Performance T stuff. I'd try them.

3. Fordors

Fordors

B70B8999-1A90-4C1F-A217-B0E3C730C37C.jpeg
    Looks like an early Chevy, takes early Ford hubs, Chevy disc brackets and steering arms, and Econoline king pins. No idea why they developed a hybrid with so many differences other then marketing. If you bought their front axle kit to build a T then you were locked into their spindles. Cast ductile iron.
    Designed for the 1923 T bucket and vehicles with 106” wheelbase or shorter. Oh really? And what makes them so special for those cars?
    That is just Total BS.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Yeah. Lots of odd stuff, good way to lock in a customer.
    Speedway no longer makes total stuff, but did confirm the correct parts I need to replace it.

loudbang and catdad49 like this.

5. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA TO CHECK THE CROSSMEMBERS, MINE WERE BOLTED IN WITH A SELF TAPPING TRIANGULAR SHAPED BOLT THAT LOOSENED UP AFTER A WHILE

loudbang likes this.
  6. What makes you think the actual spindle is bent? If that centerline wheel is what was on it at the time it was wrecked I can't believe the spindle shaft is hurt. That Alum wheel isn't hurt bad enough to bend anything else. Do some more checking on the rest of your steering parts before you just start spending money. How about a photo of what you think is damage.

7. Had a Total Performance T in the 80"s.The spindles looked just like 49-54 Chevy car spindles.

8. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Well the wheel sat cockeyed once it had air in the tire and the king pin was definitely bent. I guess I should finish pulling apart the other hub and look.
    I need to take a lot of photos.

And yes, @RAT "T" you're correct, self tappers on the cross members and coil over mounts, they will all be going away, as with the nutsert body mounts that all pulled out in the wreck

loudbang and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  9. Knowing just a little bit about Spindles and Wrecks, those Tube Axles, welding on mount hardware and seeing your bent Tie Rod the Forged spindle would be the last thing on my list to think was the cause of the Wheel sitting Cockeyed. Your saying the King Pin itself is bent but I'd bet it's the actual King Pin Boss bent with the Tube Axle outboard of the welded on hair pin bracket.

upspirate likes this.
  10. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

If that spindle isn't bent... then I dunno what bent is...

Attached Files:

wvenfield, loudbang and Inked Monkey like this.
  11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Apparently , you are a smart feller.:D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Yeah, looks bent.You might find one on e bay.Other wise that spindle is such a hybrid that you may have to replace the axle to one that takes ford spindles to repair it.

13. Try a 1949-1954 Chevrolet front spindle. Make bushings to fit the king pin bore, and have the I. D. bored, and reamed to the Econoline king pin size

hrm2k likes this.
  14. Fordors

Fordors

Be sure to verify that the king pin inclination is the same also.

irishsteve likes this.
  15. Pretty sure I have this magazine. Let me know and I will go dig it out. I was involved with road test back in 75.
    I also think Speedway bought them out! Good Luck.

Larry 001.jpg

16. From a earlier post....uses Ford hubs.This spindle was a custom mess.

seb fontana likes this.
  17. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

It's possible that axle could be bored,/sleeved/spaced/ modified to acceptv49-54 Chevy spindles if the geometry ,( K.P.A.) is compatible , otherwise you're looking at a whole new assy .
    Hope you got a good deal on it .
    I put your picture on the nationaoTbucketalliance Facebook page because I thought I'd seen that car before , best guess is it was a total performance co. car used for advertising , it was in the total catalog in about '96 +-

18. Well I sure agree with you now! I can't believe how well that wheel survived the hit. :eek:

19. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Those entire axle assemblies where pretty lite weight. If the spindle is bent , which your photo shows, the axle itself did not survive without damage either. Order a new axle assembly and replace also level the chassis and measure to see if it is straight and square . They are nothing but 2x3 box tubing with lite weight cross members and spring out of shape with little effort.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  20. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

One person said on the aforementioned Facebook page that he may have a spindle

21. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

if the pic of the brown t is your fathers, you will have to do some frame surgery to get it like that one. obviously get rid of the grille and if i was you, i would just buy a new front end from speedway. you can see how much longer the front of the frame is on your t. cut it off and weld a new crossmember in. put the tie rod behind the axle too. i have always thought it is dumb to use your tie rod as a bumper.

22. manyolcars

manyolcars

How do you read others posts?

23. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

I HAVE A 40" TV I USE AS A MONITOR, BUT I CAN'T SEE LOWER CASE LETTERS THAT WELL AS I'M TYPING. I ALSO HAVE TO HOLD THE KEYBOARD ABOUT 5" FROM MY FACE TO SEE THE LETTERS

loudbang and Mr48chev like this.
  24. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i find it pretty silly to worry about how somebody types. it's just stupid internet crap about typing in caps. if the person is ragging on something what difference does it make if it's caps or not. don't tell me it's internet edict either. you should be happy his english is readable compared to some. i wouldn't mind if there highlighted either. i am old too.

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well we now know and understand Rat T's situation and so be it.
    On the T we know it needs an Axle, tie rod, spindle, at least one hairpin and ?? what else on the front end. that might justify a swap to a complete new front end setup.

26. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Speedway does a spindle they say fits, but I haven't gotten it in my hand yet.
    Frame is square, amazingly.
    Yes, I know it's longer than the one my dad had, it's also a stretched body that wasn't available when dad built his. It won't be a clone, but a tribute. And yes, I'm considering shortening the frame some too.
    Have a link to the Facebook group?

Going to take the axle to get it checked out, if it's straight I'll keep it, if not I'll be changing out to something much less convoluted.
    So many things to keep me busy on it, I haven't gotten nailed down on the front yet.

27. manyolcars

manyolcars

THANK YOU FOR THE RESPONSE. I HAVE SEEN A GUY USING A SCREEN WITH A MAGNIFIER CLOSE TO HIS FACE

RAT "T" likes this.
  28. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Tie rod and spindle for sure. Hairpin it just sheared the heim joints off, they will come out easy. Taking the axle to check it for true. If its bent, yes, whole new setup and less confusing spindles. Trying to save 700 plus dollars and not buy new axle. keeping my fingers crossed.

29. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

With the spindle bent like that ,is the hub/ bearings ok ?

30. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Hub was a fancy aluminum willwood job, It was a 2 piece unit. When I unbolted it, there were 4 or 5 pieces.
    Amazing all the damage, caused by drilling a hole in the steering box because the splines in the column were worn out.
    So many high dollar parts on the car, so many corners cut.