Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hood/radiator support rods,,thoughts

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by whitewallwilly, Oct 5, 2019.

1. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Hi Guys,
    I'm on the final stages of building a 1931 Model A Coupe,build thread is under heading

" Model A coupe build from down under New Zealand "

I have to make some radiator support rods to get around the oil bath air cleaner,otherwise I cant remove the air cleaner housing from the carb without removing the two support bars that go across the top of it,,I've also had to narrow up the soldered front support bracket so the rods have clearance past the top radiator hose,as seen in the pics,
    I'm thinking a couple of stainless rods bent round, shaped to follow the outside diameter of the air cleaner housing,,,with a stainless plate welded to the rods as shown in the mock up,, ,,at the front to tie the rods together,,, with some stepped holes,
    I would polish the bars
    I have mocked this up with welding wire ,,and looked at it every time I walk past the cars,still undecided weather I like it or not
    Has anyone got any pics of similar setups on similar cars,,or ideas/thoughts/suggestions
    Thanks in advance
    Pete IMG_6454.jpg IMG_6453.jpg IMG_6451.jpg T

Desoto291Hemi, Bam.inc and Stogy like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:... @whitewallwilly...first off Cool Hotrod coming together there.

While your Support looks awesome. I have some input on how a gently bent strut acts on a Model A. Myself I am reconsidering upgrading to straight struts...Why?...I believe bends contribute to flexing...I see it when I'm driving...the Shell shakes/flexes at certain speeds...

I notice another flex point or weakness in my setup that may be linked to blame...that would be the rad to shell attach...it is just how the shell tabs to the rad...but bent or curved bars allow or compound the situation...

The gusset will help but not sure about the curved section...

I have to mount the rear bar ATTACH points higher to give the right angle and clear the Carb Scoops...

I really like the bent bar but think it's a weak link...I've put up with it for 3+ yrs...

I'll post the link to the thread when I find it...

0_20180917_191755.jpg

:rolleyes:...love the look..
    Just not sure it's the best choice...

I will give high praise to the Walker Rad that delivers strength and performance under the Ole Jalopies periodic flexsisodes...:confused:...:D

Here's that thread link below...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/made-some-radiator-support-rods.1107494/

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    whitewallwilly likes this.
  3. On the 30 coupe i had, mine were bowed some but flexed alot. I had to go with straight ones to get rid of the flex.

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I’d suggest running two support rods separated on each side of the air cleaner and with two separate Brkts on the radiator.

RMR&C, Tim, whitewallwilly and 2 others like this.

5. Petejoe has your answer^^^^^^

whitewallwilly, nunattax and Petejoe like this.
  6. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I've thought about this myself.

I'm going to run a tunnel ram on my 440 and the only real solution I can find is to widen the mounting positions on both ends of the rods, moving the firewall side out towards the corners of the cowl. Then see how close I can put the shell side of the rods together and still clear the tunnel ram.

Also thought of bending but using bigger rods and building small gussets in the bends.

Curious to see what others are trying.

Stogy, whitewallwilly and pitman like this.
  7. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

@Stogy Can you run just a single support rod instead of two? My 27 only has one, straight down the middle

Stogy likes this.
  8. Where the design of your radiator support looks unique it does look slightly flimsy, with the lower radiator supports being bolted down using the radiator support springs the radiator is designed to rock a little making it less likely to do damage and leak.

The top rods are heavier to keep the top of the tank rigid, this is a area you really don't need to move around. HRP

[​IMG]

9. pitman

pitman

Have built 2 '31's, used straight rods & triangle f'wrd bkt. In HRP's pic above, possibly yours, Moving the firewall mt. holes outward toward corners will help.

Stogy and nunattax like this.
  10. I really like your design!
    I understand the others concern about vibration,,,,but this is just a mock-up.

If you go with a stronger rod such as Danny did,,,I believe it would be very sturdy.

I think the plate in the middle adds a cool factor similar to some of the old design ideas.
    It might even start some more to trying different things,,,,,and besides,,,if you don’t like it ,,you can always change it.

I like it myself.

Oh yes,,,,your engine layout looks great. You really did good work.
    I like the heater hose routing also.
    I really like this!

Tommy

Stogy and whitewallwilly like this.
  11. flatford39

flatford39

Put a flathead in it!!!

12. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

exactly............ just checked in my 38 chevy.an equalateral triange is the ideal or near as you can .my bars are 36" apart at the firewall tubes are 32"long and 2 1/2" apart at the radiator.this is a rigid set up.front mounts are on the rad support not the rad.used stainless tube and tapped internally.shimmed to adjust.stainless can be mirror polished if u prefer but I powdercoated satin black.think tube is more rigid than solid bar

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    Stogy, pitman and whitewallwilly like this.
  13. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Thanks for your imput,,, I understand exactly what your saying,, I was going to use 3/8" stainless Rod,, I see your bars look to be of similar size,
    Cheers
    Pete

Stogy likes this.
  14. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Thanks,

Stogy likes this.
  15. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Thanks for you imput, I've been thinking all night about other possibilities,so it was cool to check the HAMB this morning to see the replies,I get the point about flex and and vibration,I guess in this situation the radiator will move around a little , and I think that the original style has a good triangulation strength factor to it,with 4 separate rod mount points,,I'm going to think a bit more,
    Maybe go back to the original style, straight rods, but joined at the front,then when I want to remove the air cleaner housingthen its only a matter of loosening off two rear nuts,and un do 1 front nut to remove the bar,couple of minutes work,, the I've minimised the flex in the rods and still got reasonable strength IMG_0159.JPG

Stogy likes this.
  16. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Haha, thanks for that,had a little chuckle with your reply,,dearly love to have a flathead but
    doing the best I can with what I got,,,,,really like to build a model A Roadster one day, my choice of motor would be a GMC inline 6
    Cheers
    Pete

Stogy, nunattax and flatford39 like this.
  17. 5window

5window

It's not much of a deal to R and R the support rods. How often will you really need to service your air cleaner? The air cleaner is cool-could you convert it to a "longer interval for service' paper filter?

18. Good thinking,,,,things like this are always a work in progress.

Also,,,I think the use of the oil bath is completely cool !!!
    The routing of the temp capillary tube is thoughtful as well.
    Good job.

Tommy

19. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Careful, radiators are expensive.......

Stogy likes this.
  20. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Righto,,, thinking about going this way,,, welded a mockup deal,,,, takes 2 minutes to remove tthe Rod to access the air cleaner,minimal flex good triangulation,,an clears the top of the air cleaner and top hose,,,,an I'm liking it better than the curved prototype,,,,,,will build it out of 5/16 or 3/8 stainless ,,,unless my over thinking procrastinating mind thinks otherwise, IMG_6459.jpg IMG_6457.jpg IMG_6456.jpg

Attached Files:

Stogy and Flathead Dave like this.
  21. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Stole these 2 pictures from another thread here just now. Looks like his style of bracing would cure a lot of the movement and looks nice, too.

SPark

z1.jpg z2.jpg

Flathead Dave likes this.
  22. Hey Willy,
    I like that better,,,it reminds me of the old Ford V8 emblems!

How often do you service an oil bath anyway?

Tommy

whitewallwilly likes this.
  23. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Be quiet...I'm thoughting...

24. error404

error404
    from CA

the wider apart the bars are at the firewall, the more stable they will be

nunattax, Stogy and deathrowdave like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Long term plan is to run straight rods to repositioned cowl brackets...straight up from the ones below...I've checked and it's doable even with the current Frogs Mouth Scoops...that will give a more rigid triangulation.

I did upgrade the original 1/4" rods to 5/16 which removed some flex but not enough as the bends allow flex to still occur...

whitewallwilly and Inked Monkey like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not trying to hijack the thread but here are pics that illustrate how to determine in a crude way that there are possibilities...in my case the cowl supports will be maximized in the top of the cowl, with repositions still looking okay and perhaps improving flex to a lesser more tolerable degree...

We must remember with Hotrod mods and with repop or original cowls locations will have to be found while keeping in mind stresses...

0_20180523_211511.jpg

0_20180523_220526.jpg

0_20180523_220540.jpg

@Inked Monkey I really think having 2 Supports is very much needed and really is part of the OEM tried and trusted theme...

What generally sets the flexing of the Rad and shell off is road conditions which in many places is abysmal to say the least.

I am also of the opinion that the lack of a hood removes much of the support putting way more stress onto the remaining structure supporting the rad...

It still works but is what it is and it's just part of living the Hotrod Lifestyle...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    whitewallwilly and Inked Monkey like this.
  27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had to bend the left one to clear the fuel lines. I bent the right side to match because I have issues.
    upload_2019-10-5_20-55-53.png
    These are extra long supports that I bent over the trailer hitch on my parts getter, chopped them and cut new threads for the adjusters.

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your also running a Tied down fitted hood and that would add stability and assist what is lost through angled or curved support bars...

I should have and am considering a hood and a few other things to make it at least capable of handling the odd shower...

pitman likes this.
  29. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why don't you make the hold down for the air cleaner a stud that unscrews out of the carb? You'll only have to lift the air cleaner off the carb and not get up over the stud.

30. clem

clem

^^^^^^ This !