Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Insulation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by donno, Oct 5, 2019.

1. donno

donno

Getting ready to start ordering parts for my Merc. What insulation are you guys using? I'm looking / leaning toward FatMat and Dynamat. Preferences?

2. Be sure to search the archives. There was one that was a real loser but I don't remember which one.

Charlie Stephens

3. I recently used the Kil-Mat insulation in my old beater, I am pleased with the results. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  4. Latigo

Latigo

Using Dynamat in mine. Happy with the results so far but don’t have it all sealed up yet. Floors and doors made it noticeably quieter. When I was shopping it seemed that everyone was comparing their product to Dynamat so I figured it must be the good stuff. You can find a good price on Amazon occasionally.

5. error404

error404
    from CA

Noico here. Seems to be just like any good sound/heat insulation, but at a cheaper price. I like that they don't have their logo plastered all over the insulation and they also offer it in black, though I've never used black.

I've used dynamat in the past, it worked just fine. Seems to be the same as Noico, but Noico doesn't have the expensive logos :D

6. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I used Peel and Seal. Went on good, seems to be sealed down nice. Lots cheaper and no smell like some of the other cheaper stuff.
    SPark

insul66.jpg insul67.jpg

reagen likes this.
  7. BJR

BJR

I used KillMat on my Buick. Much cheaper then Dynamat, and looks the same as the Dynamat that I had.

8. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

[​IMG] I used Kilmat also and after spending big bucks on hush mat before this one and seeing it’s the same quality for way cheaper I’m sold on it and will keep using it

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. gene-koning

gene-koning

I used Noico on my last truck. I liked it really well. I used the black. It may be a while before it gets covered up, didn't want logos to look at.
    Bought it off Amazon for $67 for 36 Square ft (paid a $1 extra for the black instead of the silver.) It take 2 packages to do the full inside of a 39-47 Dodge pickup (with some left over). But their roller too. Gene

10. error404

error404
    from CA

Is the black version shiny, or matte finish? I have 1/2 a mind to do the inside roof of my truck with the black Noico insulation, and not have any upholstery on there. If it's not shiny, I think it would look pretty decent.

11. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Is Seal and Peel the material they used to sell at Home Depot or Lowe's for home repair? A friend mentioned using that stuff, said it was cheaper and in his opinion, just as good as some of the products marketed for vehicle use. Unfortunately the home stores must have gotten wind of it as they no longer carry the same product.

12. goldmountain

goldmountain

After reading stories about peel and seal, I went with KILLMAT since it is made for this application. Would hate to have issues further on by going too cheap which is what I usually do.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I have used dynamat and fatmatt they are both good quality, but fatmat is way more affordable

Sent from my SM-A600A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

There was a hamb alliance vendor who's product was called EZ cool insulation, it was a Dynamat style insulation. I cant remember his name and i am not sure does he still sell that stuff, but i havent hear a bad word about that product.

15. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have used Kilmat, Dynamat and BoomMat. BoomMat and Dynamat are noticeably heavier than Kilmat, which should make them more effective.

You said insulation but you didn't specify what kind of insulation, thermal or noise barrier. They are not the same. The aforementioned mats will do a lot to kill resonance, and therefore, noise but They are not effective thermal barriers. I put Dynamat's dynaliner in the roof of my Plymouth and it stays very cool on hot southern days. I bought a wagon that has no thermal barrier on its roof, and you can feel the heat radiating off of it on a hot day, plus the A.C. struggles to keep up.

Read up on thermal insulation and be sure to use it on your roof or you will regret it. Everyone talks about the firewall and floor, which certainly have to be thermally insulated but hardly anyone mentions the roof.

16. Lowe’s carries Peel and Seal in roof flashing department. I’ve used it with ok results. 6” by 25’ roll is less than $20. Your results may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

reagen likes this.
  17. BJR

BJR

You can buy different thickness of Kilmat. I bought the 80 mil.

18. I remember a thread that was about insulation this past spring or winter and a couple of people used something they got from Eastwood and they weren't happy with it. It oozed, ran and maybe smelled when it got hot. Maybe Eastwood changed suppliers by now.

19. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think i did, too.

20. gene-koning

gene-koning

The black Noico was .080 thick as well. I have the entire cab covered with it, that includes the inside of the roof. I have no AC, inside the truck is noticeably cooler then standing outside on 90 degree days. Moving with any air flow make it pretty comfortable.
    The Noico is not asphalt based like the stuff Eastwood sold was. The temp range of the Noico is suppose to be 200 degrees F on the high end, and -40 on the low end. You want to stay away from the tar and asphalt based insulation because it can break down in high heat. The interior of a car can reach 140 degrees if it is closed up in 90+ degree heat and that is higher then the asphalt stuff can endure.

For the guy asking, the black is not shiny, but it is also not flat black either, its sort of a semi gloss, or satin black. It pretty well blends in and isn't real noticeable unless you get it rolled out completely flat. I believe the non-smooth surface is what makes it blend in. I really don't have any pictures of it as installed in the truck. Gene

21. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Lobucrod is his HAMB name and I also have not seen him on here. His product is nothing like Dynamat but it is an excellent product. EZ Cool I believe is the brand he sells. In my opinion I will use Lizard Skin and his product on any future builds. I did a comparison of his stuff against some stuff I had in a couple of my cars including BQuiet which is a Dynamat type of product. His compared very favorably and is much easier to deal with compared to the Dynamat types. Something of note about the stick on based stuff, be sure to tape every edge. I did not bother taping some of the outside edges of the BQuiet including under the cowl and the lower portions of the top in my coupe and there has been some seepage of the sticky backing. Hasn’t really hurt anything but made me glad that I taped all seams on the inside of the roof.

22. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Last spring I was told at Lowes they no longer carried it. I had bought 3 rolls the month before and needed more. While walking the isles thinking what to do next I pulled it up on my phone and they still showed they had 35 rolls in inventory. Went back and walked the gutter area and there it was. 35 rolls. Showed it to the guy in that department and told him they still had it and he repeated they no longer carried it. Showed him the rolls again and he said "That's not Peel and Seal, that's roof sealer". When I showed him the Peel and Seal label he shrugged his shoulders and walked off.

I thought it worked great. Went down tight, no smell and it's well stuck. Used 3M aluminum tape to seal all the joints/seams. Have to go to the HVAC area to find it.

SPark

reagen likes this.
  23. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

FatMat Rattletrap followed by FatMat floor liner and 40oz. jute carpet pad, I'm very pleased with the end result...

27749892_532412997145140_5945443677072160913_n.jpg