Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '46 ford, no room for radiator

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1oldhotrodder, Sep 29, 2019.

1. 1oldhotrodder

1oldhotrodder

I have put a 351W in a '46 Ford and have the usual problem of not enough room for the radiator. Does anyone have a simple fix to move the radiator forward a couple of inches?
    Thanks for any help

2. Budget36

Budget36

I wonder if there was a different radiator mount for a 6cyl vs 8cyl?

1oldhotrodder likes this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yes there is a different radiator set up for the 6 cylinder cars and it gains you a couple inches.

Post some photos of what you have and we might have some ideas

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yes, need pics - been a while but, believe that I used a '67 Mustang radiator in my '47 with a 302, which is thinner than a stock radiator also, check speewaymotors.com for their shortie waterpump kit for 302-351

5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

try a Modine #397 …
    trapaziodal top tank that is center fill... pre-'70 ford and sbc ports …
    fits in a '28-'29 grill after removing most of the good size mounting flanges on each side...
    think it came from a '67 ford 6 cyl. pick up truck... both ports are slightly smaller...
    a mechanic buddy runs them in everything he builds … cools his sbc's...
    brass … $125 for him... $152 for me...

6. topher5150

topher5150

7. 6sally6

6sally6

Yes....SBF Have DIFFERENT length "snouts" on their water pumps.
    Don't axe how I figgered this out!!!!
    6sally6

8. 1oldhotrodder

1oldhotrodder

Thanks to all who replied. I have a few things to try now....

9. I have a 351w in my 47, walker radiator fits in stock location.. a little over 2” from water pump flange to back of radiator. Using a pusher fan for cooling.

10. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Cheap and easy stock parts to make it as short as possible.

Get the aftermarket timing cover Speedway sells. Very nice copy of a 1971 timing cover. Put a '69 water pump for a Galaxie on it. That gets you a right hand outlet so you can use a Chevy radiator (cheaper). If you already have a Ford outlet radiator go to a '71 water pump. Use the Speedway chrome cheapo pulleys.

If you have a 3 bolt balancer it's no problem, if you have a 4 bolt balancer you will need to swap to a ProProducts balancer with the correct imbalance (Speedway also has them). They have both 3 and 4 bolt patterns in them.

I also use the Speedway cheapo chrome alternator mount kit and it tucks the alternator in tight on the right side. Works best on a 302/5.0 but is easily modified to work on the taller Windsor.

You can use any of the 3 timing sets marked on the Pro Products balancer. I like to use a straight stud with a point ground on it screwed into the timing cover hole about 2:00 as you look at it from the front. Easy to see.

SPark

clr7.jpg clr8.jpg clr9.jpg clr10.jpg assembly2a.png assembly2b.png assembly2e.png

Texas Webb and Budget36 like this.
  11. Those are great tips. I’ve run the drivers side lower hose on mine for years but when I added power steering and subsequent pump to it this spring, I had issues getting hose to fit as the belt runs very close to it. The narrower radiator makes for a quick turn back from the engine, rather than the wider radiator used in the 70’s.
    If you’re planning on power steering, look into lm14 s suggestions and pictures above.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  12. A Boner

A Boner

13. 1oldhotrodder

1oldhotrodder

Thank you LM14. The best solution that I've seen. The pics are a great help.

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

And on an older suggestion up above...if you remove the piece of tin that forms a lid over the area between standard V8 radiator and the hood latch, you will be able to see the groove and bolt holes for the mounts of the 6 cylinder radiator. They give a considerable amount of extra room.
    But all in all, late model Ford engines are just plain a poor fit and ugly as sin in Flathead era Fords. Sorry, no way around that!
    Chevy engines seem to have been designed as replacements for flatheads.

15. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

16. Bruce, you got that right, the sbc's dimensions are very similar to that of the flathead V8. HRP

weps likes this.
  17. 3degrees'32

3degrees'32

A little late to the party...but in my '47 with a 440 in it, I noticed that the inner fenders had a flat spot where the top of the rad mounts to them. I drilled two more mounting holes for the heads of the carriage bolts could be pushed through the inner fenders and then dropped down into slots which I had filed to match the original style of hole. That brought the rad forward to the pinch point between the inner fenders . You will need to make a front upper shroud to seal off the upper rad. I was using an original rad frame with a custom 4 core, a 19" viscose fan and a custom rear shroud. @ 97 f. /45 min./192 degrees on a 180 stat.! Never nervous again !