Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage LIFE magazine 1957

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikeys53, Oct 5, 2019.

1. mikeys53

mikeys53
    from Pacific NW

Stumbled across this mag at a friends place. , Large section on the beginning of Drag racing

Attached Files:

• life.jpg
      life.jpg
      File size:
      127.1 KB
      Views:
  2. squirrel

squirrel

3. I ran up on a huge collection of life magazines at a antique shop more than 30 years ago and I bought this one and several others, I wish I had bought them all, they probably had a 20 year collection.

At that time I had a 40 Ford sedan and I bought the 12 issues of 1940 Readers Digest, I also had a friend that had a 32 Chevy and I bought the 1932 set of Readers Digest for him. HRP

4. I still remember the day that issue was delivered. I studied that magazine until the pages wore out. It definitely had an effect on me.

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I was at a car show a few years back and a guy was selling old magazines, including lots of Life magazines.
    @drdave was perusing the mags with me, and held up that issue and said, "Hey, would you look at this, only a couple of bucks." He handed it to me since he already had a copy and I bought it.
    There are a number of them for sale on ebay, but this one is currently the least expensive. I expect the bid will increase quite a bit before listing is over.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/APR-29-195...865905?hash=item2ad5feb4f1:g:lF4AAOSwZEtdk8CD

6. banditomerc

banditomerc

Always enjoy looking those old magazines with car culture articles.....yard sales are a good place to find..

7. rustythumb

rustythumb

also has the photo of the kookie T bucket!

8. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

A few years ago I was at an antique mall in NJ and there was a pile of Life magazines as big as a VW. I remember the issue also when it came out when it was new and over the years I lost it. I spent several hours going through the VW sized pile till I found it. I knew it was from 1957 but the pile was all mixed up. The guy though I was nuts and said so but I left with it under my arm.

kidcampbell71 and tractorguy like this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've got that issue. Selling magazines it a very tough way to make a buck, postage always equals the sale price. Bob

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I studied an old life magazine when I was in grade school, it was an article on topless bathing suits

kidcampbell71 and Jalopy Joker like this.
  11. Fordors

Fordors

I would disagree, I’ve sold plenty of magazines in the $7-10 range, and my biggest sale was $88. That was Vol.1 No.1 of Surf, or maybe it was Surfer.
    Like anything else, it’s all about supply and demand.

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Okay. I have a bunch of Life mags from the '30s and '40s. Since I have the supply can I demand good prices? All you hambers line up. :D

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

There was a thread on another site, were a guy was complaining about people that cut up old magazines for the ads. If eight bucks is what the market is for a magazine, but a full page ad for whatever sells for five bucks, I'm buying a box of razor blades. Bob

14. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

The '32Ford featured in the article was owned by local hot rod legend, Jack Eaton. Jack was instrumental in starting the "Road Panthers" in the early 50's. The club is still semi-active, with a few of the original members still with us. Unfortunately, Jack has passed on but his brother Ed is also still active in the hot rod community. The Deuce 3 window is now owned by Jack's son and is now full fendered. Some old timers from the area may recall the car from it's early days when it was called Debbies Deuce.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

1960's motorcycle magazines are a good seller to the cut out the ads and re-sell them crowd. I could care less what someone does with whatever they buy after they pay me. Not mine anymore.

kidcampbell71 and The37Kid like this.
  16. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. loudbang

loudbang

Those photos from Life have been posted by myself and many others over the years right here on the HAMB in several threads. Can't think of a way to find them all on here.

deathrowdave likes this.
  18. buds56

buds56

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

The POST covers are great, think there are 5-6 Hotbod related. Bob