Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Youngsters first hot Rod build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Axel de Groot, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Cool build! Great to see another youngster in the hobby (I'm 34)

Axel de Groot likes this.
  2. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

I borrowed a 30/31 firewall from a friend of me, so that i can figure out the engine placement. As most of you know, it is pretty tight fitting an 59ab in a model a...
    i rather not do any mods on my firewall, i rather move the radiator just a little to give clearence for the fan, using an elictrical fan is a big no!!

I am using engine mounts from vern tardel and also an k-member from vern.
    I Believe there is as many opinions on where to place the motor mounts as there are av8’s, so im not gonna bother asking

[​IMG]

Also bought myself a set of 46-48 rear lower shock mounts!

[​IMG]

There is a big swap meet coming up this weekend, im hoping to find some more parts!

Thats all for now
    To be continued..

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. missysdad1

missysdad1

Please...don't move the radiator forward for clearance! Nothing forward of the firewall will fit properly if you do and the car will look "funny" - awkward to the familiar eye. So many guys make this basic mistake and ruin the proportions of the finished car in the process. If you need to alter anything to get the motor to fit, alter the firewall. You'll be glad in the long run that you did.

4. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Im still not sure on that point. But im not gonna have to move it several Inches, im Talking about moving like 2-5 cm (1,5 inch).
    I have a friend who has Done that with two av8’ builds and you cant notice.
    I might adjust the firewall, like i Said im not sure.

Thanks for the tip!

catdad49 and chryslerfan55 like this.
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Nice to see a young man getting into our hobby . The Model A is looking good !

chryslerfan55 and Axel de Groot like this.
  7. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Cornelis is probably one of the biggest there has been in sweden, a true legend for sure!

The scooter is a crescent 2000, really cool looking if you ask me. If you look closely you can se another scooter (moped?) on the other side of my old ford, its a crescent compact!

chryslerfan55 and dutch deuce like this.
  8. Crescent ? Never heard of it. Is it Swedish ?

9. missysdad1

missysdad1

You are building a '30 - 31 so you can reverse the firewall and gain plenty of room to get the flatty in without resorting to moving the radiator forward. There are other tricks that can be used to get a V8 into a '28 - 29 without heavy butchery, just a nip and tuck here and there, like the old timers did it. I drive a Chevy-powered '29 (see my avatar) with stock radiator location and am building two more '28 - '29s (one with a Chevy V8 and one with a 'banger) along with a nearly-finished SBF-powered '31. They can all receive a stock hood and side panels. I may be over-sensitive about this proportion stuff, but to me it's really important. Good luck with your project.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    48fordnut, winduptoy, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  10. 33Doll

33Doll

So Cool!
    To see these young guys digging the oldie lifestyle!
    I need to see this car culture in Sweden for myself!

11. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Yes, crescent is swedish. But i believe it was actually founded by some americans and later on bought by some swede.
    Crescent is also a big manufacter of bicycles.

winduptoy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

So i mentioned the swap meet, right?
    Well the swap meet turned out real good.
    I bought an F1 steering box with steering wheel and shaft, also found a clean 32 pedal assembly. 42-48 spindles too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ct1932ford, brEad, catdad49 and 4 others like this.
  13. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

I can now see that i spoiled a chapter of my build thread
    if you look at the picture where i did a quick ”mock up” of my pedals you can see that the k-member, transmission and engine is in place, but more on that later...

14. 33Doll

33Doll

Agree heavily on Proportions, and axle locations!

15. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Looking good on that build, gonna keep keeping an eye on this one......

Axel de Groot and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Time to update you guys again.

After hours or maybe egen days of taking the engine in and out, moving the borrowed firewall forwards and backwards, putting my radiator on and of i finally decided on where to place my motor mounts.
    They are about 5.5 inch center to center from the radiator mounting hole.

As i mentioned before i am using the motor mounts that vern tardel sells.

[​IMG]

The ”ear” on the engine mount (see picture) is all the way upp against the front crossmember, wich equals about 5,5 inch from the radiator mount.

I replaced the original transmission mount with one from 32 since i am using an k-member.
    The k-member has been welded in place, but not the ”legs”, i Will wait with them at least the left one,until i start with pedals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rolled the chassie outside to get a look at how it turned out, and also to dream away about hot swedish summer nights cruising around in my future av8 coupe!

[​IMG]

I am doing some of the grinding and welding (unless windy weather) outside since my garage is rather small, as seen in picture, my dad has two bigger garages but they are filled with customer cars.

[​IMG]

48fordnut, ct1932ford, brEad and 10 others like this.
  17. OFT

OFT

Your garage is huge and has inside area to work in! I'm jealous! Things seem to be moving along nicely.

manitouguy and Axel de Groot like this.
  18. manitouguy

manitouguy

Great stuff! And I’m so jealous :)
    All those bits are what I need for my build and you seem to have found them all at a few swaps - wish it were that easy where I am

keep up the posts - fantastic

19. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

you dont know how happy alot of us here on the hamb are, to see some young guys help carry on our hobby! we talk about this subject alot and its great to see you moving forward! were all anxious to see the tailites on that coupe moving down the road with the flatty!!!:cool:

20. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Thanks!
    I wouldnt say it was Easy to collect all the parts, you normally dont find them that easy here in sweden.
    Luckily for me i know a guy who has been collecting Ford parts for all his life, actually his father started collecting long time ago.
    And even more luckily for me, he is willing to let go on some of the parts to me!

winduptoy, chryslerfan55 and catdad49 like this.
  21. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

And you probably dont know how happy i am to have you ”oldtimers” coming with tips and tricks for me, and also letting me have some of your old Ford parts!

Yes!! Everything they Will see is my taillights, because we all know how much of a race machine a flathead is...

22. catdad49

catdad49

Stay at it Axel. Every new build is an inspiration to others, both young or old. Happy Motoring and Welcome, Carp.

23. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

I boxed the frame last weekend. I Will not box it all the way, just from the rear crossmember up til the middle crossmember, as the k-member also provides additional strenght to the frame.

And now the recap stops, and for now and til’ the car is done, it Will be an day to day build

IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0296.JPG

24. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

I also have a question for the audience!

Wich radiator should i use? My orginal model a radiator is out of question, besides the fact that it is missing two water ports it is also one leaky bastard wich has cost me two blown headgaskets on the 4banger. And restoring and adding two water inlets/outlets will basically cost me as much as a brand new radiator..

I know that walker makes some super nice radiators but they are a bit pricey...

Is an aluminum radiator an good option?

I havent really decided if o want to run the stock 30 grill shell, or try to find a 32. The 32 grill shell is probably the most handsome if you ask me, but here in sweden i could probably buy two walker radiators for the price of an original 32 shell in decent condition

I Will use an mechanical fan for cooling if that makes it any easier for you to give me any tip

Cheers Hot rodders!

chryslerfan55 and catdad49 like this.
  25. OFT

OFT

I personally think the 32 shell is overused and should stay on a 32. The stock model A gives notice that this vehicle is a model A.

26. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

X2 all the way. Let the Model A's come out of hiding, free their souls, no more discrimination, they are hot rods too, oops I was watching the news and election coverage came on and it contaminated my thoughts! But seriously keep the Model A grille shell.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  27. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Made a little progress on the av8 today.

I split the wishbone, and i have to say, even though im building a hot Rod, Cutting up a very nice and solid model a wishbone feels kind of wrong. But hey, it sure was fun!!

Now you guys probably wondering why i didnt cut of the wishbones already on my car? Well some jackass has welded the whishbone to the axle, around the perch bolt. And instead of trying to rescue the original wishbone and axle, i bought an orginal model a dropped axle and wishbone, with new perch bolt.

I also painted the axle and wishbones today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next thing to do is to mount the dropped axle with perch and spring and spindles to the chassie!

All for now.
    Axel.

winduptoy, Shadow Creek, OFT and 3 others like this.
  28. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Looking good!

29. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Long time since last update. LOTS of work on my daily job with plenty of overtime hours, wich has led to few hours in my garage...
    however, front axle almost ready. Spindles mounted with new kingpin new bushings and bearings, new perchbolts with the lower shock mounts bolted to the perch.
    New shackles with new bushings.

Next step is probably to set up the wishbones to get correct caster angle.

[​IMG]

ct1932ford, brEad, winduptoy and 5 others like this.
  30. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Put the wheels on and lowered the jack down to see how she sits on all four, looks real good if you ask me, i like the stance.
    It Will be pretty ”raked” (is that how you say?),Low in the front is what i mean!
    You cant really see how it sits on these pictures but at least It’s something for you guys to look at

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have a good one! Im gonna take a cold halloween beer now.
    Cheers hot rodders!