Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Shakey Jake...Man or Myth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LANCE-SPEED, Jul 22, 2009.

1. rob bauer

rob bauer

In the early 1980's, I raced bicycles for S&S Headers out of Costa Mesa. (They also made bicycles.) They had a Bell helmet custom painted for me that was signed by Shakey Jake. It was an incredible paint job, orange, white and black with the S&S logo, my name lettered each side and perfect thin line pinstriping. Sadly, I was a teenager then and it got ruined like everything else in those reckless years.
    bmx-2_03.jpg

2. cabong

cabong

Shakey Jake was not just real, he was as good a human being as you could find. When I painted the Dream Truck for the last time, back in '85, he heard about it, since I did it in So Cal. I had know Shakey for many years at that time. He asked if he could stripe the old bugger. I handed him the key and said have at it. A week later, he brought it back. It was solid pearl white, no scallops. As he told me, "I did the front like Dean Jeffries", as he striped it once, "I did the top like Von Dutch", as he also did it once, 'and I did the back in my own style". It was great, and when asked how much, he said that he should pay me, just to let him do it. Turns out, he and Gary Emory used to play in the cab, while it was still attached to a pallet at Valley Custom. Shakey was a true gem of a man !!!!!!!

i7083, seadog, oldironcarl7 and 3 others like this.
  3. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

I started my sign career in costa mesa and opened up my first shop there. I had a friend who's shop was several blocks away and next to him was a man named Ed Newett that had a boat repair shop. Ed and Shaky were good friends and I would occasionally see Shaky at his shop. I never really met him but I knew who he was. One day on my way home I saw Ed loading a trailer full of old signs and asked what was up. Ed informed me that Shakey had died and he was helping his widow sell some stuff. I bought a double sided Mobile flying horse that was Shaky's and still have it to this day.
    He was local legend even when he was alive. I was just a punk kid painting signs to make ends meet.

4. roy187

roy187

5. roy187

roy187

Shakey Jake pin striped my 1969 Dodge Daytona In 1971. A legend.

oldironcarl7 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. That "Crow" wasn't me...,,,,, I think !

7. exterminator

exterminator

Hey Lance,are you the same guy that lived in Oak Hills a while back? If so,i need to ask you a question. Thanks, Jerry

8. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

It's nice to read so many complimentary things written about my friend Shakey Jake . A while back I was having lunch at the VFW post in Newport Beach and this nice 'lil '55 Buick was parked in the lot . I was happy to see that Jakes excellent pinstriping has survived the test of time so well . I still miss ya buddy . IMG_0207.JPG IMG_0206.JPG IMG_0203.JPG IMG_0204.JPG IMG_0202.JPG IMG_0205.JPG

oldironcarl7 and Surf City like this.
  9. FeliciaBabbitt

FeliciaBabbitt

That is cool that you have this car!
    I am his daughter. This chain of information has been very interesting to read. He was A great man, I was the little toe head that went everywhere with him.. The bug in events were epic for us!

seadog, oldironcarl7, 32SEDAN and 2 others like this.
  10. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Felicia , unfortunately this isn't my car , I just saw it in the parking lot and took the photo . Your dad was a really good man and we still speak about him often with good thoughts . RIP

oldironcarl7 likes this.
  11. 68Bird

68Bird

Did Chuck "Jake" also do boats in the early 70's? I am told he did my Dad's boat 'Nemesis' and a the name on a friend's boat 'The Big Surprise'.

Here is a picture of me, you can see the Nemesis name that was painted to the right. I believe there was more fade work and striping on the bow, but not sure if I have a photo of that.

[​IMG]

12. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I met Jake while he was striping Fiat sports cars at Dick Miller's store in San Bernardino. Some how the conversations went to how I had an old magazine collection. He came by the house and picked up the Honks and early R&Cs he needed -- just a few. I was in the 2nd or 3rd rebuilding of my Street Roadster and he said he'd stripe my car in exchange. Months later I drove down to his house (by the beach?) and he took me over to a his shop and did a fabulous job. One of his neighbors had a shop with 2-cyl. Crosleys that I didn't know existed. Two or three redos later and all that was gone.

68Bird likes this.