Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical San Diego machine shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trcooperone, Oct 4, 2019.

1. trcooperone

trcooperone
    from San Diego

I need to get my model A 4 banger stock flywheel machined for a V8 clutch and lightened.

Who in San Diego do it?

I tried calling a few places but they had no idea what I was talking about!

Thanks!!

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe call C&G in Escondido and ask them?

3. Contact Tatro Machine in San Diego. He has a number of utube videos on old car,and Harley custom machine work he does.

4. trcooperone

trcooperone
    from San Diego

I called him, he doesn’t do it....

5. try H&H flathead rebuilding in LA. Road trip,or UPS it to them.Theres always Bill Stipe in Plymouth Wi.I know he does them,but shipping is going to hurt.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  6. trcooperone

trcooperone
    from San Diego

Shipping sounds like it will hurt just to LA!

If I have to I will but I feel like there has to be someone in San Diego that does this!

Maybe I need to buy a lathe and start doing it myself...

7. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Try getting in touch with the guys from San Diego Roadster Club, I believe they meet at JBA once a month. Or maybe talk to Pete Ardeema. Funny I went to High School with Tatro;)

8. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Wouldn't surprise me if you can't find anyone who's running an actual business that's interested in modifying a flywheel. Facing is one thing, but once a shop starts removing significant amounts of metal to lighten it, they're buying near unlimited liability for a relatively small amount of money if the flywheel should come apart later on and injure anyone.

Business liability insurance policies for places like machine shops typically have language that excludes coverage for any sort of modification work that could endanger life or limb unless the design for that work is signed off by a registered engineer with experience in the specific field involved.

Best option is most likely to find someone who will do this sort of work as a spare time hobby thing in their garage, or buy the necessary stuff and "roll your own".