Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ever Had Windshield Visor Come Off?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Shift Wizard, Oct 4, 2019.

1. So....... I own a 1950 Chevy truck and an unmounted visor. I want to attach the visor but naturally, I don't want to sweat the visor ripping off. The truck is a tad too street roddy for my tastes and the visor would be a more traditional move in the right direction.
    First the backstory; I bought the truck from a lady who got it from a classic car dealer to use to promote her business. While being shipped on a usual trailer, long-distance to her, the visor tore off. She had it fixed and drove it around her town for a few years. I bought it earlier this year and had her/my shipper remove the visor for transport.
    So my question is....... what are my chances of having a similar sad story vs no issues? Any scary stories I need to know about? Will it noticabily wiggle up and down at speed? It'll have to take a number of 100 mile, interstate highway speed limit trips.

Visor1.JPG Visor2.jpg Visor3.JPG

It's a driver, not a show truck, and already has a little bit of no-big-deal road rash, including chips on the drip rail from when it was mounted in the past. There are also some Bondo roughly filled holes in the roof near the drip rails that would mostly be hidden if the visor is installed. You can just make 'em out in the photo.

2. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like there were no center supports used when the PO of your truck had the visor mounted. I think it had also been mounted rather high so that it was even more likely to be caught by air and ripped off.
    We mounted a Fulton Visor to my friends Panel truck and you can make out the two center support struts. Even at 110 mph the visor won´t move. My guess is, they skipped the center struts because your truck does not have the stainless divider moulding the brackets usually mount to.
    10.5.16 030.jpg

3. oldolds

oldolds

There should be a center support that mounts to the divider in the center of the windshield. Some applications have a support that mounts to the roof. Personally I would leave it off.

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

do they let fast-ish cars with visors run at the drags? like 100 mph.
    just curious,

5. That would be like pulling your 'chute at the starting line. :p

Thanks, guys for the replies. I never paid much attention to visor mounting before. The answer is obvious once you mention it. I'll probably put it on after I figure out the missing pieces.
    Go ahead and post any visor fail stories if you got 'em.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the visor in my old 49 Chevy sedan was screwed right into the roof. it did have the center piece though.
    it never came off .

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

My Dad when he was a teenager , bought and installed a new light metal visor in Gramps new 1955 Dodge pick up. Gramps and Gram took it to the city and a dump truck whizzed by and tore the visor like it was paper. Gramps not too happy, got home and told Dad to take the visor off, throw it away and never to customize his truck again.:D

8. CME1

CME1

I have had the Fulton Visor with center mount on several different cars of the '50s vintage. Never had a problem with any one of them.

The Shift Wizard and Baumi like this.
  9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Take a tip from the Model A guys .. drill a dozen 5'' holes in it.

10. BJR

BJR

Just say NO to visors and your problem is solved. Back in the day only old men had them. That was the first thing we removed if it was on a car we bought.:D

primed34 and The Shift Wizard like this.
  11. Your opine is duly noted. I've got one foot on your side of the tracks because I'm one of those who would shave all the emblems and some of the chrome. But on the other side of the tracks, I also want to make this truck more ol' school looking than it does now. (The visor isn't the full extent of what I'm going to change, but it would be a pretty big step.)

Based on info in the replies so far, I inwrapped more of the visor and found that it has a center mount after all. The 2 painted pieces in the 1st post, 3rd photo appear to clamp on the center bar of the windshield and bolt to a bracket centered under the visor. It's hard to spot in my photo because of the color.
    This puts me back to square one. Did the visor fail for the previous owner because of install error or is it an under-engineered mount system?
    (It looks like I could move that center bracket forward a little and give the wind a little less leverage, if that would help anything. ??
    DSCN1541.JPG DSCN1542.JPG

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  12. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I've got over 65K miles on mine and have gone 85 more than once. chevy, 48 002-4.jpg

belair and 49ratfink like this.
  13. Really? I must have been an "old men " at 16. My first two cars, a '40 Chevy and a '40 Buick had a visor. Course, never ran 100 mph in either. Tried. My '50 buick has a Fulton. It HAS run 100 mph. Visor still there.

Ben

14. I had mounted a Fulton Visor on the 41 Plymouth and as these visors are very rare in Oz I decided to ensure as much as possible it didn't fly off.....I made a centre bracket from stainless steel that clamped around the centre divider, much the same as that factory one that you have..........whilst the car didn't do 85mph the visor was much more stable and secure......andyd

Attached Files:

15. clem

clem

I thought that the tip from the Model A guys would be too fully weld it on..............