Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods D.A.M. Dumb A** Move

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stu D Baker, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Gman0046

Gman0046

Stu, don't beat yourself to death over it. We've all had mishaps along the way. Happens to those who do their own wrenching.

61Cruiser and Stu D Baker like this.
  2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Ouch!:( Glad you weren't hurt.
    I found it best to bolt 3/8 in. angle iron
    jack plates to stock existing holes in my stock 40 Ford frame and only place your jack or jack stands under those plates for safe support, especially when changing tires.

Early Ford frame rails are really pretty thin, weak and flex and bend easily. Don't think they were designed for "jacking".
    First 2 photos show plates at front of car. Last photo shows rear plate. Plates are on both frame rails.
    Metal shims were used to keep plates level.
    I did not drill any holes in frame. Perhaps you can do same to
    your 37. Stay safe.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  3. I feel your pain, and the dent it will put in your wallet after buying a new radiator.

Is it possible your local radiator shop can replace/repair the bottom tank? HRP

Stu D Baker likes this.
  4. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It happens to the "pros", too. Some years back I was a parts driver for a Pontiac/Buick dealer. One of the old "pros" let a new Buick down onto a steel roll around stool. He didn't know it until he was surrounded by new engine oil on the floor.

Stu D Baker likes this.
  5. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

This might be a feel good thread. I did similar stunt when the jack slipped and cost me a radiator. Now I don’t feel quite as foolish. Mistakes with jacks can be spendy.

Stu D Baker likes this.
  6. 34Larry

34Larry

I know the pain, and the feeling only to well. Like last summer when I posted not securing my Hemi down in the back of my PU and having it roll around in the bed. Pictures and your description bring back that feeling of "Damn how stupid am I"? And oh yeah, I did the same thing but only took out the original radiator. So see.................we all do stupid things in this arena. Sorry my friend, I just chalked it up to another experience and moved on while kicking my own ass in my thoughts.

Stu D Baker likes this.
  7. goldmountain

goldmountain

Jacked up my Ranchero, put jack stands under it and promptly squashed my new Speedo cable with the jack stand. Why is something simple as a Speedo cable so expensive?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stu D Baker likes this.
  8. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I sprung the hood latch on my '64 Fairlane last week.:( I forgot the "latch" under the hood was the safety catch, not the release. (my F1 and F100 have the release up high) I thought it was stuck so I worked and worked on it trying to pull-push....not damage the hood.......
    As soon as it popped, I immediately remembered the release on a Fairlane is above the bumber.....not below the hood.:oops::rolleyes:

Stu D Baker likes this.
  9. Hey Bill. Minor problem. Just don't make it any bigger by deciding to do additional work to upgrade other parts of the car. It looks fine .

scotty t and Stu D Baker like this.
  10. Years ago I was working on my old 67 pickup in an ALMOST flat driveway, I reached in put it in neutral and started it then went back under the hood. Next thing you know it slooooly rolling backwards, for the life of me I couldn’t stop it. Oh yeah I had left the drivers door open and the street light pole folded it up against the front fender!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    Stu D Baker likes this.
  11. I think we need a poll.......OK, who here has NOT done what is in their mind a stupid thing when working on their car?

Stu D Baker and scotty t like this.
  12. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have done dumb things as well. Letting a car down with a floor jack after removing jackstands. All was going good until the jackstand crunched the front fender from not being out of the way. Removed fender and repaired-dumb and $300!!

Stu D Baker likes this.
  13. 6sally6

6sally6

WOW!!! What a dummy! (You should be ashamed to even post that):eek::eek:

Although...........While working moving my off-topic Mustang I decided to"just roll it in the garage" instead of firing-it-up and driving it 10 feet. Hey...........it don't weight much, whynot?!
    Soooooooooooo while pushing it in the garage I run over my own damn foot!! Mashed the big toe.....hobbled around for a few days....endured crap from my wife and kids.....finally the nail "ALMOST" came off......... months later went to the Podiatrist and watched him SNATCH-IT-OFF....filed with the insurance company.........
    Yeah....you're a real dummy!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    6sally6

Stu D Baker likes this.
  14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Now that's a real bumber!

Stu D Baker likes this.
  15. mountainman2

mountainman2

Do we need a thread about how to safely raise a vehicle? :rolleyes:

Stu D Baker likes this.